Arlo launches wire-free video doorbell with square aspect ratio

Posted:
in General Discussion
After debuting a wired video doorbell earlier this year, Arlo is now launching a new wireless version that packs the same HD sensor, wide field of view, and unique square aspect ratio, minus HomeKit.

Arlo's wire-free video doorbell
Arlo's wire-free video doorbell

The new Arlo Wire-Free Essential Video Doorbell, a wireless version of the one we previously reviewed, is able to be installed in more locations without the need to be hard-wired. The new unit has a full HD sensor to capture clear video with a large 180-degree field of view.

The same 1:1 square aspect ratio is retained, which captures the vertical space, at the expense of some of the horizontal space. This is great for seeing when a package is on the porch, often missed by other cameras.

When installed, it can use a rechargeable battery or it can be wired up to your existing doorbell setup for constant power. The battery will last three to six months based on usage.

Arlo also touts direct-to-mobile video calls, two-way talk, and pre-recorded quick reply responses as features of its new offering. Guests can leave voicemail messages for you at the door if you're unable to answer, motion detection lets you know someone is there before anyone presses the button, HDR video gets you better detail in backlit shots, and night mode allows you to see better in low light.

Minus HomeKit, connectivity is provided by the Arlo app, available for iOS and Android.

The doorbell cam comes with a three-month trial to Arlo Smart which enables additional features such as rich notifications, package detection, and more. Arlo is also announcing a new Wi-Fi chime, slated for the first quarter of 2021 to add in-home audio to the doorbell.

You can preorder the new Arlo Essential Wire-Free Video Doorbell now for $199 from Amazon with shipping commencing later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Ahh! I got excited for a brief second. If it offered HomeKit, I'd replace my Ring Doorbell as soon as it shipped. All my other cameras are Arlo, so if I didn't already have the Ring, I'd get this if only to limit the amount of apps I need to use.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Just a reminder that Arlo are nice on paper, but horrible in practice:
    - Finding the relevant video is near impossible and the recordings always start too late regardless of the sensitivity setting. (Had entire parcels get delivered without any video recording.)
    - Scrubbing the video isn't possible (must always download it in full first because their servers are slow af)
    - The detection features are bizarre, expect lots of recording of moving foliage and not a lot of people.
    - Add ons like the solar panel aren't sufficient to keep the camera charged without intervention
    - Entire add-ons like the plug-in system were abandoned because they weren't even slightly moisture proof and the system itself would throw errors after long term use.

Etc. etc. The hardware looks nice, but that just hides a rubbish, poorly thought out system that clearly no one over there uses themselves.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayscg27watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Is this a rebranded Nest Hello doorbell camera? It looks identical.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    No HomeKit? No thanks.
    kiehtanStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Just a reminder that Arlo are nice on paper, but horrible in practice:
    - Finding the relevant video is near impossible and the recordings always start too late regardless of the sensitivity setting. (Had entire parcels get delivered without any video recording.)
    - Scrubbing the video isn't possible (must always download it in full first because their servers are slow af)
    - The detection features are bizarre, expect lots of recording of moving foliage and not a lot of people.
    - Add ons like the solar panel aren't sufficient to keep the camera charged without intervention
    - Entire add-ons like the plug-in system were abandoned because they weren't even slightly moisture proof and the system itself would throw errors after long term use.

Etc. etc. The hardware looks nice, but that just hides a rubbish, poorly thought out system that clearly no one over there uses themselves.

That's your experience.
    - Never had any problem finding a video. They're all listed by date and time as soon as the clip is done recording.
    - Don't have excessive false alarms due to unwanted motion. Motion is motion, so I do sometimes eliminate problem areas from the detection area. Never misses a person, though.
    - The camera that I use the solar charger with is always charged and I've never seen the battery drop below 75% during the dreariest winter days. I don't even bother using a solar charger with another camera, because it is almost always in shade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    No HomeKit? No thanks.
    I'm starting to think there's a reason there are no wireless HomeKit doorbell cameras. Probably has to do with battery life. I change the battery on my Ring about every 4-5 weeks. I would accept changing it twice as often if I was given the choice to enable HomeKit.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    So… still no obvious choice available on the market for a HomeKit doorbell (heck, I'd even be happy without video, as long as I get proper HomeKit notifications); without some sort of third party requirements for it to work?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    No HomeKit, no sale.   

Also, a wired unit would not have a battery life problem
    watto_cobra