Apple's new tvOS 14 is now available for Apple TV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
The newly updated tvOS 14 has just released, bringing with it the usual slate of bug fixes, as well as several new features, many of which had been disclosed during Apple's June WWDC event.

Apple's new tvOS 14 is now available for Apple TV

Perhaps the most hotly anticipated feature is the Home App, which has finally arrived on Apple TV. This feature, dubbed "Home View," allows HomeKit compatible cameras to pop up a picture-in-picture notification when someone approaches your home. Home View also allows you to see your favorite cameras and view your automation scenes quickly.

Expanded PiP support

Picture-in-picture support has been expanded as well. Now users can use fitness apps while watching live TV or use picture-in-picture videos shared across AirPlay.

Apple Arcade on Apple TV

The upgraded tvOS now offers support for multiple Apple Arcade users, enabling each user to pick up a game where they left off. There's also expanded controller support in tvOS 14 -- the Apple TV now works with the Xbox Elite 2 and Xbox Adaptive controllers.

Those using AirPlay to share a 4K video to an Apple TV 4K will now see their video in full 4K resolution.

AirPods with the H1 chip can now audio share with tvOS, allowing users to enjoy movies together without disturbing other people in the room. Also, Aerial Screensavers can now be selected based on themes.

The tvOS 14 update is for all fourth generation and Apple TV 4K units. But, alongside the update is one for the third-generation Apple TV. It isn't yet clear what is contained in that update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Downloading Now
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As is iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Weather Channel app is not working after updating. That is ok, they only use it to play their videos. No local weather anymore, since awhile ago. 
    pscooter63Japhey
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Does the spatial audio feature work with AirPods and AppleTV?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Downloaded & installed 14, then went to a couple of 4K videos in YouTube (that I have confirmed play back in 4K using my TV’s YouTube app). However on Apple TV the same videos only play back at 1080 (the only option available in settings). The Apple TV YouTube app does not have an available update and the most recent version is dated April 2020. I assume I will have to wait for an app
    update to allow me to switch to higher resolution content playback. Has anyone else had a similar or different experience?
    BeatsAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14

Those using AirPlay to share a 4K video to an Apple TV 4K will now see their video in full 4K resolution. 
    I’m pretty happy about this. I find it very frustrating that 4K videos I’ve taken/made playback in clearly less than 4K over AirPlay and also when I view them in the Photos app downloaded from iCloud. A very welcome update to my eyes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Weather Channel app is not working after updating. That is ok, they only use it to play their videos. No local weather anymore, since awhile ago. 

Here's hoping Apple integrates Dark Sky into Apple TV.

Have you seen dark sky? It's beautiful:
    DarkSky.net
    Japheyexceptionhandlerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Wow, I can finally see what's on Apple TV+ without things from other services intermixed. That only took a year. 
    chasmBeatswilliamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 14
    No sound after tvOS 14 update on my 4K AppleTV with the Sonos Beam HDMI ARC connection to my LG TV. Anyone know how to fix this?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    No sound after tvOS 14 update on my 4K AppleTV with the Sonos Beam HDMI ARC connection to my LG TV. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Yes, go to audio in settings and choose what you want to play back to. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    AppleZulu said:
    Does the spatial audio feature work with AirPods and AppleTV?
    No. Not as far as I can tell and there is nothing about it on Apple’s site. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Grrre... I had to reenter all my credentials into into the various apps on my 4th gen Apple TV !!

I’m not happy!!! 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    So, have there been any inklings of an update for the Apple TV?  I have an old one, and if it's possibly going to see an update, I might wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Beats said:

Here's hoping Apple integrates Dark Sky into Apple TV.

Have you seen dark sky? It's beautiful:
    DarkSky.net
    i went to the dark sky.net blog and they are saying only app for apple is going to be supported i clicked on the included link and it said retry.  all as of august 2020.
    i have used accuweather and it has an i watch app still 
    watto_cobra