Neato's D8, D9, D10 robot vacuums boast laser assistance, Siri Shortcut support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Neato Robotics has launched a trio of new models in its robot vacuum range, with the Neato D10, D9, and D8 premium models offering intensive cleaning and low-light operation.

Neato D10
Neato D10

Like other models from the company, such as the Botvac D7, the three products are smart home vacuum cleaners that are controllable from an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. Using a companion app, users can map their home, set schedules of operation, manually start and stop it from cleaning, see where the robot has cleaned, and even receive a notification about the robot's status.

Since the last generation's release, Neato has expanded its existing support for services including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant into Apple's ecosystem. While not full HomeKit compatibility, the app now works with Siri Shortcuts, allowing users to verbally instruct the robot to perform specific actions.

The group offers edge-to-edge cleaning with the widest brush available in the robot vacuum market. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support is bolstered by a rapid setup process, which is claimed to take just six steps to go through between opening the box and the first clean.

The Neato D8 includes the company's LaserSmart technology to improve its effectiveness in low-light situations, such as working with the room lights off or under furniture. Offering a 90-minute runtime, it also includes an extra-wide brush and a large dirt bin, to minimize the number of times it needs to be emptied.

The D9 improves on the D8 by being able to pick up more dirt over a longer period of time. Using an ultra-performance HEPA-style filter, it can capture 99.5% of dust and allergens, while its runtime of up to 120 minutes allows it to handle larger workspaces.

The top-of-the-range Neato D10 extends the runtime to 150 minutes, as well as performing an even deeper clean. An included True HEPA filter captures up to 99.7% of allergens as small as 0.3 microns.

Neato will be shipping the D10, D9, and D8 this fall in North America, Europe, and Japan. Pricing has yet to be announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Low light operation? Why would it care how light it is in the room? Our Roomba doesn't.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    I love my BotVac but I may get a Roomba next since they have the dirt repository and now offer them with a D-shape design.

DAalseth said:
    Low light operation? Why would it care how light it is in the room? Our Roomba doesn't.
    As the article states, it increases effectiveness in low-light, not that it stops working.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I still have a 5-10 year old Neato that ran out of charge capacity after one year and I can't find anyone who sells a replacement in my city. If I should ever buy another robot vacuum cleaner my main questions will be "what kind of replacement battery does it require, how much does it cost, do you sell those replacements here or exactly where can I buy them?" If the salesperson can't answer these questions within 10 seconds, I will walk away. Generally speaking you can't buy replacement batteries in the same stores you buy the devices. If toys say "batteries not included" then all vacuum cleaners should say "replacement batteries can be obtained only by mail order."

Whether a vacuum cleaner can operate in low light should be irrelevant now because they should be able to ask your HomeKit controller to turn on all the lights while it is operating. Don't they all have wireless features? A few lines of software can resolve this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I still have a 5-10 year old Neato that ran out of charge capacity after one year and I can't find anyone who sells a replacement in my city. If I should ever buy another robot vacuum cleaner my main questions will be "what kind of replacement battery does it require, how much does it cost, do you sell those replacements here or exactly where can I buy them?" If the salesperson can't answer these questions within 10 seconds, I will walk away. Generally speaking you can't buy replacement batteries in the same stores you buy the devices. If toys say "batteries not included" then all vacuum cleaners should say "replacement batteries can be obtained only by mail order."

Whether a vacuum cleaner can operate in low light should be irrelevant now because they should be able to ask your HomeKit controller to turn on all the lights while it is operating. Don't they all have wireless features? A few lines of software can resolve this.
    Which one do you have? The battery I had lasted years but I found an inexpensive battery on Amazon when I was ready to replace it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Xed said:
    I love my BotVac but I may get a Roomba next since they have the dirt repository and now offer them with a D-shape design.

DAalseth said:
    As the article states, it increases effectiveness in low-light, not that it stops working.
    But why? The Roomba we have has no eyes, it follows a pattern. Does the Neato literally look for dirt?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I look forward to a future when Apple will eventually be developing advanced A.I. controlled robotic systems for home use.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    DAalseth said:
    Some brands of robots use various navigation technologies.  For example, the Roomba 980 uses a passive camera to navigate around a room to see things. It doesn't need bright lighting but some light in order to navigate properly.

Some low end robots that just bounce around and have no mapping capabilities don't need any light to operate because it doesn't matter.

I have a Roborock S6 that uses LiDAR. It uses laser light technology to determine distance to objects in its path. It can navigate a dark room with no lights. Better than a camera but it can be fooled sometimes by mirror surfaces or dark walls. It doesn't see thin silver legs on furniture very well either. I love the way is slows down before it reaches an object or a wall so it doesn't bang against it.

