What to expect from Apple's 10.8-inch iPad or 'iPad Air 4' on September 15

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple is expected to launch a 10.8-inch iPad during Tuesday's "Time Flies" event. While there is some debate about what kind of iPad it will be, here's everything we know about the rumored tablet.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Is the 10.8-inch iPad an iPad or iPad Air?

At this point, it isn't clear whether the upcoming Apple tablet will be a refresh of the 10.2-inch seventh-generation iPad or the iPad Air 3, but it seems to be more likely to be the iPad Air.

Keywords for the live event stream were found to include both "iPad" and "iPad Air," which strongly suggests it will play a part during the presentation on Tuesday.

The iPad Air was last refreshed in March 2019, while Apple updated its low-cost iPad tablet in September of that year.

Well-connected TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that the device could take an "iPhone SE" strategy, packing speedy internals into a lower-cost footprint. That seems to suggest that it could be an entry-level iPad.

On the other hand, a leaked manual for an "iPad Air 4" seemed to back up rumors that the upcoming 10.8-inch device could be released under the Air moniker.

A Bloomberg report also claims a new iPad Air is on the way, but without offering specifics about the model.

In a note to investors in May, Kuo predicted that the 10.8-inch iPad -- whether an iPad or iPad Air -- would launch in the second half of 2020.

More specifically, prolific leaker Jon Prosser claimed in a tweet that Apple would debut new iPad models via press release in early September.

In late August, a series of unreleased iPad models surfaced in a Eurasian Economic Commission database, suggesting that a release was imminent. EEC filings typically appear one to three months before a debut.

Slimmer bezels, new design and display

The 10.8-inch iPad is rumored to sport an iPad Pro-like bezel design.
The 10.8-inch iPad is rumored to sport an iPad Pro-like bezel design.

Apple has been rumored to be developing iPads with a 10.8-inch and 11-inch display, though those may be two separate models. Most reports agree that the iPad released in September will be a 10.8-inch device.

More significantly, Apple is expected to axe the Home button on the 10.8-inch iPad and give the device much slimmer and more uniform bezels. The display itself could be a Liquid Retina -- the same display tech used in the iPad Pro.

A late August leak of alleged schematics also suggests that the device could sport an iPad Pro-like design with squared and flat edges. That would bring the device closer to the iPad Pro in form factor, as well as the rumored "iPhone 12"

Touch ID in the Power button

In what would be a first for the iPad lineup, the aforementioned manual leak suggests that the "iPad Air 4" would move the Touch ID fingerprint sensor from the Home button to the power button.

The manual, which was written in Spanish, refers to the use of "Touch ID with the top button" to authenticate and unlock the device.

Although questions remain about how Apple will deal with the new Touch ID placement, without a Home button or Face ID, the rumored iPad would need another solution.

USB-C port

The new 10.8-inch iPad is rumored to drop Lightning for USB-C.
The new 10.8-inch iPad is rumored to drop Lightning for USB-C.

Multiple rumors and predictions, including from Kuo, indicate that the new "iPad Air 4" model would ditch the Lightning port in favor of a USB-C connection.

That was corroborated by the supposedly leaked manual in August. A USB-C port would give the iPad many more options for powerful connectivity, and would bring the device more in-line with the iPad Pro lineup.

Processor

Current iPad, and even iPad Pro models, are equipped with variations of Apple's A12 Bionic processors.

A recent rumor suggests that the "iPad Air 4" would skip a generation and adopt some form of Apple A14 chipset.

Camera and accessories

Apple could release a variant of the Magic Keyboard with Trackpad for the 10.8-inch iPad.
Apple could release a variant of the Magic Keyboard with Trackpad for the 10.8-inch iPad.

Leaked schematics seem to indicate that the new iPad wouldn't have any type of new camera bump or LiDAR sensor, with the design suggesting that it'll retain a single camera setup.

If the rumors about USB-C and a squared-off design pan out, then it's likely that the iPad would drop support for the original Apple Pencil in favor of the new 2nd-generation model.

Like previous iPads, the device will feature a Smart Connector. One rumor suggests that Apple will also release a Magic Keyboard for the iPad that will take advantage of it.

In a note to investors in June, Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that the iPad shipped this year could sport a new 20-watt power adapter.

How much will the 10.8-inch iPad cost?

A report from August suggested that the "iPad Air 4's" adoption of Pro features could bring with it a Pro price tag. The rumor indicated that the device would start at $649.

