AppleCare+ monthly payment option extended to Germany, UK

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple has expanded the monthly payment option for AppleCare+ to customers in Germany and the United Kingdom, enabling more people to sign up to the extended support service.

AppleCare+ applies to many devices in Apple's ecosystem
AppleCare+ applies to many devices in Apple's ecosystem

Monthly Apple Care payments were previously limited to Australia, Canada, Japan, and the United States, with the inclusion of Germany and the UK bringing the total number of territories with the payment option to six.

Under the change, customers buying an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch can buy AppleCare+ coverage, either by paying for the 24 months of coverage in advance, or doing so on a monthly basis. For buyers of the Apple Watch Edition and Hermes, the period is extended to 36 months.

At the end of the AppleCare coverage period, customers who paid upfront can move to the monthly plan to extend their coverage, doing so via the Settings app on their iPhone or iPad or via mysupport.apple.com. This can be accomplished within 60 days of the end of the original coverage date, though in Japan it is 30 days.

Customers electing to pay monthly won't be able to switch to an upfront plan once it has started. Coverage and payments will also continue beyond the standard coverage period, unless canceled.

Pricing for AppleCare+ varies by region and by product. While AppleCare+ can be acquired for other products such as the HomePod or Mac, monthly payment options aren't currently available outside of the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch product lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This is a really economical way to extend the life of an Apple device and I commend Apple for making it available.

But, the buyer has to pay attention because there is a limited amount of time allowed between when the original AppleCare+ plan expires and when you take out the new monthly subscription.   And, to the best of my knowledge, Apple does not warn you when your original plan expires.

But, AppleCare+, while very economical, gets increasingly valuable as the device ages and is more likely to have problems that need addressed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    How does this work if selling on a device? It strikes me as beneficial to sell an iDevice with some AppleCare left on it to reassure the buyer that it is covered if there's an issue on initial receipt, but if it's monthly then I guess you can only do it for one month so need to time it with a sale if using it for value-add?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pjapk said:
    How does this work if selling on a device? It strikes me as beneficial to sell an iDevice with some AppleCare left on it to reassure the buyer that it is covered if there's an issue on initial receipt, but if it's monthly then I guess you can only do it for one month so need to time it with a sale if using it for value-add?

AppleCare+ is tied to the device and is independent of who owns the device.
    I would want to check with Apple but I would guess that the new owner could take out his own Applecare+ subscription as long as it had not expired for more than the limit of (I forget) 30 or 60 days.