I'm not an expert on the technologies but have had several robot vacuums in the past 10 years. Having two dogs and being a clean house freak, I can't live without one. Keeps the house clean during the week so I don't have to pull out the Miele canister vacuum. The Roborock S6 has been the best I've had so far. I've been reading articles lately about vacuums using AI and lasers so there are more advancements to come.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    DAalseth said:
    Xed said:

DAalseth said:
    But why? The Roomba we have has no eyes, it follows a pattern. Does the Neato literally look for dirt?
    I value your opinions whenever I read them. 

However, all Neato's have worked with lasers from the very beginning and they always work in perfect darkness. In fact they should work better in perfect darkness than in light. Their website currently says Neato's work "even in the dark". Roomba's in the early days worked exclusively with random motion, which by definition contains no "pattern." All Roomba's for sale on their website today come with "optical vision." You said your Roomba has no eyes, but works on a pattern. I don't see how that's possible since the visionless Roomba's had to work randomly while the optical Roomba does work with a pattern. So which is it? Is your Roomba blind or not? If it's blind then by necessity it must work randomly with no patterns. However some models like the 980 had dirt sensors that allowed them to detect the sound of dirt and they did repeat over dirty areas using that information. Please free me of my confusion.

I think the article wasn't trying to say low light was a new Neato feature, but that it's a current and continuing feature. Something seems to have been worded poorly. All current models of Roomba use optical cameras and probably should be asking HomeKit to turn on all the lights while it does its cleaning. Neato's don't need any light.

My model is XV-21. Nothing I write here is as certain as General Relativity because I'm just an average consumer, not an expert.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    DAalseth said:
    Xed said:

DAalseth said:
    As others have stated, it's not about looking for dirt, but looking for obstacles. In a perfect situation no object will move while vacuuming, but in reality people and pets are often present. I'd prefer my robot vacuum not bump into everything to find its way around a room.

In the future, I'd love for the device to be able to sense clothing on the ground, pet toys, and other thin-ish items that may get sucked up and clogged in the vacuum. It's not a big deal to pick up before the vacuum starts, but sometimes I miss something, so I wish it was smarter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Biggest question I have, do these things work? As a pet owner I’d love to have one but can’t help but think what would happen if it were to run in to an unnoticed pile of cat or dog throw up.   :s
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    razorpit said:
    Biggest question I have, do these things work? As a pet owner I’d love to have one but can’t help but think what would happen if it were to run in to an unnoticed pile of cat or dog throw up.   :s
    As an owner of two dogs, the answer is yes. These robot vacuums work. Funny you should mention pet vomit (and other messes). My Roborock S6 wouldn't be able to distinguish messes like these but that is why we kept the dogs in a separate  area of the house during the day while the robot cleans.  Of course, that's not a problem these days since we are stuck working from home.

I read an article recently where newer technology using AI, cameras, and lasers would allow a robot vacuum to recognize dog feces and other messes to avoid. It also mentioned privacy concerns due to user data being stored somewhere off premises instead of onboard the robot.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    razorpit said:
    ABSOLUTLY! I had spent my whole life vacuuming once and thinking the carpet was clean simply because it looked clean. Once I was gifted a Neato Botvac—which was something I wouldn't have bought for myself since I assumed it wasn't going to work as well as me vacuuming every week or two—I found out how wrong I was about so many things.

After the first vacuuming with my BotVac I noticed that the carpet looked clean (just as it always did after I vacuumed), but the bin was full, so I cleaned it out and ran it again. Again, it was full, so I cleaned it out and ran it again. It wasn't until the 3rd pass that it wasn't filling up the bin. I now vacuum every day.

I have pets and a much cleaner home than I did before.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    DAalseth said:
    Xed said:

DAalseth said:
    I value your opinions whenever I read them. 

However, all Neato's have worked with lasers from the very beginning and they always work in perfect darkness. In fact they should work better in perfect darkness than in light. Their website currently says Neato's work "even in the dark". Roomba's in the early days worked exclusively with random motion, which by definition contains no "pattern." All Roomba's for sale on their website today come with "optical vision." You said your Roomba has no eyes, but works on a pattern. I don't see how that's possible since the visionless Roomba's had to work randomly while the optical Roomba does work with a pattern. So which is it? Is your Roomba blind or not? If it's blind then by necessity it must work randomly with no patterns. However some models like the 980 had dirt sensors that allowed them to detect the sound of dirt and they did repeat over dirty areas using that information. Please free me of my confusion.

