Apple TV with faster processor, 'Find My Remote' tech could launch in 2021

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:
    How on earth would you trigger the find my remote when all the buttons are on the remote?  Might there be a button or some sort of UI on the next Apple TV?

How about any other Apple device?
    II guess though it seems more than a little bit absurd to have to log on to iCloud to get the remote that's slipped between the sofa cushions to buzz through a speaker/motor that only exists to buzz when it's fallen between the sofa cushions.

Reeks of over engineering, on a product that could really do with some engineering attention to make it functional rather than findable.
    Maybe you could have a button on Control Center on iPhone to trigger a buzz from the remote, just like you have on Apple Watch for iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 56
    dysamoria said:
    So I’ve really been thinking of getting an Apple TV for, I assume, a much better user experience. Yeah, nah?
    It’s a no brainer. Personally I think relying on TV OS is stupid. You buy TV because of picture quality, not the OS, and you will change your TV because of picture quality. Using Apple TV will give you consistent OS experience throughout all these TV purchases. You don’t have to start anew every times. 
    edited September 2020 lolliverFidonet127dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Now a days, most TVs come with AirPlay 2 and Apps support. I use my Apple TV 4K for AirPlay 2 and Streaming Apps because my LG TV is older. Also, like UI on Apple TV very much. People with smart TV still like to use Apple TV box to stream ignoring TV's built-in crappy apps. Apple TV gives consistent UI experience irrespective of the brand of TV connected to. My question, what more the next iteration of Apple TV will offer that makes me replace my current 4K version ? Admit, Find my Remote is a nice feature to have in set top box.

edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Can it warn me if I pick up my remote the wrong way around in the dark before I press the wrong button and rewind back to the beginning of the 3 hour movie?
    Pascalxxdysamoria
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Apple TV definitely in need of an update. Remote is inconsistent and one of its weaknesses.
    Ability to zoom in on images would be a nice to have.
    Ability to download images to the device would be useful rather than waiting for the images to load (painful slow despite ultra fast broadband).

dysamoria
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Can it warn me if I pick up my remote the wrong way around in the dark before I press the wrong button and rewind back to the beginning of the 3 hour movie?
    Get a sleeve. Problem solved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Some people here seem to get stuck on escalators when they get broken down. Get a sleeve for the remote. There is many different colors for the sleeves. Makes it slip resistant, you know which way it is pointing and if you get neon colors, they stand out really well. Our sleeves keep it off the table a little bit with the top and bottom being different sizes. This is nice if someone spills on the table, the remote doesn’t get destroyed.  The sleeves cover over the bottom part of the remote. This makes it easy to know which way is up. The sleeves protect the remote from being broken by drops. $10 and we haven’t had any problems. 

Go in to settings to change the sensitivity and what you want the home button to do. 

Get the remote app and set it up. Makes it good if something happens to the remote and works well. 

Setup another IR remote to do things on the atv. The atv has to see the IR remote, but it works fine. 

The interface and speed of everything is great.  We have zero problems with YouTube. We have had problems with the Weather Network app, however that is a problem with the app, and app developers, not Apple. Then again we don’t have a HomePod. App problems are those developers. Submit bug reports.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:
    How on earth would you trigger the find my remote when all the buttons are on the remote?  Might there be a button or some sort of UI on the next Apple TV?

II guess though it seems more than a little bit absurd to have to log on to iCloud to get the remote that's slipped between the sofa cushions to buzz through a speaker/motor that only exists to buzz when it's fallen between the sofa cushions.

Reeks of over engineering, on a product that could really do with some engineering attention to make it functional rather than findable.
    OK so you don’t actually have an iPhone or iPad, right? You’ve not used Find My? There is no cumbersome logging in. Tap app, see devices. 
    I do, but some people who have or would like to have an AppleTV may well not.

Also, I may well not have my iPhone or iPad to hand when I'm settling down to watch TV, and even if I do I need to find a rarely used app that's proobably buried in a folder somewhere.