Kuo's indication that the 10.8-inch iPad would be aimed at a lower-cost strategy appears to conflict with that rumor. These rumors could also be talking about different devices, and it's important to keep in mind that pricing rumors can be hit-or-miss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It’s likely going to be 2 new iPads, a new base iPad and a new iPad Air.
    There were 7 SKU codes but I think 3 or 4 of these will be for the iPad Pro refresh in Spring 2021.

watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Daddy needs a new iPad Pro. Come on, iPad Pro!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Im guessing this is the new “normal” iPad. It will bring it more in line with the Pro without all the bells & whistles. The $329 iPad will continue to exist as a cheap point of entry. Not sure why people think this would take the place of the $329 iPad. The whole “it’s like the SE” makes no sense. The SE didn’t use a new form factor. The $329 iPad is like the SE, old form factor, new internals. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    supadav03 said:
    Im guessing this is the new “normal” iPad. It will bring it more in line with the Pro without all the bells & whistles. The $329 iPad will continue to exist as a cheap point of entry. Not sure why people think this would take the place of the $329 iPad. The whole “it’s like the SE” makes no sense. The SE didn’t use a new form factor. The $329 iPad is like the SE, old form factor, new internals. 

But there is a difference between SE and $329 iPad. SE has the latest and greatest Apple's A series SoC at the time of its launch. Not so in the case of $329 iPad. It had 2 generations old A series SoC.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    I think an iPad Air 4 with A13, 4 GB RAM, 10.8" display, 128 GB of storage, and compatible with the Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2 would be great at $650.

Not sure what's up with the 10.8" versus the 11" display sizes. That's a pretty small difference, and why bother? Why not just make everything the same 11"? Maybe the case is the same as the iPad Pro 11, making it compatible with all the existing cases, but they want to use a cheaper display, and that necessitates a slightly smaller display to fit inside the iPad Pro 11 case?

If this new iPad Air starts at $650, it leaves a hole at the $500 price point. So, a 9" iPad mini with iPad Pro design language moves up to the $500 price point?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I am looking at a new Pro as well, but I'm starting to think if the iPA has Pencil 2 support, and A14, and a really good display, then I might save a few hundred and go with that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    I am looking at a new Pro as well, but I'm starting to think if the iPA has Pencil 2 support, and A14, and a really good display, then I might save a few hundred and go with that. 
    I’m actually in the exact opposite situation. I’m in the market for a new Air, but if it is to be priced so close to the Pro’s I’ll probably just spend a little bit extra for the Pro upgrade. That’s why I don’t believe the $649 rumor for one second. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Japhey said:
    DAalseth said:
    I’m actually in the exact opposite situation. I’m in the market for a new Air, but if it is to be priced so close to the Pro’s I’ll probably just spend a little bit extra for the Pro upgrade. That’s why I don’t believe the $649 rumor for one second. 
    There’s always a better one. ;)

If this new iPad Air comes out in October for say $500, the next round of iPad Pros is likely in March, 2020. 

Those iPad Pros are rumored to have miniLED, and that is a huge feature for me. Would pay 2x for it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tht said:
    Japhey said:
    DAalseth said:

If this new iPad Air comes out in October for say $500, the next round of iPad Pros is likely in March, 2020. 

Those iPad Pros are rumored to have miniLED, and that is a huge feature for me. Would pay 2x for it. 
    Aghhhh! That’s right, MiniLED is on the horizon. Well, maybe I’ll wait. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    DAalseth said:
    tht said:
    Japhey said:
    DAalseth said:

Aghhhh! That’s right, MiniLED is on the horizon. Well, maybe I’ll wait. 
    Sooner would be better. ;)
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I don't give as much credence to the piece with the schematics being the base iPad than to the tweet with the iPad Air booklet.

The former offers nothing except a set of indecipherable, albeit authentic-looking, drawings and the claim that they represent the iPad.  It would be very simple for anyone to download Apple's Guidelines PDF, take the iPP drawings, crop and scale them to obscure any details, and then claim it as a leak.

The booklet could still be fake, but would at least get credit for effort.  The notion that a new Air would be a sort of Pro-lite, omitting Face ID, but mimicking the form factor is more logical than the claim that the plain iPad would get Face ID before the mid-range Air even does, as those schematics imply.

Apple's strategy with their budget models has been to recycle old form factors with up-to-date internals, especially with the iPad line, most of which carry forth the Air/Air 2/Mini casings.  That the base iPad would take such a large leap to so closely resemble the Pro is unlikely.

I'm ready for the Air 4, but if Apple prices it too close to the Pro, it will be a tough decision.  But Apple's very good at getting shoppers to step up with their product segmentation and pricing.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    The air 3 at $499 was a nice mid level iPad. If this new one is a 10.8” with slimmer bezels, USB-C, it seems really close to the 11” Pro. It’s real close to having three Pro models and the introductory model at $329. It will be interesting to see what Apple does.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I am hoping, for Apple's sake, that they take the long term view here and take advantage of the current rush to work from home and cyberschooling to get their iPad (with keyboard, trackpad and pencil) into as many hands as possible.  That means an upgraded iPad -- not an expensive iPad Air or Pro.   The existing iPad Gen7 is running an outdated A10 processor and (from my grandson's Gen6) I see a noticeable lag to it -- particularly using an Apple pencil on Google's Canvas software.

But, meanwhile, iPad with external keyboard and mouse has become a very solid laptop competitor -- but few recognize it as such.

