Apple's redesigned iPad Air sports 10.9-inch display, A14 Bionic chip

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    JFC_PA said:
    I’d guess my only pause is the Touch ID implementation. Those edge ID system  identifiers haven’t got a very good history. It leaves the Pro in the mix for me (along with the higher storage options as I’m a photographer who’d like the backup and my full frame dSLR, currently a d850, generates huge image files I shoot thousands of on road trips). 

Well the tech details will be interesting. They are close, Apple usually doesn’t make that mistake, an
    iPad Pro update on the horizon?
    If this IPA has the same connectivity capabilities as the iPad Pro, then storage is a matter of a sufficiently large external hard drive.  It's an additional expense, but it seems like the per gigabyte cost is less when you're talking about truly large capacities.  I don't know if your cameral allows for direct transfer to an external drive; if not then backup isn't as simple as backup to just the iPad, but still doable.

I thought I read somewhere in my D5500's documentation that if I connect my phone via the camera's network, it could mirror the photos I take.  I can't imagine that would be a very fast transfer rate, but it might be an alternative.

I've been debating on getting a Pro for simple field editing of photos I take while away from my PC.  I'm wondering if this will fit the bill.  But I'm also going to get an Apple Watch 6, so it might be best to wait to see if the Pros get an update in a couple of months.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

cloudguy said:
    tmay said:
    cloudguy said:
    A14 is only hexacore. Strange. Was certain that it was going to be octa-core. Hexacore is good enough to replace the i3 and i5 in the Mac Mini and MacBook Air, but for MacBook Pro and iMac they are going to need an octacore design at minimum.
    CloudDude, the A series SOC isn't going to be used in any production Mac, so you can stop clutching your pearls.
    I have read in various places that it was. Some have said that it would not be, but more places have stated that it would be than would not. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    Nobody has a link to prove it, but common sense says they aren't going to use their iPad SOC in their brand new desktop offerings. Come on, now.
    Yes, there are links to prove it, just as one can go and watch the June developer’s conference. Here’s a link from Apple’s site, and then the part about the new chips that I copied out of it.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

Family of Mac SoCs to Deliver Powerful New Features and Best-in-Class Performance

For over a decade, Apple’s world-class silicon design team has been building and refining Apple SoCs. The result is a scalable architecture custom designed for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch that leads the industry in unique features and performance per watt, and makes each of them best in class. Building upon this architecture, Apple is designing a family of SoCs for the Mac. This will give the Mac industry-leading performance per watt and higher performance GPUs — enabling app developers to write even more powerful pro apps and high-end games. And access to technologies such as the Neural Engine will make the Mac an amazing platform for developers to use machine learning. This will also create a common architecture across all Apple products, making it far easier for developers to write and optimize software for the entire Apple ecosystem
    aderuttertmaytechconcmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 75
    So, I just bout a 11” iPad Pro a few days ago (still unopened). What distinguishes the product lines now?  Makes
    no sense. 
    Pro offers a (slightly) larger screen and larger storage capacities (and a higher price).  Yeah, the Air eats the Pro's lunch.
    I thought the Pros offered higher brightness, too.  (Maybe I’m conflating that with the laptop lines.)
    Good catch.  600 nits for the 2 Pro models, 500 nits for the new Air.
    tmaybigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 75
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Whatever.
    Nothing compels me to give up my iPad Air 2.
    Faster processor for reading websites? Nope.
    Slightly larger screen for reading websites? Nope.
    Same screen resolution. Nope.
    Weighs 20 grams more. Nope.

I want higher resolution!

What would that do for you? Give you peace of mind that the number of pixels is higher? 99% of people can't see a difference. I wanna say 100% but there has to be a mutant with super-vision out there.
    spock1234techconcmuthuk_vanalingamlongfangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 75
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    So, I just bout a 11” iPad Pro a few days ago (still unopened). What distinguishes the product lines now?  Makes
    no sense. 
    I think the new iPad Air slots in very nicely with the current iPad Pro 11 at the same storage capacities. The iPad Pro still has a more extensive feature set, better display, and much better camera array, and includes a lidar sensor. You can also equip the Pro with a lot more storage. The primary thing that the new Air has going for it over the Pro is the CPU technology is newer.

