How to test a used Mac before you buy it

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
There's plenty of life left in second-hand computers, especially if you happen to be shopping for an affordable student computer before the school year begins. With many districts implementing remote learning, the student computer is more important than ever, but how do you know if what you're buying is any good?

A typical 2017 Macbook Air for sale

Before anything else, check a used Mac for iCloud lock, firmware passwords, and MDM

The ideal situation is one where the person selling the computer has wiped it and done a fresh install. When you start it up, you'll be presented with the steps to create a new account and can start running the test applications we named previously.

But, if you see that you start the Mac and it asks for a firmware password, make sure the seller knows that password. It's possible that you may be able to boot to recovery and reset or disable it, or that you could ask Apple Support to disable it if you have a proof of purchase.

However, be aware this may be the point where it's easier to back out of the sale than deal with it.

iCloud lock is another security concern: if you're viewing a Mac for purchase, and on startup it says that it needs to be unlocked by iCloud, walk away. There are other Macs available for purchase.

Businesses and schools manage large numbers of devices using MDM, or mobile device management. An MDM supervisor can lock a device by placing it in lost mode.

In order to make such a machine worth purchasing, you need to have the seller log in, and remove the MDM profile from the machine. This is sometimes done by going to System Preferences > Profiles. Choose the Mobile Device Management profile, click the remove (-) button, and confirm the profile removal.

If the seller isn't able to do so, do not buy this Mac.

What diagnostics can you run, quickly

Let's say you find a listing on Craigslist, Facebook, Offerup, or Letgo, and you agree to meet a stranger, wearing masks. You only have a few minutes to test a computer without wearing out the patience of your seller. What can you do to make sure you're getting a good machine?

When we go to check out a computer, we have to do it relatively quickly, so that means coming prepared. We prepare a USB drive with a few utilities on it to diagnose a machine.

Physical inspection

Look at the machine from every angle. Does it have dents or scratches on it? Does it appear to have been abused?

Are the corners dented? You're looking for signs of a drop that may have damaged internal components.

Look at the screen. Does the display glass appear evenly black across it, or does it look like the glass is de-laminating?

Look at the ports. Make sure they look undamaged. Note that it is relatively normal for a MagSafe port to have black marks inside it.

this is pretty normal

Also look at the power adapter for any signs of damage or discoloration. Sometimes the cable will break or burn at the MagSafe connector, or near the power brick.

this discoloration is not typical

Discoloration is a sign of an internally damaged cable, and one that may be necessary to be replaced in the future. This shouldn't stop you from considering purchasing the computer, but it is a cost to plan for.

Apple Diagnostics

The first test you can do is run Apple Diagnostics. Long ago, this was called Apple Hardware Test, and it came on a DVD.

For modern Macs made since 2013, hold down the D key when you power on the machine. Macs from 2011 that shipped with 10.7 Lion will launch Apple Hardware Test when started up while holding down D.

The only failure or warning you should be okay with is a failure to test the power supply charging capability. This is fine, if you're in a parking lot and are unable to plug in to the power adapter.

This is not good. Do not buy a computer with this result.

Test the battery!

Batteries do not last forever. They can perform worse over years of charge-discharge cycles and eventually become worn out.

Apple does try and extend the life of the battery through power management and managing how quickly the battery recharges. Even so, the usable capacity of the battery will decrease over time.

Coconut Battery is an application that shows current battery health, including number of cycles, full charge capacity, and design capacity.

This is the author's battery. This is not good.

What you're usually looking for is how much full charge capacity remains, as it erodes as batteries age and go through charge-discharge cycles. A battery three years old may be capable of just 90% of the capacity it was designed for.

This isn't necessarily bad, but it can be a negotiating point for lowering the price.

How to check the LCD for discoloration or dead pixels

Decades ago, it was more common for LCD screens to occasionally have bad pixels. A pixel can be dead (always black, never lights up) or stuck (always on, never turns off).

Michael Simmons, the person behind apps such as DJay Pro and Fantastical, started out 20 years ago by writing a little application called PiXelCheck.

PiXelCheck isn't actively developed any longer, as it was last updated in 2012. But, it still runs on macOS Mojave, and we've confirmed that it will run on macOS Big Sur.

