LG renews promise to support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on selected 2018 TVs

Posted:
in General Discussion
Despite recently claiming there were no longer any plans to support Apple's AirPlay 2 or HomeKit on 2018 TVs, LG has now announced that it is keeping to its previous promise.

Credit: LG
Credit: LG

LG has continued its rollout of the Apple TV app to selected 2018 model television sets, and at the same time stated that it will be bringing AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support "later this year." This follows a report last week that the company had cancelled plans to support these technologies despite a previous pledge.

Customers worldwide can now enjoy the Apple TV app on LG 2018 OLED and Super UHD TVs, with UHD TV models to follow. LG's 2018 TVs will add support for Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit later this year, and more details will be shared when these features become available

— LG UK (@LGUK)

The prior report of there no longer being any plans to support these technologies also came from a tweet by the same official LG Twitter account. It stated that "LG has no plans to update its pre-2019 TVs with AirPlay 2or Homekit unfortunately."

LG had previously committed to adding this support to various 2018 smart TV models and to do so by October 2020. The models included its "SK" and "UK" LED sets, plus the "B8" through "Z8" OLED ones.

The "no plans" tweet did cause a series of complaints from users over the next few days. It's more likely, however, that it was a mistake, although users spotted that previous references to the forthcoming support had also been removed from the LG website.

The new announcement was intended to promote how LG 2018 OLED and Super UHD TVs now have the Apple TV, and also how UHD TV models will shortly. This continues the recent rollout of the Apple TV app to models in the range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Make up your mind, will ya? People might start to think you’re indecisive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I don’t trust any of TV makers To keep my info private.  Even if it had it, I wouldn’t use it.  I just use an Apple TV and be done with it.
    Beatspscooter63chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    sflocal said:
    I don’t trust any of TV makers To keep my info private.  Even if it had it, I wouldn’t use it.  I just use an Apple TV and be done with it.
    What does that have to do with the topic of the article?  How is using an Apple TV any different than streaming to the TV using AirPlay?  
    caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Utter silence for a week, then a press release reversing the UK service rep they threw under the bus.

Clearly, they were floating a trial balloon that got shot down. I would wager they did not figure on the possibility of a class-action lawsuit Into their plans to renege on their promise.

in the end the buyers win and the lawyers are denied a fat paycheque, so I call that a win, but LG really shot an Apple-sized hole in their brand trust there, very needlessly,
    caladanianwatto_cobra