The Air's CPU advantage is a consequence of having a staggered release between the Pro and the Air. If you bought the Pro based on matching its feature set and performance to your needs you are not going to be giving up anything to the Air over the service life of your Pro. On the other hand, if you're not really taking advantage of the Pro's benefits over the Air, in other words, you're using a Pro for uses that the Air would fully satisfy, then the Air is a better deal because it costs less. This is the logic that you really need to apply to determine whether Apple's product line strategy makes sense for you.

For me, Apple's strategy, product positioning, and pricing on the three iPad tiers (or 4 if you count the Mini) makes perfect sense. Perhaps it would be even more perfect for some folks if they released everything all at once so the positioning was more obvious, but by delineating between the base iPad, the Air, and the Pro (and the Mini - I guess, it's an odd outlier) they've kind of forced customers to pick a tier and stick with it as long as it fully meets their needs. You can of course change tiers anytime you want, but at risk of paying for more than you need or losing out on features and performance you need. If you stay in your tier the staggered releases and new stuff in other tiers should be of little consequence, other than to remind you that the next product release in "your tier" is probably going to be amazing. We just so happen to be at a time of the year when the base level and Air level get a little love. The Pros will have their day soon enough.

Remember, it's Apple we're talking about. Everything they do is purposeful and orchestrated. 
    edited September 2020 bigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 75
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Disper said:
    I like the new iPad Air 4 overall. Colors are cool = green.

i like my iPad Pro 11 but it tipped over, slightly cracked screen - so tradein value =0.

Will miss pro-motion 120hz - and yes you can notice if u care and don’t believe quality/improvement = ‘dumb’.

The faster 5nm a14 and colors and slightly better price are enough to mean I will probably get it even though I love Face ID on iPad Pro and iPhone X, will miss it.

Oh crap *forehead slap*. I assumed FaceID was included because of the design and that TouchID was added for security.

Either way I'm sure iPhone is bringing back TouchID on the power button.
    bigpics
  • Reply 47 of 75
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    JFC_PA said:
    I’d guess my only pause is the Touch ID implementation. Those edge ID system  identifiers haven’t got a very good history. It leaves the Pro in the mix for me (along with the higher storage options as I’m a photographer who’d like the backup and my full frame dSLR, currently a d850, generates huge image files I shoot thousands of on road trips). 

Well the tech details will be interesting. They are close, Apple usually doesn’t make that mistake, an
    If this IPA has the same connectivity capabilities as the iPad Pro, then storage is a matter of a sufficiently large external hard drive.  It's an additional expense, but it seems like the per gigabyte cost is less when you're talking about truly large capacities.  I don't know if your cameral allows for direct transfer to an external drive; if not then backup isn't as simple as backup to just the iPad, but still doable.

I thought I read somewhere in my D5500's documentation that if I connect my phone via the camera's network, it could mirror the photos I take.  I can't imagine that would be a very fast transfer rate, but it might be an alternative.

I've been debating on getting a Pro for simple field editing of photos I take while away from my PC.  I'm wondering if this will fit the bill.  But I'm also going to get an Apple Watch 6, so it might be best to wait to see if the Pros get an update in a couple of months.
    Do we know if the new iPad Air can use an external hard drive? I kind of assume it can because of the USB C port, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 75
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Hmm. Since their comparisons were to the A12 in the previous iPad Air, if you work it backwards it doesn't look like as large a jump as usual from the A13. Looking at around 16% faster CPU and 8-9% faster GPU? I wonder if this is why they debuted in an iPad Air first, since its much more impressive in comparison to the last Air than the last iPhone, where they can kind of say they already talked about it at the iPhone event.

