Leaker details supposed iPad Air, iPad specs ahead of 'Time Flies' event

Posted:
in General Discussion
Leaker Evan Blass predicts that Apple will release both an iPad Air and an 8th-generation iPad at its Sept. 15 event, alongside an "Apple Watch Series 6" and "Apple Watch SE."

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

In a tweet Monday, Blass forecast that Apple will release a successor to both its iPad Air 3 and the seventh-generation iPad at a special event on Tuesday. Consensus has been that Apple plans to release either an iPad successor or iPad Air successor, not both.

- iPad Air 4th Gen: A14 and USB-C
- iPad 8th Gen: A12X and Lightning
- Apple Watch Series 6: S4, 2 sizes, both BT and LTE
- Apple Watch SE: also in 2 sizes, also BT and LTE versions

-- Evan Blass (@evleaks)

Blass added that the so-called "iPad Air 4" will sport an A14X chipset and a USB-C port, while the eighth-generation iPad will stick with an A12X and Lightning.

The "iPad Air 4" is also rumored to pack a 10.8-inch display, support for a Magic Keyboard with trackpad, and Touch ID embedded in the power button, according to previous rumors. On Monday, 9to5Mac, citing a "trusted source," said iPad Air will boast a single camera and not include the LiDAR Scanner introduced with Apple's most recent iPad Pro.

For Apple Watch, Blass said that the "Apple Watch Series 6" will share a design with Apple Watch Series 4, come in two sizes and have LTE and Bluetooth variants. He added that Apple will also debut an "Apple Watch SE" in two sizes with the same connectivity options.

Although Blass didn't give any additional details, past rumors have suggested that Apple will release new Apple Watch models -- "Apple Watch SE" -- with plastic casings at a lower price point on Sept. 15.

Apple is set to hold its "Time Flies" keynote at 10 a.m. Pacific on Tuesday, Sept. 15. The company is largely expected to debut new iPad and Apple Watch models at the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Not going to happen. No A14X until MacBooks and iPad Pros. No A14 until iPhones are released. Both the entry iPad and the iPad Air may have an A12. The Air, perhaps an A12X with a slight chance of an A13. 
    spock1234MisterKitchiawatto_cobraforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Come on, iPad Pro!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Come on, iPad Pro!
    This was last updated in March. Don’t think we’ll see an iPad Pro refresh until next spring...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Interesting but taken with a huge grain of salt. We’ll see tomorrow.
    SpamSandwichMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Availability of most/all new hardware will likely be Friday, Oct. 2nd, because Barclay Card 0% interest offer on Apple products expires end of Sept.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I can see the plausibility of the other rumors, but an A12X in the budget iPad, when the ~six-month old iPad Pro has the nearly identical A12Z doesn't seem likely, unless a surprise speed bump for the Pro is revealed as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the prices on the Air 4 and base iPad creep up.

And the editors may wish to fix the typo in the story -- the tweet claims A14, not A14X for the Air 4.

Much should be revealed soon enough.
    MisterKitchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I thought that saying the 8th Gen iPad would "stick with" an A12 processor was odd phrasing.    Currently, the 7th Gen runs on an A10 and going to an A12 would be a significant upgrade/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    My A10 iPad 7’s are suddenly looking long in the tooth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I thought that saying the 8th Gen iPad would "stick with" an A12 processor was odd phrasing.    Currently, the 7th Gen runs on an A10 and going to an A12 would be a significant upgrade/
    Agreed. And you might get your wish for an upgraded entry level iPad.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 11
    How many years until Apple Card expands into Canada? Canada is typically Apple's first international region. In fact for some things Canada is treated as part of the US.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    peterhart said: This was last updated in March. Don’t think we’ll see an iPad Pro refresh until next spring...
    I tend to buy the idea that the A12Z update for the iPad Pro was done primarily to get LIDAR into the hands of developers, so an A14X update alongside the A14 iPhone is not that unlikely this fall. Then you could have an A14X ATV roll out in spring 2021.
    GeorgeBMac