Amazon stops Flex drivers gaming system by hanging iPhones from trees

Posted:
in General Discussion
Amazon has fixed an issue with its Flex contract delivery driver app that allowed savvy drivers to pick up more orders for delivery than others, a trick to game the system that involved hanging an iPhone on a tree near Whole Foods stores.

Amazon Flex is the major retailer's app-based service for on-demand deliveries, but one used by drivers who actually make the deliveries rather than customers. If a delivery is to be made for Amazon's Prime Now, Amazon uses the app as a dispatch system, alerting potential drivers to a delivery that can be picked up and delivered.

According to a report from Bloomberg, some drivers savvy to how the system worked were able to secure more deliveries within the dispatch system than others, by hanging iPhones running the app on a tree near Whole Foods and Amazon depots that offer same-day deliveries.

By keeping the smartphones near to the depots in Chicago, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C. areas, this made the driver seem to be far closer and more immediately able to pick up the delivery than others, even if they were in reality miles away. As each delivery was worth $15 to the drivers, plus any tip, the competition led to some Flex drivers coming up with inventive ways to be picked.

Previously, this included hanging around in Whole Foods parking lots, though Amazon warned drivers away from such behavior in June. "Waiting in the parking lot or using the store Wi-Fi is not an effective way to increase one's chances of seeing an instant offer," Amazon said in a statement.

To combat the gaming of the system, Amazon has changed the way the app works, with one source familiar with the app claiming it only required a "few lines of code." Though the actual changes were not revealed, it appears that Amazon didn't simply create a dead zone around store locations to discourage phone-hanging and stalking the parking lot, as doing so would increase delivery times for consumers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sorry, I don’t understand this article or why I should be... concerned(?).
    edited September 2020 macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Funny but risky if a kid sees the iPhone hanging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Sorry, I don’t understand this article or why I should be concerned(?).
    Entertainment. Involves Apple's greatest innovation and how it's being used today.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    It simply shows a bug in the program Amazon uses, just like other bugs. It also shows how Amazon drivers have been able to cheat the system. The biggest thing the article discusses is the $15 service charge the driver gets for same day delivery. I don't generally order through Amazon. Is that how much more you're charged for same-day delivery?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rob53 said:
    It simply shows a bug in the program Amazon uses, just like other bugs. It also shows how Amazon drivers have been able to cheat the system. The biggest thing the article discusses is the $15 service charge the driver gets for same day delivery. I don't generally order through Amazon. Is that how much more you're charged for same-day delivery?
    If one has Amazon Prime I believe most of these delivery options are free, but only if the item in question either comes from a local Amazon warehouse or store located nearby.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Funny thing about the original story on Bloomberg is nowhere does it say "iPhone." Nor does the follow-up article, or any of the aggregator versions that then amplified the original article. In fact, this version here at AppleInsider is the only one that mentions "iPhone."
    SpamSandwichdysamoriaentropysuraharaRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    If they’re actually using iPhones and not cheap, junk Android phones - Then I’m not seeing how the math works.

Strapping pricey phones on trees, paying for a phone plan, and make enough in deliveries to subsidize that?  They must have really been racking in the money.
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Ummm...
    the story here is that Amazon treats its workers so terribly they are forced  to go to great extremes just to feed their families.
    edited September 2020 bonobobDogpersonrotateleftbyteapplguywatto_cobrawelshdog
  • Reply 9 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    bsnjon said:
    Ummm...
    the story here is that Amazon treats its workers so terribly they are forced  to go to great extremes just to feed their families.
    That’s the gig job market. It’s shit.
    rotateleftbyteuraharawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sflocal said:
    If they’re actually using iPhones and not cheap, junk Android phones - Then I’m not seeing how the math works.

Strapping pricey phones on trees, paying for a phone plan, and make enough in deliveries to subsidize that?  They must have really been racking in the money.
    What are you even talking about?  Pricey phones?  Why would they need to use a pricey phone?  A cheap older brand new in the box iPhone 7 can be had for $200.  Toss in a cheap phone plan from an MVNO and Bob's your uncle.  Drivers using 2nd hand used iPhones would have even less invested in the scheme.  The math works whether the device is a cheap iPhone or cheap Android device.  
  • Reply 11 of 13
    sflocal said:

What are you even talking about?  Pricey phones?  Why would they need to use a pricey phone?  A cheap older brand new in the box iPhone 7 can be had for $200.  Toss in a cheap phone plan from an MVNO and Bob's your uncle.  Drivers using 2nd hand used iPhones would have even less invested in the scheme.  The math works whether the device is a cheap iPhone or cheap Android device.  
    Always loved that phrase “...and Bob’s your uncle.” Makes me smile every time.
    CloudTalkinpscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Beats said:
    Entertainment. Involves Apple's greatest innovation and how it's being used today.

Beats said:
    It's really kind of you two to help the afflicted.

bsnjon said:
    Ummm...
    Yeah, Amazon should be paying them $50 a pop instead of $15 with an additional $20 an hour per delivery since they're forcing them to take the gig in the first place. Cue the violin section and the montage of starving children...

Amazon does treat many employees poorly but it's not like they hire or deal with people to capture their fellow Man and transport them to another country to enslave them.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    neoncat said:
    Funny thing about the original story on Bloomberg is nowhere does it say "iPhone." Nor does the follow-up article, or any of the aggregator versions that then amplified the original article. In fact, this version here at AppleInsider is the only one that mentions "iPhone."
    I didn't see the original, but heard about it on a podcast and they said cheap Android phones. While both were maybe guessing, that cheap Android phone sounds much more believable. But, even then... wouldn't someone just go collect them? Or, at least cut-down all the competitor phones and toss them into a not-so-nearby river?