I think the article wasn't trying to say low light was a new Neato feature, but that it's a current and continuing feature. Something seems to have been worded poorly. All current models of Roomba use optical cameras and probably should be asking HomeKit to turn on all the lights while it does its cleaning. Neato's don't need any light.

My model is XV-21. Nothing I write here is as certain as General Relativity because I'm just an average consumer, not an expert.
    The Roomba 980 uses a camera for visual mapping; that's why it needs some lighting. They call it VSLAM on their product line.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/home-robots/irobot-brings-visual-mapping-and-navigation-to-the-roomba-980
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mistergsf said:
    DAalseth said:
    Some brands of robots use various navigation technologies.  For example, the Roomba 980 uses a passive camera to navigate around a room to see things. It doesn't need bright lighting but some light in order to navigate properly.

Some low end robots that just bounce around and have no mapping capabilities don't need any light to operate because it doesn't matter.

I have a Roborock S6 that uses LiDAR. It uses laser light technology to determine distance to objects in its path. It can navigate a dark room with no lights. Better than a camera but it can be fooled sometimes by mirror surfaces or dark walls. It doesn't see thin silver legs on furniture very well either. I love the way is slows down before it reaches an object or a wall so it doesn't bang against it.

I'm not an expert on the technologies but have had several robot vacuums in the past 10 years. Having two dogs and being a clean house freak, I can't live without one. Keeps the house clean during the week so I don't have to pull out the Miele canister vacuum. The Roborock S6 has been the best I've had so far. I've been reading articles lately about vacuums using AI and lasers so there are more advancements to come.

Xed said:
    DAalseth said:
    Xed said:

DAalseth said:
    As others have stated, it's not about looking for dirt, but looking for obstacles. In a perfect situation no object will move while vacuuming, but in reality people and pets are often present. I'd prefer my robot vacuum not bump into everything to find its way around a room.

In the future, I'd love for the device to be able to sense clothing on the ground, pet toys, and other thin-ish items that may get sucked up and clogged in the vacuum. It's not a big deal to pick up before the vacuum starts, but sometimes I miss something, so I wish it was smarter.
    Thank you. That's interesting. I only knew the ones that used wheel encoders to build up a map by bumping into things. Out Roomba is like that. I didn't know they had gotten so advanced they used cameras and AI to map the room visually.

Very cool. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Do these cleaners have no problem in wet areas? Stuff like the Dyson cleaners should not be used in wet areas, which is a pain.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    I have an older ‘dumb’ Roomba and while I appreciate how it can handle the chore of vacuuming I often wonder if they intentionally have the dirt/hair spun like cotton candy to give the illusion/satisfaction that it’s picking up more than it actually does.

My Dyson is amazing, truly doesn’t lose suction and when I empty it the dirt feels heavy, not like whipped up cotton candy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

How does someone being able to answer those questions (or the store selling the batteries) at the time of sale guarantee battery availability years later?  
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

DAalseth said:
    Xed said:

DAalseth said:
    Wrong.  All modern Roombas create a visual map using infrared sensors. Infrared sensors are less effective on dark and non-reflective surfaces, and do benefit from increased lighting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    LOL. Why on earth would you not just do a simple internet search, which would show batteries available direct from Neato, or Best Buy, or Walmart, or Amazon, or Ebay, etc? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    This article is misleading to say the least. It used to, but on the contrary there is no more Siri Shortcuts in the MyNeato app for D8, D9 and D10 Botvacs! 

There was an older iOS app called "Neato Robotics" that is only compatible with models from D3 to D7 (and the Neato Botvac Connected) and is now deprecated and never updated again for years (nice for customers who purchased these robots…). This "old" EOL app eventually got Siri Shortcuts indeed.

But current line of products, i.e. D8, D9 and D10 are only compatible with the newer app MyNeato, which is… not compatible with Siri Shortcuts! And this nonsense has been going on for two years now!

Because all of you online tech journalistes published early September 2020 that same advertorial (to within two or three commas) which you tried to disguise as an informative press article, claiming the new range D8, D9 and D10 came with Siri Shortcuts. Due to this false information, I bought a D9 believing it was compatible with Siri Shortcuts, whereas it is not. BECAUSE OF YOU!

Truth is: this was a blatant lie from Neato. And NOBODY noticed (starting with you journalists in the first place) this ugly fact, which allowed Neato to commit more sales. This is dishonest and shocking. And despite the customers' discontent (have a look at the app notation on the App Store), nothing has changed in almost two years. Neato is clearly screwing with us!
    edited May 2022