Pixelmator Photo 1.4 for iPad adds Machine Learning Super Resolution

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
A new update to the Pixelmator Photo editor app on the iPad includes the Mac version's ability to use Machine Learning to intelligently increase resolution.

The results depend greatly on your original image, but ML Super Resolution can increase the size and resolution of your images while keeping detail and sharpness
The results depend greatly on your original image, but ML Super Resolution can increase the size and resolution of your images while keeping detail and sharpness

Ahead of Apple's expected announcement of new iPads at its September 15 event, the developers of Pixelmator Photo have released an update which adds desktop Mac-style features.

"The processing power of iPad has advanced in leaps and bounds over the last few years," says Tomas Andrijauskas, the lead developer of Pixelmator Photo. "With these advances, it's now possible to open up workflows that simply weren't possible in the past, like using machine learning techniques to magically enlarge photos while retaining sharpness and enhancing intricate details."

Most notably, Pixelmator Photo 1.4 now includes ML Super Resolution, which increases the size and resolution of images automatically. The results vary considerably depending on your source image, but at its best it is able to enlarge an image to three times its original size while maintaining sharpness and detail.

This feature is actually better than its first implementation on the Mac, as it now includes a quick comparison slider. After the image's resolution has been increased, you can optionally swipe over to compare the results with the original.

Pixelmator Photo's Machine Learning features -- like this ML Match Color one -- now have a Quick Comparison slider to let you see your improvements
Pixelmator Photo's Machine Learning features -- like this ML Match Color one -- now have a Quick Comparison slider to let you see your improvements

Pixelmator Photo 1.4 brings that same comparison slider to the existing ML Match Colors feature. This is a tool that, like grading in video, lets you take the colors from one image and paste them over another to make them match.

This latest update also adds support for the Apple Pencil's double-tap gesture. And it includes enhancements to batch editing images, plus bug fixes.

Pixelmator Photo 1.4 is a free upgrade for existing users, and costs $7.99 on the App Store for new buyers. It requires iOS 11 or later, and works on all iPad Pro models plus iPad Air 3 or later, iPad mini 5 or later, and the 10.2-inch iPad 7th generation or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I absolutely love Pixelmator Pro. Was too cheap to purchase Photoshop, so I used Gimp for a while. But have been using Pixelmator Pro for MacBook Pro and Pixelmator for my iPad for nearly two years and couldn't be happier. And the frequent updates are a plus as well.
    foregoneconclusiondewmewonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    mazda 3s said:
    I absolutely love Pixelmator Pro. Was too cheap to purchase Photoshop, so I used Gimp for a while. But have been using Pixelmator Pro for MacBook Pro and Pixelmator for my iPad for nearly two years and couldn't be happier. And the frequent updates are a plus as well.
    Yes indeed, the Pixelmator apps are a tremendous value. I have to say the same thing about all of Affinity's apps as well, both on iPadOS and macOS. This tells me that there are still a few companies out there who are able to deliver outstanding value in their apps without having to resort to a subscription model. Whether they'll be able to keep doing so forever is an open question, but for as long as they can keep the buy-it-once party going,I'm thankful and enjoying the ride. 
    foregoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Can't wait for Apple Silicon Macs to come out with ML so the macOS version of Pixelmator can get updated. 
    watto_cobra