The utility will cycle through red, green, blue, white, and black screens to help you see dead or stuck pixels. It can also help show if there's backlight damage.

When pressure has been applied to the back of the display and it's pushed on the backlight layer of the inside of the screen, you may see brighter areas of the screen. It can also help you see 'stage light' problems, where you can see individual LEDs at the bottom of the screen, or brighter light at the bottom of the display than the top.

Checking the SSD

SSDs are generally more reliable than hard drives, but they do have a finite life, based on how many rewrites of sectors that it has performed over its life. If you have time while meeting the patient stranger selling their computer, run DriveDx.

DriveDx has a 15-day trial, which is more than enough for testing a potential purchase, and will show health indicators of the SSD, including warnings of pre-failure.

There's a lot of information here, but look for anything not green.

Conclusion

Thanks to Intel's slow processor march for the last eight years, you can still get an old Mac that will do what you need it to do. However, it's vital to be sure that it works, and works well before you plunk down cash.

Running these checks will help you make a good choice and hopefully provide you with a Mac that will serve for years to come.
tobybeagle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I have not bought a new computer in over 20 years* and have saved thousands of dollars while being able to use high end gear.
    Instead, I buy used from EBay and only EBay!  Why?   Because it is the safest place to shop that I know of:

First, I check out the machine and its specs and price including shipping costs to insure it will meet my needs.
    Then I check out both the pictures and the seller's description of this particular device paying special attention to damage or problems.
    Then I check to see if the seller listed the device as returnable (for any reason)
    Then I check how many sales the seller has made on EBay (zero is red alert for a problem!) and their ratings (98% positive is my lowest with 99% and better preferred).
    Then I check where it is coming from (which can determine how long shipping will take)

But, even if the device is not marked as returnable there is still recourse:   If the seller misrepresented the machine (say by not listing or showing damage or a defect, etc...) the first course is to contact the seller & ask for a return.   If that does not produce results you can appeal to EBay, present your case and, if it is deemed valid, they will issue a return authorization and refund your purchase cost....

Knock on wood, but I have so far never been left screwed or disappointed.   What I have found is that most sellers want to maintain their good reputation and represent their goods fairly and accurately and stand behind them.   To be honest, I generally find them more honest and fair than most local merchants.

That said, I welcome this article on how to check out a used machine so I can do more than the cursory check that I have been doing once I receive the machine. 

* Mostly I have been buying used WIndows machines because used Macs tend to be very expensive.   Plus, Windows machines like Thinkpads tend to be far more repairable and able to be enhanced than even older Macs.   I paid $225 for the machine I'm using now.   It has an I7 processor and HD dispay with a 1Gb GPU.    I installed an SSD from my old machine (moving the original harddrive over to accept backups from FileHistory) plus another 8Gb memory to make a total 16Gbs.   I have not had to make any repairs to it, but every part down to the mother board can be replaced using nothing more than a screw driver -- and replacement parts are easily available on EBay.  For myself, it is a better machine than any Mac I could buy because of the high quality keyboard, its repairability and automatic backups.  And, with less than $300 into the machine, if I break it, it is not a serious loss.
    edited September 2020 OferMisterKitapplguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 18
    About a week ago I decided to trade my 3 year old iMac in using Apple's online trade-in system. The estimate said it would be worth $720. After I sent it in, they revised the estimate down to $150 because they said there was "screen damage". I can assure you that there was no screen damage when I sent it to them because I used the iMac over 8 hours per day 365 days per year for 3 years. Was it damaged during shipping or was this a scam to make money off me? I lost 80% of its value due to this alleged broken screen. They are offering me to send the Mac back at no cost if I don't accept the $150 offer. Should I take the offer? Considering I lost nearly all the value due to the screen, does that mean the screen is the only component that they are really paying me for? Is the screen worth 80% of the entire computer? I contacted Apple and they said they can't do anything because this is all handled by a subcontractor. OOPS, EDIT: my current iMac is 3 years old, this was my 6 year old iMac, sorry.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 3 of 18
    About a week ago I decided to trade my 3 year old iMac in using Apple's online trade-in system. The estimate said it would be worth $720. After I sent it in, they revised the estimate down to $150 because they said there was "screen damage". I can assure you that there was no screen damage when I sent it to them because I used the iMac over 8 hours per day 365 days per year for 3 years. Was it damaged during shipping or was this a scam to make money off me? I lost 80% of its value due to this alleged broken screen. They are offering me to send the Mac back at no cost if I don't accept the $150 offer. Should I take the offer? Considering I lost nearly all the value due to the screen, does that mean the screen is the only component that they are really paying me for? Is the screen worth 80% of the entire computer? I contacted Apple and they said they can't do anything because this is all handled by a subcontractor.

