'AirPods Studio' renders based on leaked video surface

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Spitbath said:
    Doesn't look high-end at all. 
    What, pray tell audio expert, are "high-end" headphones supposed to look like? Huh?

Some of the finest sounding headphones, er, ear speakers were were STAX electrostatics. There are some similarities between those and the render. Those are pretty good looking cans to my eye.
    Let me rephrase that... these don't look on par with Apple's design standards. I'm no audio expert (never said I was) and I wasn't critiquing the sound quality. They don't need to look like and, given Apple's reputation for designing iconic products, probably shouldn't look like or share similarities with STAX (which do look cool, maybe in the Star Wars universe). 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    macgui said:
    fred1 said:
    I still don’t get why these are called “AirPods”. Aren’t they headphones? Aren’t AirPods those little guys that go in your ears?
    Don't be ridiculous. A pod can be many different things. A group of whales is a pod. In a month after their release, only butt hurt haters will be worrying about the name.

Spitbath said:
    These are hideously ugly! 
    You're obviously entitled to your opinion.

Spitbath said:
    Doesn't look high-end at all. 
    What, pray tell audio expert, are "high-end" headphones supposed to look like? Huh?

Some of the finest sounding headphones, er, ear speakers were were STAX electrostatics. There are some similarities between those and the render. Those are pretty good looking cans to my eye.

OK, those won’t work as shown. Without an ability to position the ear coverings, they simply won’t sit on a person’s head correctly. 
    Bullshit and nonsense. You don't and can't know that, based on the render.

I'll agree that the render doesn't show how any vertical adjustment might be achieved. But I can see how it could be accomplished based on the render even if it isn't shown.

It's speculation on both our parts. It is entirely possible there would be all the typical adjustments needed as shown, even if we can't see it.

It would be some slick engineering, but entirely within Apple's wheelhouse to get it done.

Apple's current line up of AirPods aren't known for stellar audio quality, and some might argue they're mediocre. But I find them more than acceptable, for what they are.

I'm not a fan of over the ear headphones having active noise cancellation. Where I where them, there's no need for the feature or the additional cost it brings, in addition to the potential impairment that cheaper implementations bring.

It can be switched off, but I'd rather not pay for something I won't use. I'm looking at the Sony XM 4s and think Apple will trade superior audio fidelity for convenience. But for listening to all my Apple devices, these new cans might be worth considering. The way the AirPods can be quickly switched among a dozen devices without pairing every time has been a real convenience for me.

For relaxed (stationary) critical listening, I use either some AKGs or Senns. But with open backs, they can annoy my better half. If the AirPods Studio sound reasonably good, the convenience and peace they bring may be worth adding them to my aural armory.