Apple TV app is now available on Vizio smart TVs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV app is now supported by Vizio televisions with users of its SmartCast TVs in the United States and Canada now able to watch Apple TV shows without needing a separate streaming box.

Previously announced in June, the update to the SmartCast software on Vizio's smart TVs is starting to roll out to users. The update specifically brings support for the Apple TV app, which other smart TV producers have already integrated into their software.

As part of the rollout, Vizio SmartCast users in the United States can sign up for Apple TV+ through the televisions, and receive three months of service for free. The offer is limited to Vizio customers with a 2016 or later SmartCast TV enabled with SmartCast Home, and runs until October 16.

As well as being able to watch Apple TV+ shows, the Apple TV app also includes all of the other usual functionality, including the ability to subscribe to Apple TV channels including Showtime, CBS All Access, and Starz. Subscriptions can be shared with other users via Family Sharing if it is enabled.

Access to the Apple catalog of movies and TV shows is also offered, both for purchases and for rental, along with a user's existing library of content. This also includes 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos content, which can be watched natively on supported televisions.

The app also brings in support for Apple's AirPlay 2 and HomeKit, making it controllable both by Apple's smart home platform and by other AirPlay 2 devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I’m curious as to whether it has the same sort of “hub” function it has in tvOS. The only app that doesn’t play nice with it is Netflix. If I start watching anything in any of the other streaming apps, like Disney+ and HBO Max, it appears in Up Next in the tv app. Does that also happen on a television?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Vizio rocks!  Love their long support of their OS/firmware.   My M80-D3 says thanks for the updates! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’m curious as to whether it has the same sort of “hub” function it has in tvOS. The only app that doesn’t play nice with it is Netflix. If I start watching anything in any of the other streaming apps, like Disney+ and HBO Max, it appears in Up Next in the tv app. Does that also happen on a television?

It does on my Roku "Smart" TV.

Netflix is just trying to be Spotify. They have no reason to not support this.
    libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Hopefully better than it does on tvOS, great idea but terribly implemented.
    Channels is the trick to Apple TV+ adoption and they should look at providing an integrated ATV HW+tvOS stick to TV manufacturers, especially those who can’t invest in their own software.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Weird. Mine is a recent model and up to date on the software, but no option to add Apple TV app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Weird. Mine is a recent model and up to date on the software, but no option to add Apple TV app.
    It is added automatically, what year, model display and which firmware version do you have?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Select Home and scroll down to Apps and see if it isn't already there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mcdave said:
    Hopefully better than it does on tvOS, great idea but terribly implemented.
    Channels is the trick to Apple TV+ adoption and they should look at providing an integrated ATV HW+tvOS stick to TV manufacturers, especially those who can’t invest in their own software.
    Yes, the app is still more or less v1.0 software, and obviously it can improve. But no, once you figure out that you need to maintain Up Next effectively, it’s a pretty useful hub of content from various sources. Channels is great (also v1.0) but only Viacom is on board — the other heavyweights have opted out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Curious about whether it supports the Spectrum app, which pretty much obviates the need for Spectrum's set top box rental payment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10

If you mean a HomeKit type hub to remotely control IoT devices, I would question its security.   One of my rules is to never bring in a non-Apple hub into my home.  If an IoT device cannot connect directly to HomeKit it doesn't enter my home.

So, how secure would an Apple HomeKit Hub be running on a Vizio TV?   I would think about as secure as an unlocked screen door.