I'm not saying it's a useless feature, but if I was managing the AppleTV backlog it'd be bottom 10% due to limited utility and UI in the face of many more pressing issues.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

OK so you don’t actually have an iPhone or iPad, right? You’ve not used Find My? There is no cumbersome logging in. Tap app, see devices. 
    Or just ask Siri where it is. You don't even have to touch your iPhone.
    You couldn't pay me to turn on always listening mode. Far too creepy.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 50 of 56
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

Then press the damn button.

crowley said:
    Also, I may well not have my iPhone or iPad to hand when I'm settling down to watch TV, and even if I do I need to find a rarely used app that's proobably buried in a folder somewhere.
    lol you seriously dig through folders to launch apps on your iPhone? Use Spotlight ffs.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 56
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    lol you seriously dig through folders to launch apps on your iPhone? Use Spotlight ffs.
    Ok?  So we've gone from "tap app" to "Unlock phone, swipe to open Spotlight, start typing Find My, open app, select remote".  It's faffy.  All to find a remote that's unlikely to ever be outside of a room, and probably has just fallen between sofa cushions.  Not a big deal feature, sounds like an irritating experience, and all the while the remote itself is widely viewed as sub par.  

Forgive me for not being blown away by this (alleged) waste of engineering resources. 
  • Reply 52 of 56
    It's in the drawer under the TV with no battery in it
    Right... no battery in it...  ;)

Also, the Harmony remote/app sucks worse than the real remote, as far as ATV is concerned.  I have three of those myself.  (When is Logitech going to give up Silverlight for the programming app?!)
    Yes, no battery.  When the battery on the Apple remote gave out, I removed it just in case I ever needed the remote again after programming the Harmony.

The only thing that irks me about the Harmony app is its refusal to let me use my phone keyboard for searching.  If that functionality exists, I haven't been able to find it.  Instead, it wants me to connect a Logitech BT keyboard, which ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    Ok?  So we've gone from "tap app" to "Unlock phone, swipe to open Spotlight, start typing Find My, open app, select remote".  It's faffy.  All to find a remote that's unlikely to ever be outside of a room, and probably has just fallen between sofa cushions.  Not a big deal feature, sounds like an irritating experience, and all the while the remote itself is widely viewed as sub par.  

Forgive me for not being blown away by this (alleged) waste of engineering resources. 
    You're the one insisting on taking the long route. The fastest way is to use hands free Siri and ask where your remote is. The second fastest way is hold the side button and ask Siri where your remote is. If you refuse to use those extremely easy shortcuts, you're insinuating you have to find an app that's "buried in a folder" so you're ignoring the third easiest method which is swipe down and type "Fi" probably before it shows up and tap it. Prior to that you insinuated you had to "log into iCloud" to do any of this, which is straight up intellectually dishonest if you know how Find My actually works. You're being willfully obtuse to make this (rumored feature) out to be a problem, when it's not for anyone who knows how to use their iPhone. It's not an "waste of engineering resources" when people have been literally clamoring for some way to find the remote when it goes missing!
    edited September 2020 beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 56
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Thanks for the feedback about the Apple TV experience.

As I’ve said about having to put cases on Apple phones just to make them feel comfortable and not slippery (too thin, too slippery), it’s just plain bad design if we have to modify the design with a case or sleeve, first party or third.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

crowley said:

Okay, so it's not for you. I'm sure someone will find it useful. You can just go ahead and search the room for the remote.

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 56
    dysamoria said:
    Thanks for the feedback about the Apple TV experience.

As I’ve said about having to put cases on Apple phones just to make them feel comfortable and not slippery (too thin, too slippery), it’s just plain bad design if we have to modify the design with a case or sleeve, first party or third.
    You don't *have to*, it's an option that some people choose to utilize. I don't have a case on my iPhone 11 Pro or my ATV Siri Remote and am doing just fine with both.
    watto_cobra