'AirTags' leak reveals circular button design of tracking accessory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mike1 said:
     but by relaying the low-power signal around the world using the millions of iOS devices out in the wild.

As long as "the millions of iOS devices"  are the iPhone 11 or newer?

sailorpaul
  • Reply 22 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,945member
    Am I the only one that thinks they should be Apple-shaped? 😛

I wouldn’t be surprised if future versions of apple accessories have an air tag built in. It would be really handy for AirPods, the Apple Pencil and even MacBook chargers. 
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    mike1 said:
    wood1208 said:
    What is needed is something like AirTag but able to be tracked at very long distance. Example is people can attach to dogs collar and track if runs away. It can also be life saving if person with AiTag is hiking and lost so rescue can track. Though do require very long battery life which able to send location signal for weeks. Keep in little kids pocket to track when vising public places like park,malls,Disney land,etc.
    Huh?! The whole point of this type of product is to work at long distances. Not by using transmitters that can reach around the globe like shortwave radio, but by relaying the low-power signal around the world using the millions of iOS devices out in the wild.

Like bar code, each Airtag have unique id that when you pair up with iPhone; should be able to track only(not millions IOS devices) that airtag at longer distance like Bluetooth pairing. You can track Apple watch at longer distance.
    That would be completely pointless. How would you track the tag once it was out of range of your phone?
    watto_cobrafastasleepmike1
  • Reply 24 of 35
    According to Prosser, Apple will be supplying a keychain for the tag, which will be sold separately”.

Of course it will 🤬
  • Reply 25 of 35
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,026member
    hentaiboy said:
    “According to Prosser, Apple will be supplying a keychain for the tag, which will be sold separately”.

Of course it will 🤬
    Hey accessories are a million dollar market, you and Apple know it too!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    hentaiboy said:
    “According to Prosser, Apple will be supplying a keychain for the tag, which will be sold separately”.

Of course it will 🤬
    Not everyone will need a keychain, but you can buy one from Apple for the hundreds of 3rd party accessories that will no doubt be available shortly after.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    mobird said:
    mike1 said:
     but by relaying the low-power signal around the world using the millions of iOS devices out in the wild.
    As long as "the millions of iOS devices"  are the iPhone 11 or newer?
    Why would you make that assumption?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Literally everything I've read said no "iPhone 12" at tomorrows event, except this article that says it's likely?  CONFUSED!
    I think Apple will announce the next generation iPhones at the event. Like the iPhone X, the model will ship at a later date than just a week after the announcement.

My assumption is that the iPhone is still the biggest news-maker for Apple and a September event without mentioning the iPhone is a remote possibility. 
    I may be proven wrong in about 12-13 hours.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    It will be similar to the Apple Display Pro XDR stand where the keychain for the tag will be a $900 extra :|
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I hope the circular design includes a way to actually attach it to a keyring, and the renders used to protect sources just don't include it.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,292member
    JinTech said:
    hentaiboy said:

Of course it will 🤬
    Hey accessories are a million dollar market, you and Apple know it too!

Correction: multi-million
  • Reply 32 of 35
    As so many, I also do not see the need for this. Nice little accessoire for the lightheaded, but for the masses? I don't see this. Maybe if it includes an A8 chip to which extensive computing from your iPhone or AppleWatch can be externalised ...
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Thinking about it – couldn't this kind of James Bond tech become a sneaky stalking device? That could fire back.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    davgreg said:
    As a Tile user this is what I will be looking for:

1- White plastic- no go.
    2- No replaceable battery - no go.
    3- No slim tracker for a wallet - no go.

Me too features are not going to get me to switch from Tile.
    As a Tile use this is what I will be looking for:

1. Not giving my location to Tile via their creepy app.
    Xed
  • Reply 35 of 35
    macapfel said:
    As so many, I also do not see the need for this. Nice little accessoire for the lightheaded, but for the masses? I don't see this. 
    Gee, Tile has sold like 30 million devices and helps find more than 3 million unique items every day. TrackR helps find 2m items daily, not sure how many devices they've sold. And that's only two of the brands out there. 

Maybe if it includes an A8 chip to which extensive computing from your iPhone or AppleWatch can be externalised ...
    That makes absolutely zero sense.

Thinking about it – couldn't this kind of James Bond tech become a sneaky stalking device? That could fire back.

Ah yes, the slippery slope fallacy. "Fire back"? You realize this technology has already been out there in the wild for years? And before that, GPS trackers?