Couldn't expect those huge single core gains forever, but from the iPhone 11 to 12 this looks like a smaller jump. If the iPhone 12 Pro had ProMotion that would have been an easy overlook if the added efficiency offset the higher refresh rate, but it doesn't sound like we're getting that this year.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 75
    no sense. 
    Pro offers a (slightly) larger screen and larger storage capacities (and a higher price).  Yeah, the Air eats the Pro's lunch.
    Maybe Apple is waiting for the new iPhone announcements before they introduce the new iPad Pros. They may be using new chips, and Tim Apple wants to save the new chip announcement for their money maker, the iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Nice product for the US of A but too expensive in my country ($1000). Hopefully the full screen chassis will come to the standard iPad eventually.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 51 of 75
    MplsP said:
    JFC_PA said:

Do we know if the new iPad Air can use an external hard drive? I kind of assume it can because of the USB C port, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
    I hadn't watched it when I made the original comment, but the presentation mentioned "drives" when the USB-C feature was brought up, so I'm assuming that it does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 75
    no sense. 
    Maybe Apple is waiting for the new iPhone announcements before they introduce the new iPad Pros. They may be using new chips, and Tim Apple wants to save the new chip announcement for their money maker, the iPhone.
    New chips like the A14 in the new iPad Air? 😂 
    anonconformistspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 75
    no sense. 
    The second super wide camera, LiDAR, ProMotion refresh rates, higher storage options, Face ID, brighter display... anything else?

I have a 2020 iPad Pro, but if I didn’t and was shopping right now I’d probably go for one of these instead — though I’d definitely think hard about losing Face ID. I assume the Pro will become further differentiated in the Spring.
    edited September 2020 spock1234patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 75
    iPad Air 2020 vs 3rd Generation iPad Pro (11" screen).  Makes you think what are the key differences and is it worth an upgrade?  Early thoughts include:

A14 chip vs. A12X Bionic chip
    10.9" screen vs. 11" screen - Toss-up?
    264PPI vs. 264PPI
    247.6 x 178.5 x 6.1mm vs. 247.60 x 178.50 x 5.90mm - new iPad Air a touch thicker
    458 grams vs. 468 grams - new iPad Air a touch lighter
    Touch ID on button vs. Face ID - preference?
    USB-C vs. USB-C
    I could go on... but someone have any thoughts?

GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 75
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    Disper said:
    I like the new iPad Air 4 overall. Colors are cool = green.

i like my iPad Pro 11 but it tipped over, slightly cracked screen - so tradein value =0.

Will miss pro-motion 120hz - and yes you can notice if u care and don’t believe quality/improvement = ‘dumb’.

The faster 5nm a14 and colors and slightly better price are enough to mean I will probably get it even though I love Face ID on iPad Pro and iPhone X, will miss it.

Oh crap *forehead slap*. I assumed FaceID was included because of the design and that TouchID was added for security.

Either way I'm sure iPhone is bringing back TouchID on the power button.
    Agreed. Like you, it was the first thing I thought of. Done deal, imo. Dual biometric security on top of all the other rumored additions will be very difficult for android to compete with. It would actually make it easier for me to swallow not getting the 120 Hz display this year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 75
    JFC_PA said:

There are Apple camera adapters that at first glance will allow uploading image files off the camera card inserted into a card reader into the iPad. If that turns out to be correct (a trip to B&H video is in order) I’d get backup and editing with a smaller and cheaper alternative to my MB Pro for the aforesaid road trips. 

Yah, the mirroring might be Nikon’s SnapBridge: but iirc, it doesn’t transfer raw and for me my iPhone isn’t large enough for bulk storage in any case. But it’s an option. Iirc it transfers them on the fly so speed is less of an issue. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 75
    no sense. 
    The Pro has a lidar sensor, 120hz screen and faceID too, but these are things that are not worth the extra cost (although FaceID is really great on an iPad). I think this is a signal that the next Pro will step up the game in order to differentiate.
    edited September 2020 spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 75
    no sense. 
    The Pro adds: ProMotion display, FaceID, True Depth front cam, second rear camera, flash, 2 more speakers, more than 256GB storage.
    edited September 2020 spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    no sense. 
    There is a lot less difference now, that's true, but Pro still holds advantage in a few areas:

- 120Hz display (promotion)
    - Face ID
    - LiDar sensor
    - slightly thinner
    - more RAM
    - better cameras

spock1234GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Beats said:

What would that do for you? Give you peace of mind that the number of pixels is higher? 99% of people can't see a difference. I wanna say 100% but there has to be a mutant with super-vision out there.
    Mutants aren’t people! 

Team Xavier vs Team Magneto 
    watto_cobra