DuckDuckGo can now be set as default iOS 14 web browser

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2020
Popular web browser DuckDuckGo on Wednesday released an update that enables users to set the iOS app as a system default in iOS 14.

The latest version 7.53.0 of DuckDuckGo for iOS adds support for a new iOS 14 feature that allows third-party apps to be set as the system default web browser, replacing Safari on iPhone and iPad.

For the first time, Apple's mobile operating system allows users to choose a default web browser and email app. Software and services that meet criteria outlined by the company can offer the capability, though developers need to code in support.

In addition to the default browser option, today's DuckDuckGo update enables users to add web search and favorites to the home screen in the form of widgets.

A blog post detailing the update notes DuckDuckGo will retain and build upon user privacy features like default blocking of third-party tracking requests. The technology is claimed to deny user tracking techniques employed by Google and Facebook, among others.

The app is a free download from the iOS App Store. Once installed, users can navigate to Settings > DuckDuckGo > Default Browser App and select "DuckDuckGo" to transition from Safari.

Today's DuckDuckGo update follows similar releases from Microsoft, which pushed out new versions of email client Outlook and the Edge web browser to take advantage of iOS 14's new default replacement features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Edge, chrome, and duck duck are a go
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I set DDG as my default search engine a long time ago, but I still prefer the Safari browser.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I set DDG as my default search engine a long time ago, but I still prefer the Safari browser.
    Same
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I wonder: is the DDG browser just a wrapper around Safari with various "web extensions" built in?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    robaba said:
    Same
    Same, but I don’t know what the difference is between the DDG browser and Safari. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I can set default apps but when I turn off an iphone or Ipad everything goes back to the beginning.  Safari and Apple mail are back to standard.  Shame Apple
  • Reply 7 of 12
    robaba said:
    Same
    Mostly agreed.  I've been evaluating Firefox lately though, and it seems to be coming along nicely.  There are a few UI tweaks I'd make if it were just for me, but still pretty decent.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I thought DDG is a search engine and not a browser. The second para of this article is confusing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I tried the DDG browser for a while.

it’s terrible!

frankly, in their quest to be different, they took much of what makes a browser easy to use, and threw it away. This works completely differently from what everybody is used to. Yes, assuming bugs don’t cause a problem, it CAN be more secure if you password it up, but otherwise, it’s a real pain to use.
    edited September 2020 SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

I thought DDG is a search engine and not a browser. The second para of this article is confusing.
    It’s like Google. Google is a search engine, and Chrome is their browser.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It’s both. 
    watto_cobra