Mark Zuckerberg says Apple's App Store 'deserves scrutiny'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    There goes Zuck with Freudian projection and transference. What if we turned the lens back on Facebook and sId they should allow third party ad networks and payment processing on Facebook which cuts into revenue. Bet then he’d say oh it’s different. We built our platform and maintain it. It’s an ecosystem. What a sniveling twit lol. 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    How can it be monopoly pricing if the percentage of the fee has never changed from day 1?
    dysamoriaBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    Of course everyone will say I'm being paranoid, however, and yes, I know companies have come at apple before, but has no one noticed that since apple announced their own chips, EVERYONE HAS BEEN GANGING UP ON APPLE THESE LAST FEW WEEKS?!?!?!?!?!?
    DAalsethMisterKitBeatsDogpersonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 46
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Sure. Anything a two trillion dollar company does should be scrutinized. With that much valuation comes a lot of power, and power needs oversight. We really need a different word for what Apple is doing, though. They patently do not have monopoly power over any market, unless you consider their own customers the entirety of a market (in which case, every company has a monopoly, and the term becomes useless).

Apple definitely does unethical things. A lot of these things relate to the App Store practices. Their practices are closer to those of "company towns", which largely are not considered to be violating any laws. Such towns mostly died out on their own with the rise of the automobile which coincided with rising workers' rights movements, so the towns' legal limits haven't ever really been tested in most places.

Kuyangkoh said:
    Have to wonder why the most disrespected CEO in tech is railing once again against Apple. Is it a trump-like thing of diverting attention away from themselves and all the concerns about their ethics? 
    Lets discuss tech here and no politics....
    Tech is inherently political. Thinking the tech can remain divorced from what people use it to do is why we have companies like Facebook and Google spreading delusional conspiracy nonsense.

This lack of understanding is also why software developers do not merit the title "engineer".
    dysamoriawatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jimh2 said:
    How can it be monopoly pricing if the percentage of the fee has never changed from day 1?
    Actually, it got cheaper. They dropped the cut of subscription after the first year. 
    BeatsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

civa said:
    Of course everyone will say I'm being paranoid, however, and yes, I know companies have come at apple before, but has no one noticed that since apple announced their own chips, EVERYONE HAS BEEN GANGING UP ON APPLE THESE LAST FEW WEEKS?!?!?!?!?!?
    Mmmm … 🤔
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 27 of 46
    What a hypocrite! He wouldn’t be where he is today if he didn’t steal FaceBook away from it’s original creators. 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, Apple should be scrutinized... but Mark Zuckerberg has no right to talk. He and his company have been literally harming society. Facebook uses the letter of the law to get around the spirit of the law. If any company desperately needs scrutiny and regulation right now, it’s Facebook. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    It is Zuck that needs to co on trial for crimes against Humanity. But he won't as the USA isn't a signatory to the International Court of Justice.
    stourqueDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    baederboy said:
    Facebook will probably get replaced by something else in not that long anyway. Any one (most) of college age or younger no longer uses Facebook and even those in their late 20's rarely use it anymore. At least in my experience as a Professor and father of teenagers and twenty-somethings.
    I so hope so. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    baederboy said:
    Facebook will probably get replaced by something else in not that long anyway. Any one (most) of college age or younger no longer uses Facebook and even those in their late 20's rarely use it anymore. At least in my experience as a Professor and father of teenagers and twenty-somethings.

No, lots of young people still use Facebook. Like 95% of them. When I meet girls they always say "what's your Facebook".....Not "number" or "email" etc.
    qwerty52pscooter63watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Mark, you all will get the much needed scrutiny early next year in about 4 months as dems take over the White House 
    ronnDogperson
  • Reply 33 of 46
    tundraboy said:
    Mark Zuckerberg is the second worst American alive.
    I've spent several minutes laughing at your comment. Because you are making us guess who the worst American alive is. I suppose I can guess the most likely intent of your insinuation, but there are options here.

I'm wondering what other "second worst/best" jokes can make you think about a specific person without saying his name. Maybe, "Stalin is the second worst dictator of all time." Or, "Rick Astley is the second most despised pop singer." Perhaps, "Dwayne Johnson is the second most famous muscled actor." Or, "Isaac Newton is the second most famous physicist." Maybe "Miss Piggy is the second most famous muppet." (Hiii-yah!) Or, "Spiderman is the second coolest superhero." These take work to come up with.
    Beatspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    I wonder if Apple gave us a choice to remain in the garden or to go out into the wild territory, how it would play out with the customer base.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    I think companies like Facebook and Google should be mandated to give us a small percentage of their profits since they use our information to make them billions. 
    BeatsDogpersondysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    baederboy said:
    You're conflating Facebook the company with Facebook the brand. People usually talk about -- and MZ represents -- the company, which is the brands Facebook + Instagram + WhatsApp + other stuff. IG and WA are huge among the highly-coveted 15-25 age group. 
    edited September 2020 ronndysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    civa said:

It just means something huge is coming. May be the sum of all things that will be announced this year.

I'm hoping:
    Apple Silicon Macs to replace Windows spyware
    HomePod Mini to replace Amazon spyware
    Apple TV to replace Roku adware
    iPads to kill the last remaining knockoff spyware
    Apple Watch SE to kill off the cheap spyware bracelets
    ronnDogpersonMisterKitwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Pot—>Kettle.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure how Apple can be antitrust. Okay, they built their own ecosystem and walled garden, but no one is forced to buy Apple products or services by market limitations or by fiat. There's plenty of non-Apple stuff out there. If you buy into the ecosystem, then you live in that ecosystem. If Apple opened themselves up, then they (and every Apple user) would be vulnerable to outside forces and interference.
    Now, Facebook is vulnerable to antitrust claims, because they're really the only game in town when it comes to social media platforms, especially now that they own Instagram and WhatsApp. Even more so because they control the narrative with regard to how social media works. They built the algorithm that controls how we get our information and how we interact with each other. And they use all of our interactions to mine data about us.
    Perhaps Apple could develop a way to allow people to install iOS apps from outside of the App Store, but then that leaves those users vulnerable to the whims of those developers. And to open up their system like that degrades their brand identity.
    watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 39 of 46
    I think he’s got enough downed trees in his own backyard, before he has an opinion on anybody else’s backyard.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 40 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Have to wonder why the most disrespected CEO in tech is railing once again against Apple. Is it a trump-like thing of diverting attention away from themselves and all the concerns about their ethics? 
    Lets discuss tech here and no politics....

Good luck with that ... politics always seems to seep their way into most discussions here anymore. I am with you 100% the constant political talk is exhausting. B)