Yes!   Take it back!
    First, if the machine works well for you then it is worth far more than a mere $150.  (Apple uses a generic algorithm to grade trade-ins and minor problem is treated the same as a major one)
    Second, a 3 year old Mac in decent condition sells for a LOT more than $150  -- probably about 3 or 4 times that!

Apple needs to reopen their stores more fully.   I've been having trouble with my Airpod pros but it takes over a week to get an appointment at my Apple Store.   So, I've been trying to troubleshoot it over the phone with Apple Support so, right now, they are shipping me a new case.   But, having a technician look at it hands on would have been much better for both Apple and myself.   Likewise, your screen problem would likely have been caught immediately at the Apple Store saving everybody a lot of time, effort, grief and money.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 4 of 18
    About a week ago I decided to trade my 3 year old iMac in using Apple's online trade-in system. The estimate said it would be worth $720. After I sent it in, they revised the estimate down to $150 because they said there was "screen damage". I can assure you that there was no screen damage when I sent it to them because I used the iMac over 8 hours per day 365 days per year for 3 years. Was it damaged during shipping or was this a scam to make money off me? I lost 80% of its value due to this alleged broken screen. They are offering me to send the Mac back at no cost if I don't accept the $150 offer. Should I take the offer? Considering I lost nearly all the value due to the screen, does that mean the screen is the only component that they are really paying me for? Is the screen worth 80% of the entire computer? I contacted Apple and they said they can't do anything because this is all handled by a subcontractor. OOPS, EDIT: my current iMac is 3 years old, this was my 6 year old iMac, sorry.

Was there any type of shipping insurance when you sent it to Apple?

Did they send you pictures of the damage?

Was there any way to speak to someone about how they received your iMac who can determine if this screen damage was from shipping, or go into more detail about what they found?
  • Reply 5 of 18

Was there any type of shipping insurance when you sent it to Apple?

Did they send you pictures of the damage?

Was there any way to speak to someone about how they received your iMac who can determine if this screen damage was from shipping, or go into more detail about what they found?
    The packaging that was sent to me to return my iMac came with a sticker that provided free postage. I'm looking at a copy of the sticker and I see no mention of insurance. I guess I should have insured it myself.

They sent me this information on Friday around 4pm and although I replied by email around 4:45 asking them for a picture of the damage I probably have to wait until Tuesday before I can expect a reply. I think this is a holiday weekend.
  • Reply 6 of 18

Yes!   Take it back!
    Second, a 3 year old Mac in decent condition sells for a LOT more than $150 

having a technician look at it hands on would have been much better for both Apple and myself.   Likewise, your screen problem would likely have been caught immediately at the Apple Store saving everybody a lot of time, effort, grief and money.
    I edited my original post to apologize that I had the age of the iMac wrong. It was 6, not 3 years, so sorry, friend. But I'm also tempted to trade in my current 3 year old iMac in order to get the latest 2020 iMac. But now I'm scared if iMacs drop 80% in value during shipping.

If I take it back it might actually have a monitor problem (assuming that the shipping damaged it) then I've lost even the $150. I'm waiting for a description/photo of the damage before I decide what to do. I'm a little worried that this trade in system might be a scam by the contractor Apple is using, but I have no way to prove this and Apple wasn't interested in investigating when I called to chat with them. In the future I may just give my old computers to friends for free as a gift for being a friend.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 7 of 18

Yes!   Take it back!
    Second, a 3 year old Mac in decent condition sells for a LOT more than $150 

having a technician look at it hands on would have been much better for both Apple and myself.   Likewise, your screen problem would likely have been caught immediately at the Apple Store saving everybody a lot of time, effort, grief and money.
    I edited my original post to apologize that I had the age of the iMac wrong. It was 6, not 3 years, so sorry, friend. But I'm also tempted to trade in my current 3 year old iMac in order to get the latest 2020 iMac. But now I'm scared if iMacs drop 80% in value during shipping.

