'iPhone 12' enters mass production, reportedly no 120Hz ProMotion Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    TruJskr said:
    One thing the very few people like to mention is the mass amount of phones that Apple will sell out of the gate. The reason most Samsung, LG, Motorola phones tend to get features a head of the iPhone is the fact they don’t sell a quarter the amount of phones that Apple will in Qtr 4. When you sell millions of anything, you need that many in individual parts. This is not an easy task and why they tend to be last with features when other companies beat them to market. 

Ha what? You realize Samsung sells more phones than apple right?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    aairricc said:
    TruJskr said:
    One thing the very few people like to mention is the mass amount of phones that Apple will sell out of the gate. The reason most Samsung, LG, Motorola phones tend to get features a head of the iPhone is the fact they don’t sell a quarter the amount of phones that Apple will in Qtr 4. When you sell millions of anything, you need that many in individual parts. This is not an easy task and why they tend to be last with features when other companies beat them to market. 

Lol that is not true. You just signed up and post this one just to say that Samsung sells phones than Apple? Samsung won’t announce how much they “sold”. They only tell how much they “shipped” that include their customers and retails. Stop sign up and troll this forum! 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Having seen some other phones with a 120hz screen, I'm at a loss why this is an important feature. It's great on the iPad, but on a small screen I don't see the appeal.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    M68000 said:
    Do a lot of people see much difference with the 120 refresh rate?  Spec wise is one thing but real world is where it matters.  Any news or rumors about microLED?
    While it's nice, like 5G, there's always that certain group of people that complain that suddenly it's necessary for them.  Like 5G.  It won't be mainstream for years at the speeds they market, yet all the commercials say otherwise, and people now say their next phone "must" be 5G compliant.

120hz displays are nice, but overrated for today's phone tech.  That some phones have it is irrelevant considering the balance between that and battery life.  I choose battery life.

If Apple included 120Hz in the iPhone12 before it was truly ironed-out, I will bet money the first thing these people will demand is Apple's head on a platter.

So best to ignore these people.

You make it sound like 120Hz displays are some sort of brand new, 1st gen technology that needs to be "ironed-out".  High refresh rate displays are very commonplace.  Dell has an Alienware gaming laptop with a 300Hz display that looks spectacular!  Just got my wife a Samsung S20 5G with 120Hz display and battery life is great!  Samsung seems to have "ironed-out" whatever issues you're talking about.

How many phones with 120Hz displays have you used to have an opinion that they're overrated?

See the article below for technical details on variable refresh rate technology. As ITGUYINSD says, it's not new but always evolving.

• Reply 25 of 28
    120 Hz is still very niche this year, so I can't imagine the average person caring, it is annoying though since they brought it to the iPad Pro 3 years ago and leave the Pro model iPhones not actually more professional at all. The major concerns that come up though is what exactly are they planning for the Pro model iPhones, because the "it will be super fast 5G when it is rolled out in three or so years depending on where you're at" doesn't matter much. Lidar, a slightly better screen(assuming the base 12 actually has OLED as rumored, longer battery life, extra camera) are all limited to niche uses as well beyond the battery life one, but I guess that is the problem with the current 11 vs 11 pro.
    Japhey
  • Reply 26 of 28
    aairricc said:
    TruJskr said:

Lol that is not true. You just signed up and post this one just to say that Samsung sells phones than Apple? Samsung won’t announce how much they “sold”. They only tell how much they “shipped” that include their customers and retails. Stop sign up and troll this forum! 

So just because I'm new, I can't call people out for false information?
    2020 Q2 Market Share: Samsung 20%, Apple 14%
    2020 Q2 Shipments: Samsung 52 mil, Apple 37 mil

There are definitely reasons why Apple doesn't push some innovations live as fast as Samsung does, but them "having to make more phones" is definitely not one of them
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Looking for a reason to upgrade my X, I am an average person and do care about 120hz, deal breaker for me. If it’s not included I will probably skip another year. 
    aairricc
  • Reply 28 of 28
    aairricc said:
    aairricc said:
    TruJskr said:

So just because I'm new, I can't call people out for false information?
    2020 Q2 Market Share: Samsung 20%, Apple 14%
    2020 Q2 Shipments: Samsung 52 mil, Apple 37 mil

There are definitely reasons why Apple doesn't push some innovations live as fast as Samsung does, but them "having to make more phones" is definitely not one of them

I don't think you are getting the logic behind the statement "Apple have to make more phones" when people mention it in this forum. You are saying that - Samsung had 20% market share (52 million) in Q2-2020. But how much % of them had 120 Hz display? About 5%? Max 10%? That works out to just 5 million phones.

When Apple includes a new feature in the entire lineup of new smartphones, they have to include it in 60% to 70% of their phones sold. That works out to at least 20 million phones even considering the lower number. If Apple decides to include the new feature only in their Pro lineup of phones, even that would be at least double of what Samsung needs. Therein lies the challenge for Apple.

Having said all of that, Tim Cook is considered to be a master of supply chain management precisely because of this - Being able to navigate the complexities of supply chain with multiple vendors for same components wherever possible AND at a scale that Apple needs. If Apple is unable to source enough 120Hz OLED display panels for at least iPhone pro lineup for this year, then it does look bad on his abilities.