Apple Store goes down ahead of Apple Watch & iPad 'Time Flies' event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple has taken the online Apple Store down, a move that typically preempts new product launches and other major updates, hours ahead of Tuesday's "Time Flies" special event.

The Apple Store's 'Be Right Back' message.
The Apple Store's 'Be Right Back' message.

At approximately 7am eastern time, Apple took down its online store, preventing customers from making purchases. Instead, visitors to the store are greeted by a black screen featuring an animated Apple logo and the text "Be right back. We're making updates to the Apple Store. Check back soon."

The message is usually displayed during maintenance periods ahead of major announcements, such as product price changes and adjustments, and the introduction of new products. It is also customary for Apple to take down the store in advance of major presentations, such as Tuesday's "Time Flies" special event, as it prepares to show off brand new hardware for the first time.

The event, which will start at 10am pacific time, 1pm eastern time, is expected to feature the "Apple Watch Series 6" as its main product launch, one which is rumored to be supported by a new plastic version that will be an entry-level version of the wearable device.

Another product likely to appear will be the "iPad Air 4," an update that introduces squared and flat edges similar to the iPad Pro lineup, a larger 10.8-inch screen, and a shift of Touch ID to the power button following the removal of the front Home button.

Another candidate for launch is "AirTags," Apple's often-rumored Ultra Wide-band tracker accessory. It is believed to take advantage of the Find My app on iPhones to help users track down lost items, such as keys.

While a September event is usually a venue for Apple to introduce a new iPhone, such as the "iPhone 12," speculation has Apple holding a second event for the 2020 iPhone models, possibly in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Well that’s a good sign. Means there will be something to order.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Oh how exciting.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Such a weird little ceremony.
    Japhey
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Had an idea last night that the AW 6 could come in stainless $499, aluminum $399, and plastic $199. Same features. Same sensors. No more selling last years model as the loss leader. 

Then I woke up. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    DAalseth said:
    Had an idea last night that the AW 6 could come in stainless $499, aluminum $399, and plastic $199. Same features. Same sensors. No more selling last years model as the loss leader. 

Then I woke up. 

All else being the same, I don't think you'd get a $200 savings between aluminum and plastic. Now maybe, the S4 or even S5 innards in plastic might get to your $199 wish.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    mike1 said:
    DAalseth said:

Then I woke up. 

All else being the same, I don't think you'd get a $200 savings between aluminum and plastic. Now maybe, the S4 or even S5 innards in plastic might get to your $199 wish.
    That's why it could only be a dream.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Kind of interesting to note which links on Apple.com are still active versus which ones are in the "Be Right Back" state. On the Apple Watch page the following top level links are in the "Be Right Back" state:

Apple Watch Studio
    Bands
    Accessories

All other links like "Apple Watch Series 5" are still active.

Similar behaviors on other parts of the store, like iPad "Accessories," iPhone "Accessories," Apple TV HD, Apple TV "Accessories," Beats, Music "Accessories," Gift Cards, and Mac "Accessories." 

This probably means nothing, but we'll see for sure in a few hours...
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    DAalseth said:

Then I woke up. 
    Apple does not have much history of pursuing the down-market with cheapened versions of their hardware. Without a significant redesign or some really remarkable materials science, a plastic watch case would be prone to breakage, particularly at the lever point where it connects to the watch band. Take whatever the fail rate for those units is, and magnify it by about 100,000 in public perception, and you'd have the beginnings of a cost estimate to Apple's reputation for quality. Apple doesn't do cheap just to get market share points. That's why discounting prior models typically represents their bottom end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    AppleZulu said:
    DAalseth said:

Then I woke up. 
    Apple does not have much history of pursuing the down-market with cheapened versions of their hardware. Without a significant redesign or some really remarkable materials science, a plastic watch case would be prone to breakage, particularly at the lever point where it connects to the watch band. Take whatever the fail rate for those units is, and magnify it by about 100,000 in public perception, and you'd have the beginnings of a cost estimate to Apple's reputation for quality. Apple doesn't do cheap just to get market share points. That's why discounting prior models typically represents their bottom end.

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that the leaked Apple Watch SE at a cheaper price won't appear, right? Let us revisit your comment in couple of hours time.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    A plastic watch makes some sense.  Think iPhone 5C.  But only without some tech (ECG, LTE, screen).  

Watch speed makes the most of the experience.  I love my black SS series zero but it’s unbearable to use.  I paid $1200 for it and the link band.  Never again.  

Still use the band with my aluminum series 4, though.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Liquidmetal - injection moulded... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    AppleZulu said:
    DAalseth said:

Then I woke up. 

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that the leaked Apple Watch SE at a cheaper price won't appear, right? Let us revisit your comment in couple of hours time.
    I didn’t see any plastic watches, did you?

Also: SE - $279, not plastic. Series 3 - $199, still not plastic, but discounted prior model rounding out the bottom end. Apple doesn’t do cheap to pursue market share points. 
    edited September 2020