If I take it back it might actually have a monitor problem (assuming that the shipping damaged it) then I've lost even the $150. I'm waiting for a description/photo of the damage before I decide what to do. I'm a little worried that this trade in system might be a scam by the contractor Apple is using, but I have no way to prove this and Apple wasn't interested in investigating when I called to chat with them. In the future I may just give my old computers to friends for free as a gift for being a friend.

That sounds smart!
    But, even a 2014 MacBook is worth a good bit more than $150.   I see 11" 2014 MacBook Airs on EBay starting at $250 and many 13" for upwards of $400.

But, if it does have screen damage that might reduce its price
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I have never bought a new Mac. I have bought 6 used MacBooks over the last 10 years or so. Some from friends, some through Craigslist. I’m not an IT professional but I know just enough to check out the vitals as mentioned in the article. If everything checks out, and the MAC boots without any weird sounds or smells, they tend to last a long time. There is always a risk buying used. The price has to be low enough to take the risk. It is a fine line. I have never been burned and in fact have made some tremendous deals.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    MenuBar Stats is reporting my 2019 MacBook Pro 13" (purchased 1/2020) with 34 cycle count as only having 89% health. I downloaded Coconut Battery to see what it shows, and it's reporting some odd numbers compared to what I'm seeing reported by MenuBar Stats and my Mac's current charge (91%). I'm running the latest Catalina update. What's Apple's policy for battery replacement? I've had a few different MacBooks over the years, and never had batteries degrade this fast. 

edited September 2020
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I recently traded in a 2014 iMac 5K to Apple's mail-in trade-in partner Phobio, and they too claimed screen damage.

The shipping box they sent me did not fit the profile of the iMac, and after trying various orientations settled on putting the iMac into the shipping box in the same orientation as the piece of cardboard with a picture of an iMac on it and forced the box closed.

Phobio claimed the 2014 iMac 4K arrived with screen damage in the lower left corner and reduced my estimated value from $540 to $130.

After some misgivings, I accepted the $130 simply because while I believe the shipping carton caused the damage, I also knew - having replaced an iMac 5K screen damaged in a slow motion accident for $567.05 in 2016 - that if I had them return the unit I'd have to replace the display before I could resell it, and the repair would cost more than the machine was worth.

If you're trading in a machine to Apple do it at a brick and mortar store - do NOT mail it in. If you're in desperate straits mail it in using the original shipping box and foam inserts if the shipping container they sent you doesn't fit properly.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I recently traded in a 2014 iMac 5K to Apple's mail-in trade-in partner Phobio, and they too claimed screen damage.

The shipping box they sent me did not fit the profile of the iMac, and after trying various orientations settled on putting the iMac into the shipping box in the same orientation as the piece of cardboard with a picture of an iMac on it and forced the box closed.

Phobio claimed the 2014 iMac 4K arrived with screen damage in the lower left corner and reduced my estimated value from $540 to $130.

After some misgivings, I accepted the $130 simply because while I believe the shipping carton caused the damage, I also knew - having replaced an iMac 5K screen damaged in a slow motion accident for $567.05 in 2016 - that if I had them return the unit I'd have to replace the display before I could resell it, and the repair would cost more than the machine was worth.

If you're trading in a machine to Apple do it at a brick and mortar store - do NOT mail it in. If you're in desperate straits mail it in using the original shipping box and foam inserts if the shipping container they sent you doesn't fit properly.
    Wow. I think there's a 50% chance we've uncovered a criminal scam here. You suspect the shipping boxes, but I suspect maliciousness. I didn't know Apple allowed trading in old machines at an Apple Store; I thought it had to be done via their online system. Thanks for that tip. I hope many people read this and avoid making the mistakes we made. Indeed I did have the original packing materials but I didn't think they would accept that.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Trade ins and wholesale buyers generally offer about half the used retail value. I would rather turn a friend onto a good deal.
    GeorgeBMacdarkvader
  • Reply 13 of 18

Wow. I think there's a 50% chance we've uncovered a criminal scam here. You suspect the shipping boxes, but I suspect maliciousness. I didn't know Apple allowed trading in old machines at an Apple Store; I thought it had to be done via their online system. Thanks for that tip. I hope many people read this and avoid making the mistakes we made. Indeed I did have the original packing materials but I didn't think they would accept that.
    I agree. I'd wager they have them insured for the amount quoted, then turn in a claim to profit handsomely in the end. If the sender contacts the shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc.) with the tracking number, they should be able to tell you if it was insured. The only way they won't know is if it's insured by a 3rd party. I have a hard time believing they'd still offer $130 on a machine valued at $600 if it's going to cost them over $500 to repair it. They'd have to sell it at a loss, which we know wouldn't happen, unless they're getting some insurance money on top of it. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

NEVER NEVER NEVER trade in your Mac to Apple.