Meanwhile, for instance, my grandson's school has ordered and is waiting to receive the Dell equivalent of the iPad with external keyboard, trackpad and pencil.   Yes, it's a cheap imitation in every sense of the word.   But, long term, wouldn't it be better for Apple (as well as the world) if they and others invested those tens of thousands of dollars into Apple products?

But, instead, their students are being indoctrinated into Windows and Google platforms.   From a long-term perspective, that is NOT GOOD for Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I am hoping, for Apple's sake, that they take the long term view here and take advantage of the current rush to work from home and cyberschooling to get their iPad (with keyboard, trackpad and pencil) into as many hands as possible.  That means an upgraded iPad -- not an expensive iPad Air or Pro.   The existing iPad Gen7 is running an outdated A10 processor and (from my grandson's Gen6) I see a noticeable lag to it -- particularly using an Apple pencil on Google's Canvas software.

But, meanwhile, iPad with external keyboard and mouse has become a very solid laptop competitor -- but few recognize it as such.

Meanwhile, for instance, my grandson's school has ordered and is waiting to receive the Dell equivalent of the iPad with external keyboard, trackpad and pencil.   Yes, it's a cheap imitation in every sense of the word.   But, long term, wouldn't it be better for Apple (as well as the world) if they and others invested those tens of thousands of dollars into Apple products?

But, instead, their students are being indoctrinated into Windows and Google platforms.   From a long-term perspective, that is NOT GOOD for Apple.
    Sales into school IT departments are like sales into Enterprise IT departments. There's a large management software component that Apple needs to put a lot more effort into. Then, they need to manage this part to near zero margin. For Education IT, the hardware and software margins are driven even farther down with minimum unit costs for both hardware and software. Apple doesn't like to do this type of business. So, they do what they have been doing. Make some deals with some charter schools and school districts who want iPads.

Long term, I don't think being absent in K-12 will be a problem one way or the other. Kids and their buying habits change. (Same thing with adults). They aren't loyal to the commodity brands which are in offices and desks, and will buy whatever hardware they find attractive. So, Apple's job is still the same: offer great products at the price points they offer. The sales will take of itself if the products are market leading.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tht said:

Sales into school IT departments are like sales into Enterprise IT departments. There's a large management software component that Apple needs to put a lot more effort into. Then, they need to manage this part to near zero margin. For Education IT, the hardware and software margins are driven even farther down with minimum unit costs for both hardware and software. Apple doesn't like to do this type of business. So, they do what they have been doing. Make some deals with some charter schools and school districts who want iPads.

Long term, I don't think being absent in K-12 will be a problem one way or the other. Kids and their buying habits change. (Same thing with adults). They aren't loyal to the commodity brands which are in offices and desks, and will buy whatever hardware they find attractive. So, Apple's job is still the same: offer great products at the price points they offer. The sales will take of itself if the products are market leading.

In my own experience that was not the case.
    My grandson loves his iPhone which he is very comfortable with and, probably because of that experience asked for a MacBook which I bought for him this past Christmas.

He was thrilled!
    But, shortly afterwards he refused to use it and his mom agreed because neither could deal with MacOS -- because they were unfamiliar with it.   So, I caved to the reality of the situation and used BootCamp to install Windows 10 and both are now thrilled with the machine.   (It also conforms to his school district's requirements for a machine to use with their cyberschool)

Computers and particularly the software they run are very personal products and people feel most comfortable using what they are familiar with.  They have little or no incentive to learn something new unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

In short, I think Apple has been making a mistake by ignoring the education market where lifelong habits are built.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 16
    aderutter said:
    It’s likely going to be 2 new iPads, a new base iPad and a new iPad Air.
    There were 7 SKU codes but I think 3 or 4 of these will be for the iPad Pro refresh in Spring 2021.

Now THAT makes sense!
    It seems everybody is discounting the possibility of an upgrade to the iPad Gen 7.   But, that is the one that desperately needs an upgrade!

While it is true as AI reports here that it was upgraded more recently than the iPad Air, it must also be realized that that upgrade was very minor and the iPad Gen7 still sports a now ancient A10 processor.   My own experience with that processor (in an iPad Gen 6) is less than satisfactory:   when using it to access it the internet it performs adequately.   But, when you try to use Apple's pencil it stutters:   there is a noticeable lag and, at times, it freezes for 5, 10, 15 seconds while that poor, decrepit processor tries to catch-up.   And, today those problems become even more pronounced as kids all over the country are being asked to use their tablets to do school work from home.

For my 8th grade grandson, he has to do his math on his iPad where he has to solve equations and show his work.   He can physically do it on his MacBook but it is extremely slow and tedious to type out those equations.  So, we use his iPad with an Apple pencil to write them out as if he were doing it with paper and pencil.   Mostly it works pretty well, but when it freezes up it is frustrating.

Come on Apple!   Step up to the plate!   The millions of kids trying to do school work from home need an update to that old A10 processor which, by next week will be 4 generations back!