Adobe Illustrator arriving on the iPad on October 21

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Adobe Illustrator for iPad is now available to "pre-order" in the App Store, with an expected availability date of October 21, 2020.

Adobe Illustrator slated to hit the iPad on October 21

It's no secret that Adobe has been planning on bringing its popular vector illustration software to the iPad-- it's just been a question of "when."

According to the listing in the App Store, that date appears to be October 21, 2020. This would place the release on the second day of Adobe MAX, a three-day virtual creativity conference dedicated to all things Adobe.

While listed as "pre-order," it should be noted that users will not be able to buy Illustrator outright as a standalone product. Like all Adobe products, Illustrator is available on a subscription-only basis. Those who subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud plan will pay $52.99 per month, which grants them access to all Adobe products, both desktop and mobile.

There may be standalone pricing available at the release date-- Adobe already does an in-app purchase unlock for iPad apps like Adobe Photoshop on the iPad and Adobe Fresco -- but there is no current information on pricing.

In March, Adobe began privately inviting artists and designers to test out Adobe Illustrator on the iPad. They had previously announced their plans to bring the program to the iPad in November of 2020, shortly after the release of Photoshop for the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Subscription still all Adobe is going to do?

Piss right off then, Adobe.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Those who subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud plan will pay $52.99 per month, which grants them access to all Adobe products, both desktop and mobile. 

Compare one month's Creative Cloud plan to these pay once until a major update:
    Graphic $29.99 Mac, $2.99 iOS (compares to Illustrator)
    Pixelmator $29.99 Mac, $4.99 iOS (compares to Photoshop)
    Pixelmator Pro $27.99 Mac 
    (compares to Photoshop)
    Affinity Designer $49.99 Mac, $19.99 iOS (compares to Illustrator)
    Affinity Photo $49.99 Mac, $19.99 iOS (compares to Photoshop)
    Affinity Publisher $49.99 Mac (compares to InDesign)

There are others that make use of Apple's Core apis making them faster than Adobe products. Two to three months of Creative Cloud and I've paid for several non-Adobe apps and own them for as long as I want. Stop paying Adobe and you can't use their apps.
    watto_cobraDancingMonkeys
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    rob53 said:
    Those who subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud plan will pay $52.99 per month, which grants them access to all Adobe products, both desktop and mobile. 

Compare one month's Creative Cloud plan to these pay once until a major update:
    Graphic $29.99 Mac, $2.99 iOS (compares to Illustrator)
    Pixelmator $29.99 Mac, $4.99 iOS (compares to Photoshop)
    Pixelmator Pro $27.99 Mac (compares to Photoshop)
    Affinity Designer $49.99 Mac, $19.99 iOS (compares to Illustrator)
    Affinity Photo $49.99 Mac, $19.99 iOS (compares to Photoshop)
    Affinity Publisher $49.99 Mac (compares to InDesign)

There are others that make use of Apple's Core apis making them faster than Adobe products. Two to three months of Creative Cloud and I've paid for several non-Adobe apps and own them for as long as I want. Stop paying Adobe and you can't use their apps.
    And Serif confirmed that Affinity Photo had been ported to Apple Silicon Macs about 2-weeks after the DTK release.

Preferences aside, it’s great that flagship products are supporting ASi I’ll be keen to see how Apple punches the graphics on the Mac chips.
    tmay
  • Reply 4 of 4
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    This got lost amid the new iPads & watches. 

Unlike the sour grapes above, I am excited about Illustrator on iPad, though my illustrator work tends toward the technical realm of packaging design. I don’t usually use my Wacom tablet for Illustrator on my Mac due to the precision geometry required for packaging work.

But now iPads work with mice & keyboards, so perhaps I can get the precision I need while still using a tablet device. 

Even if Illustrator is functional, it seems like a tougher sell than photoshop on the iPad, which was the most natural fit and probably will stay that way. 
    edited September 2020