AppleCare+ coverage expanded to two accidents per year, purchase period extended

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple this week updated its AppleCare+ warranty product to cover more accidental damage per year, while at the same time extending the time period in which owners can sign up for the service.

AppleCare

Under the new terms, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod and iPod owners are now covered for two incidents of accidental damage per 12-month period, according to the AppleCare webpage. Prior to the change, customers were granted two incidents of accidental damage protection every 24 months.

Apple's fine print notes customers are unable to roll over unused accidental damage incidents. The two covered cases expire after an initial 12-month period, with Apple granting protection of an additional two incidents to use within the next 12 months of continued coverage.

Unlike product defects and manufacturing flaws, owners must pay a flat service fee for accidental damage repairs. For example, iPad's deductible is $49 for tablet hardware or $29 for accessories, while iPhone fees range from $29 for screen damage to $99 for all other incidents. Mac fees run higher at $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage.

In addition to the updated coverage terms, Apple is extending the AppleCare+ subscription window to one year after purchase for users in the U.S. and Canada, Bloomberg reports. Currently, new buyers have 60 days to sign up for the program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    so does this mean if you have 2 replacements the first year, it resets after 12 months and you can have another 2 replacements?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    peteo said:
    so does this mean if you have 2 replacements the first year, it resets after 12 months and you can have another 2 replacements?
    Not sure how this isn't clear from the article, but yes.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Is this just for new activation, or does it apply to previous purchases? For instance, I bought a 3-year plan 1 year ago and it had a 24-month restriction. So if I used it today, I couldn't use it again. However, with this update, I could use it today and then again in 1 year. 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Djice said:
    Is this just for new activation, or does it apply to previous purchases? For instance, I bought a 3-year plan 1 year ago and it had a 24-month restriction. So if I used it today, I couldn't use it again. However, with this update, I could use it today and then again in 1 year. 
    You plan has what it stated when you purchased it - it is a contract.

There is no 3-year plan.  There is a 2-year extension on the manufacturers warranty, and if the plan is AppleCare+, then it has accidental damage coverage, based on the terms of the contract when you purchased it.