EU seeks new powers to police technology giants in Europe

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
The European Union is seeking new powers to police and penalize technology giants, like Apple, if their market dominance appears to threaten consumers or smaller rivals.

Credit: Reuters
Credit: Reuters

In recent years, the EU has stepped up efforts to curb the power of tech giants. In July, the EU announced plans to impose new tax, privacy, and online content rules.

Now, Brussels is seeking new powers to take on tech giants, including the ability to compel tech giants to break up, sell their European operations, or exclude companies from a single market altogether, The Financial Times reported on Monday.

Additionally, the EU is also mulling a rating system that could allow stakeholders and the public to assess a tech giant's behavior in areas such as tax compliance and the speed at which they take down questionable content.

EU commissioner Thierry Breton, who is spearheading the new rules, told FT that some of those powers would only be reserved for extreme circumstances. His comments follow public review of the EU's announced Digital Services Act.

"There is a feeling from end users of these platforms that they are too big to care," Breton said, adding that in some circumstances they "may also have the power to impose structural separation."

Regulators in Europe are drawing up a "blacklist" of activities that technology companies would be required to stop, as well as a "sliding scale" of penalties for non-compliance. Some of the antitrust rules include policies that prevent users from switching platforms, or systems that force users to rely on a single service.

However, Breton added that companies will retain limited liability for content posted on their platforms, adding that the rule is "something that's accepted by everyone."

Tech companies have come under scrutiny elsewhere in the world, too. The UK recently created a regulatory body that can impose fines without going through the court. In the U.S., the House Judiciary Committee is in the midst of wrapping up a yearlong antitrust investigation.

The EU commissioner said that draft legislation of the new rules would be ready by the end of 2020. Once the proposals are finished, they'll go through the European Parliament and the EU Council.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Here comes the micromanagement of high tech companies. I wonder which high tech company will be the first to pull out of Europe rather than give away their competitive advantage? For example, will Google be forced to publish its search engine source code? Or will Apple be forced to open its Secure Element to other companies? Or will Facebook be required to allow its users to request and see all the information it contains on them? Some day the EU will force one of these companies out of Europe.
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Here comes the micromanagement of high tech companies. I wonder which high tech company will be the first to pull out of Europe rather than give away their competitive advantage? For example, will Google be forced to publish its search engine source code? Or will Apple be forced to open its Secure Element to other companies? Or will Facebook be required to allow its users to request and see all the information it contains on them? Some day the EU will force one of these companies out of Europe.
    That isn't what is being proposed at all. Google or anyone else won't have to publish source code anywhere. 

There is no micromanagement either. This is an extension of an Act which itself was intended to extend existing laws and practices to cover digital platforms which were nascent back then. 

Everything will be similar to what is already applicable in the non-digital realm.

Another key aspect is that the EU wants to provide for situations so that new legislation is not necessary to be in place first, to be able to act as soon as complaints come in. That will make these processes far more agile if the proposals are approved and will force companies into far more stringent self regulation. 

• Reply 3 of 11
    avon b7 said:
    That isn't what is being proposed at all. Google or anyone else won't have to publish source code anywhere. 

There is no micromanagement either. This is an extension of an Act which itself was intended to extend existing laws and practices to cover digital platforms which were nascent back then. 

Everything will be similar to what is already applicable in the non-digital realm.

Another key aspect is that the EU wants to provide for situations so that new legislation is not necessary to be in place first, to be able to act as soon as complaints come in. That will make these processes far more agile if the proposals are approved and will force companies into far more stringent self regulation. 
    Did you read the same article as me? "Regulators in Europe are drawing up a "blacklist" of activities that technology companies would be required to stop". Have you seen the contents of that blacklist? What's on the list?

And never trust anyone who says that any of their views are "accepted by everyone."
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 4 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Extending new powers is what big bureaucracies do. The EU is the biggest these days.
    magman1979anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    avon b7 said:

Did you read the same article as me? "Regulators in Europe are drawing up a "blacklist" of activities that technology companies would be required to stop". Have you seen the contents of that blacklist? What's on the list?

And never trust anyone who says that any of their views are "accepted by everyone."
    Same article. I also skimmed the draft proposal at the EU a few days ago. 

That is where my comment on acting without legislation that specifically banned an activity came from. 

