Apple Marina Bay Sands in Singapore unwrapped, opening soon

Posted:
in General Discussion
The newest Apple Store in Singapore -- Apple Marina Bay Sands -- is very near opening, and coverings and construction scaffolding are being removed from the structure.

Apple Store Marina Bay Singapore
Apple Store Marina Bay Singapore

Apple has not provided an exact release date for the new Apple Store, but their promotions all say "soon" as the final design is revealed. Photos of the building have shown a colorful sphere wrapped up and floating on the water, but now the wrapping is coming off.

This is the first Apple Store built on water, and was designed by Foster + Partners. The design company is famous for working with Jony Ive on constructing Apple Park as well.

Marina entrance to the Apple Store
Marina entrance to the Apple Store

Waterside entrance to the Apple Store
Waterside entrance to the Apple Store

The first Apple Store built on the water
The first Apple Store built on the water

The final design revealed as coverings removed
The final design revealed as coverings removed

Designed by Foster + Partners
Designed by Foster + Partners

Colorful displays wrap around the base of the sphere
Colorful displays wrap around the base of the sphere

AppleInsider reader Zhijian Tan provided the new photos of the location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I was blown away the first time I saw pictures of this Apple Store. The most beautiful one yet.

Also is that an actual bar or cafe up there? Is that on the Apple Store property? Can't figure that picture out. Looks like a "mall"entrance but I see no mall.
    patchythepiratedoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Foster have knocked it out of the park again. Let’s just hope that skinny bridge has been designed to take the weight of all the fanbois queuing up for iPhone 12 on launch day ߘ⦬t;span>

edited September 2020 Beatsdoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I was in Singapore when they were building that hotel. I thought it looked like a docking port for an alien spacecraft. What an amazing structure in a magnificent city/state/country.
    edited September 2020 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I hope the HVAC of this store is strong enough to cool a glass dome that's under the Singapore heat/sun.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    In next season's Westworld, Rehoboam has come back even bigger and better…

Seriously, though, if the show returns to Singapore for more shooting, it would be fun to see them work the store into a shot somehow.
    doozydozenBeatsradster360watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Beats said:
    I was blown away the first time I saw pictures of this Apple Store. The most beautiful one yet.

Also is that an actual bar or cafe up there? Is that on the Apple Store property? Can't figure that picture out. Looks like a "mall"entrance but I see no mall.
    It appears you go through the mall ‘entrance’ to cross the bridge and into the store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    NicB said:
    Beats said:

It appears you go through the mall ‘entrance’ to cross the bridge and into the store.

oh ok! I think I see it! I thought you just get to the bridge via the dock there So the "real" entrance is further away. I wonder if there's a second bridge for convenience or if that's against the mall's rules.

I'm wondering if Apple should start setting up mini malls with the store as the center and cafes/shops around it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    NicB said:
    Beats said:

The interior entrance from the mall leads to an underwater passage that either ends up at the bottom level of the store, or up a set of stairs or elevators into the sphere, if the adjacent Vuitton store serves as the template.  It also sits on the water.

The bridge just leads to an alternate exterior entrance.

Another story has mistakenly speculated that it floats, but it's a permanent structure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    That might sell in Singapore, but it looks very unattractive to my eyes. Also, there’s a solid case against an altered red Apple logo in their signage. Changes to the logo result in dilution of the value of a consistent brand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    That might sell in Singapore, but it looks very unattractive to my eyes. Also, there’s a solid case against an altered red Apple logo in their signage. Changes to the logo result in dilution of the value of a consistent brand.
    That “signage” is just the temporary wrapping and gate blocking the bridge. Look up the final photos, there is no “altered red logo”.