England and Wales launching COVID-19 app using Apple/Google system

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
After failing to produce its own system, the UK government has announced that it it will release a new coronavirus exposure notification app on September 24.

England and Wales finally launch their COVID-19 app using Apple/Google technology
England and Wales finally launch their COVID-19 app using Apple/Google technology

Following Scotland's launch of a COVID-19 exposure notification app this week, and Northern Ireland's in July, the rest of the UK is now to get its own system from Thursday, September 24.

"We need to use every tool at our disposal to control the spread of the virus including cutting-edge technology," health secretary Matt Hancock said to the BBC. "The launch of the app later this month across England and Wales is a defining moment and will aid our ability to contain the virus at a critical time."

The decision to produce a joint England and Wales version was described as "the most practical option" by the Welsh Health and Social Services Minister Vaughan Gething.

"It makes sense to use the same app, working in exactly the same way, regardless of which country you're in," said Gething, "[and this reflects the] movement across our shared border."

Apple and Google recently announced a further development of their joint technology, the addition of Exposure Notifications Express to iPhones and Android. US states including Colorado have opted for this system instead of launching an entire app.

The UK originally rejected Apple and Google's system and instead planned an alternative that would see users' data being held on the government's servers. That decision raised privacy concerns and the use of outsourcing company Serco to deliver it.

Serco has a mixed record on public works and in May also leaked the personal email addresses of around 300 contact tracers working on the Government's COVID-19 project. It did then produce an app but a trial run on the UK's Isle of Wight showed that it was particularly ineffective.

Responding to criticisms, the UK government at one point claimed it was negotiating with Apple to allow it access to iOS. Apple reported that it had not been approached at all.

In June, the government cancelled its own app after reportedly spending 12m ($15.6m) on it, and announced it was moving to Apple and Google's system instead. At the same time, however, it also downplayed the usefulness of any app and suggested that one was the "icing on the cake" of testing.

"If we can get it to work it'll be a fine thing," said UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, "but there isn't one anywhere in the world so far." He said this in June when France, Germany, Australia, Singapore and Latvia had already launched and Germany had made its source code freely available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    In case anyone wonders who is Matt Hancock, he’s widely believed to be the most incompetent minister in government, and he’s up against some pretty stiff competition. 

If he has anything to do with this app then it will fail and it will fail hard. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    'and he’s up against some pretty stiff competition. '

ROFL
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    This photo from when he failed to become PM is all you need to know about Matt Hancock
    aderutterRayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The UK has been shown to be an ineffectual joke, as usual with government funded IT.
    Any half decent media agency could have delivered this app in the summer for a cost less than 1% of the alleged £12m
    I myself have delivered systems far more complex with a small team in less than 3 months.
    I really wish Apple and Google had just built apps that worked globally one for each platform but I guess legalities prevented that.
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Yes, I did mean to click 'informative'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Rayz2016 said:
    In case anyone wonders who is Matt Hancock, he’s widely believed to be the most incompetent minister in government, and he’s up against some pretty stiff competition. 

I believe it falls under Dido Harding’s (of TalkTalk data breach fame) track and trace department. Another example of this government rewarding failure.

(For the record, I think I agree with you about Matt Hancock – but only because Suella Braverman isn’t technically a minister and Chris Grayling failed to win a vote rigged in his favour.)
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xbit said:
    Rayz2016 said:

I believe it falls under Dido Harding’s (of TalkTalk data breach fame) track and trace department. Another example of this government rewarding failure.

(For the record, I think I agree with you about Matt Hancock – but only because Suella Braverman isn’t technically a minister and Chris Grayling failed to win a vote rigged in his favour.)
    No, you’re right. I forgot about Failing Grayling. 

And let’s not forget Priti Patel, who can’t help smirking while reporters ask about the government’s appalling record on everything. 

JWSCwatto_cobra