Not only are you likely to run into issues like this, Apple is NOT going to resell your computer.  They're going to shred it.

What you're doing when you trade in ANYTHING to Apple is hurting people who can't afford to buy new, AND you're costing yourself money that you could have gotten selling the computer on the used market.  Apple NEVER pays what the computer is actually worth.

YES, get it back.  Then sell it on ebay, sell it on Craigslist, sell it in a yard sale, sell it on consignment at your local independent repair shop, gift it to a friend, donate it to a charity.  Just don't send it to Apple to be shredded.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    darkvader said:

Not only are you likely to run into issues like this, Apple is NOT going to resell your computer.  They're going to shred it.

What you're doing when you trade in ANYTHING to Apple is hurting people who can't afford to buy new, AND you're costing yourself money that you could have gotten selling the computer on the used market.  Apple NEVER pays what the computer is actually worth.

YES, get it back.  Then sell it on ebay, sell it on Craigslist, sell it in a yard sale, sell it on consignment at your local independent repair shop, gift it to a friend, donate it to a charity.  Just don't send it to Apple to be shredded.
    Please explain why Apple and/or its contractors would devalue something by 80% if they are about to shred it. I just spoke to them on the phone. They said that the reason they dropped the offer from $720 to $150 is because, as they just showed me in a photo they emailed to me, there are about 50 dead pixels on the screen. I have no way to validate that they were showing me my screen; I strongly suspect they were making a bald-faced lie and showing me someone else's screen. I would probably have noticed 50 dead pixels on my own screen. If you are right about shredding, then this might be a major criminal operation going on. I should probably ask for the iMac back and see if they sent me a fraudulent photo when they sent me an image of a screen with 50 dead pixels.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 18
    darkvader said:

Please explain why Apple and/or its contractors would devalue something by 80% if they are about to shred it. I just spoke to them on the phone. They said that the reason they dropped the offer from $720 to $150 is because, as they just showed me in a photo they emailed to me, there are about 50 dead pixels on the screen. I have no way to validate that they were showing me my screen; I strongly suspect they were making a bald-faced lie and showing me someone else's screen. I would probably have noticed 50 dead pixels on my own screen. If you are right about shredding, then this might be a major criminal operation going on. I should probably ask for the iMac back and see if they sent me a fraudulent photo when they sent me an image of a screen with 50 dead pixels.

I have always thought that they passed the products traded in to a refurbisher / reseller.     Thus the trade in price decreases based on age and condition.

I'm thinking that trading it in is mostly just a convenience for most people.
    edited September 2020 redgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 18
    darkvader said:

If that's true, why will they take a 2011 Mac Pro but refuse to take my 2009 Mac Pro? They said my 2009 Mac Pro was "too old." How could any computer be too old for shredding? It's physically identical to a 2011 Mac Pro.
    edited September 2020 GeorgeBMacredgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 18
    MenuBar Stats is reporting my 2019 MacBook Pro 13" (purchased 1/2020) with 34 cycle count as only having 89% health. I downloaded Coconut Battery to see what it shows, and it's reporting some odd numbers compared to what I'm seeing reported by MenuBar Stats and my Mac's current charge (91%). I'm running the latest Catalina update. What's Apple's policy for battery replacement? I've had a few different MacBooks over the years, and never had batteries degrade this fast. 

Apple will consider replacing a battery within AppleCare if it has a decrease in % capacity that's unusual with what they think it should be over time, or if it exhibits other strange behaviors (unexpected shutdown due to battery, for example.) I know, that's clear as mud. Ask them.

I wouldn't be concerned with how the two applications are differing on current charge, I would only really focus on the capacity portion.