Honda makes CarPlay a standard feature of the 2021 Passport SUV

Posted:
in General Discussion
Honda has added support for Apple CarPlay to its 2021 range of Passport SUVs, with most models featuring a new Display Audio system that uses Apple's smartphone-car connectivity platform.

CarPlay in the Honda 2021 Passport infotainment system.
CarPlay in the Honda 2021 Passport infotainment system.

The Honda 2021 Passport has started to ship to dealerships in the United States, prompting the car manufacturer to alert potential buyers to one of its infotainment updates at the same time as its price list and models. The latest version of the SUV will include a new Display Audio system as standard on every second-tier or higher model in the range, which includes support for both CarPlay and Android Auto.

Though CarPlay is a standard feature, not all connectivity elements will be offered across the range. Wireless smartphone charging is available, but only on models with Elite trim.

2021 Honda Passport
2021 Honda Passport

The Honda 2021 Passport range with Carplay includes the:
  • Passport EX-L (2WD)
  • Passport EX-L (AWD)
  • Passport Touring (2WD)
  • Passport Touring (AWD)
  • Passport Elite (AWD)
The PassPort Sport in 2ED and AWD variants do not have CarPlay integrations built in to their base configurations. All models include a 280-horsepower V6 engine and a nine-speed automatic transmission, among other features.

The range starts from $32,590 for the Sport, while the EX-L starts at $36,610, Touring at $39,480, and Elite starts from $43,980.

Honda has previously included CarPlay support to its vehicles, including its luxury Insight model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I own a Honda, I think it's two years old, but their CarPlay system rarely works with the cable that comes with my iPhone. Honda tells me I need to get a better cable. I asked Honda if I could buy a cable from them (so I could be sure it would work) but they wouldn't sell me one. They said it was my responsibility to find a cable that worked. I never did bother to get a cable that worked, so I just drive it without CarPlay now. Sad. I would insist on wireless CarPlay from Honda in the future.
    edited September 2020 caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 12
    This story and just the mentioning of “brand x model y year z are now supporting CP” are just exemplary
  • Reply 3 of 12
    RYC2000RYC2000 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I own a Honda, I think it's two years old, but their CarPlay system rarely works with the cable that comes with my iPhone. Honda tells me I need to get a better cable. I asked Honda if I could buy a cable from them (so I could be sure it would work) but they wouldn't sell me one. They said it was my responsibility to find a cable that worked. I never did bother to get a cable that worked, so I just drive it without CarPlay now. Sad. I would insist on wireless CarPlay from Honda in the future.
    I use the cable that Apple supplies and works on my CRV. Originally, I tried using an Anker cable but noticed it did not work as well. You might want to complain or file a warranty claim to see if they would replace your unit.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    RYC2000RYC2000 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I notice the system is very sensitive. I can only turn the electronics on without starting the car and listen to something on my phone. If I were to start the car immediately after, the unit would loose connection to my phone. I have to disconnect and reconnect to get CarPlay back.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No wonder Steve Jobs wanted to make Apple Car without all these connectivity and other issues. At this point every new car must come out with wireless Carplay support that should work out of the box. It is pathetic that people complain their wired carplay or android auto don't work seamlessly, all the time.
    May be car manufacturers should hire more electronics and computer engineers to make it right.
    kiehtancaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    RYC2000 said:
    I use the cable that Apple supplies and works on my CRV. Originally, I tried using an Anker cable but noticed it did not work as well. You might want to complain or file a warranty claim to see if they would replace your unit.
    As my post indicates, I did complain to my Honda dealership. I didn't want to take in any further than that: forms and lawyers and whatnot. It's tempting just to avoid Honda next time around. But if someone ever builds a car with a complete Apple interface overhaul, I'd probably buy one, even the first year it's out. I'm surprised Apple hasn't agreed to take my money yet. I'd like to be able to say to my car, "Hey Apple, what is my tire pressure like?" or "Hey Apple, what's my fuel consumption been each day this week?" or "Hey Apple, roll down my back windows 50%."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    The Passport has offered Apple CarPlay support since the 2019 model year - it's not new for 2021.

Also, the general quality of this article is terrible - AI should be embarrassed. 

"PassPort"? "2ED"? The Insight is not a "luxury" model.
    edited September 2020 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If they've screwed up a cable connection then they're not going to get wireless right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

RYC2000 said:
    I notice the system is very sensitive. I can only turn the electronics on without starting the car and listen to something on my phone. If I were to start the car immediately after, the unit would loose connection to my phone. I have to disconnect and reconnect to get CarPlay back.

Wow. It's almost as if they want to make CarPlay look bad so you have to use their crappy in-house system. 🤔
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016 said:

RYC2000 said:

Wow. It's almost as if they want to make CarPlay look bad so you have to use their crappy in-house system. 🤔
    There’s no way to make CarPlay look bad enough that their in-house system looks good. I’m so mad that I paid for the useless Nav system on our 2016 Odyssey. I curse their engineers: May they be forced to use their own Nav system for all of their driving. 

I put a $250 Sony CarPlay head unit in our 2007 Pilot (and about $15 for a compatible rear camera on eBay) and life is good in that car. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    The only thing understandably odd that I've noticed with CarPlay on my 2020 CRV is that it won't let you do the initial pairing with your phone while the car is in motion. It's obviously a distraction avoidance thing. Otherwise, no problems other than the volume of incoming calls being ridiculously loud compared to the audio level for navigation, music, etc. User error perhaps?

I do wish that I didn't have to use a cable and could do everything wirelessly, but Honda's bluetooth implementation seems to be a little "weak" to say the least, so requiring a cable is probably a lesser inconvenience than fiddling endlessly with bluetooth pairing issues. It does bug me that the bluetooth id beacon used for pairing with the vehicle isn't unique at all, so if you have multiple Honda vehicles they are all identified in your iPhone's bluetooth setting with exactly the same identifier. 

I'm thoroughly convinced that Apple is the only company that knows how to do bluetooth properly - but only because the were able to inject a shim known as the W1 into the comm stack to overcome most of bluetooth's inherent weaknesses. I hope later revisions of the bluetooth spec follow Apple's lead in some way, just to make the pairing process more robust, reliable, and less fiddly. As a true PAN protocol, bluetooth is not fully baked.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    The funny thing is that one of my purchase requirements for a new car was to get one that had CarPlay. And yet I was unable to use CarPlay reliably in my Honda so I gave up on CarPlay in my Honda. If the leaker AppleSeeder2020 is correct, Apple is working on an OS for cars, not just for infotainment (ie, CarPlay). As such, my next requirement for a new car will probably be one that includes Apple's "CarOS" (my guess at its name). Normally I only buy cars from the companies with the absolute highest reliability ratings, but I'd settle for just about any manufacturer who sells a car with "Apple CarOS." Are you listening, car manufacturers, and do you want my $30,000? - Give me Apple's CarOS.

In my opinion, CarOS will be a desperately needed product, much like ApplePay was, in hindsight, a brilliant idea. How did we ever get along without it?

edited September 2020