The idea is that companies will all be subject to the same clear guidelines and should know very well what actions will not be permitted under any circumstances. By nature these activities will fall under a broadly defined umbrella.

It is a way of making it clear to companies that common sense will keep them out of trouble for the most part. 

What I didn't see is anything remotely similar to making companies publish source code. 

The thinking behind this proposal is actually something positive and for the benefit of digital consumers. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    avon b7 said:

Same article. I also skimmed the draft proposal at the EU a few days ago. 

That is where my comment on acting without legislation that specifically banned an activity came from. 

The idea is that companies will all be subject to the same clear guidelines and should know very well what actions will not be permitted under any circumstances. By nature these activities will fall under a broadly defined umbrella.

It is a way of making it clear to companies that common sense will keep them out of trouble for the most part. 

What I didn't see is anything remotely similar to making companies publish source code. 

The thinking behind this proposal is actually something positive and for the benefit of digital consumers. 
    I'm glad you are being polite and not rude. I'll try to match your politeness.

These forums are usually filled with people posting that they don't trust their government (eg, cryptography controls.) But there's nearly complete silence on this one. I'm usually the only person on the government's side, and today it's nearly the opposite. The EU is saying:
    • "Everything we are doing is for the benefit of the digital consumer, including a new digital tax on all your digital transactions"
    • "All content must be moderated by the companies who post users' content, and everything that's not true will be removed. This is good."
    • "We are going to build a new bureaucracy for the purpose of controlling the Internet, but trust us, no bad will ever come of this"
    • "Everything we publish will be clear, and our rules will be accepted by everyone."
    • "If a company gets too big, that's evil, and we will break it up, but this is all good for consumers"
    I just have one word to defend my position: "1984."

Fidonet127entropys
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Please, stop the hyperbole. I have stated in another thread that the type of rules and oversight which are sought by the EU Commission are just plans and would need to be  approved by the Council of Europe (i.e. by the Heads of Government, who have veto power by the way). There has been some chatter recently that some member states are less than thrilled by these proposed plans, so you do the math. Also, I honestly think (personal opinion!) that most of these plans end up in the trash bin, as it might not be a good idea to go right into trade wars in these testing times.
    Having said that, it should be noted that the digital economy has so far escaped the scrutiny that the 'real' economy is subject to, and I am not against looking into ways of regulating/restraining companies that disrupt the  livelihoods and well-being of average citizens. Airbnb has savaged the housing markets in cities where there are acute shortages, and of course Zuck's Facebook., which doesn't need any explaining.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I must admit, those who are disagreeing with me are not being rude today. Nobody is making the argument very personal. That's good. I wish more discussions in the AI forums were this polite. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Those who can, innovate. Those who can’t, regulate. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think there should be a reform on taxes on a universal level. If you're making a certain amount, you should be taxed more. However, this should be balanced with some perks or something of that nature. Not a communist but maybe we can create a hybrid of capitalism / communism. I believe this is the way to go.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I think there should be a reform on taxes on a universal level. If you're making a certain amount, you should be taxed more. However, this should be balanced with some perks or something of that nature. Not a communist but maybe we can create a hybrid of capitalism / communism. I believe this is the way to go.
    I'll be gentle with you because you have only one post. You want taxes to be reformed to be different above a certain amount. The technical word for that is called a Progressive Tax. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_tax Since the US already has a progressive tax I'm inferring that you are from another country, since you are promoting the idea of a progressive tax. What country are you from? Most countries already have progressive income taxes.

• Progressive tax: a tax that goes up as income goes up (most income taxes are this type)
    • Regressive tax: a tax that goes down as income goes up (Epic wants Apple to charge regressively lower rates for big developers, like Epic)
    • Flat tax (or proportional tax): a tax rate that is the same for all people (7 States in the US have this type of income tax)

Under communism, taxes are irrelevant because the state has the right to take everything it wants, distributing back as it sees fit.

I'm curious what kinds of taxes you want. Income taxes? Sales taxes? At both state and federal levels? Should they be graduated/progressive or flat? Or do you want communism where there's no tax at all, and you can't keep anything for your own, because all property is owned by the state?

My questions are sincere. I just want to know what you want. There's no ridicule intended here.
    edited September 2020