Apple's iOS 14, iPadOS 14 hits 26% adoption five days after launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's new iOS 14 update have been adopted by an estimated 26.81% of active iPhone, iPad, and iPod users just five days after it launched, according to Mixpanel data.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The adoption rate for Apple's newest operating system update appears to outpacing its iOS 13 predecessor, which reached 20% adoption in five days per Mixpanel data. Apple released iOS 14 for iPhone and iPod touch, and iPadOS 14 for iPads, on Wednesday, Sept. 16.

A variety of new iOS 14 features could be driving the quicker adoption, including the new customizable Home Screen options or the ability to set third-party email and browser apps as the system default.

It's important to note that Mixpanel's data, which also includes iPadOS 14, is an estimate based on website and app usage analytics. MacRumors first spotted the iOS 14 adoption rate on Monday.

Apple routinely releases its own iOS adoption numbers, though it typically takes at least a month before that official data is released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,084member
    Remarkable 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,910member
    red oak said:
    Remarkable 
    Yes, it’s pretty impressive. I’m still waiting for more reviews and likely the 14.1 release. Thankfully, there are a whole lot of people out there testing it for me!
    BeatsJFC_PAmuthuk_vanalingamCloudTalkinSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    MplsP said:

Yes, it’s pretty impressive. I’m still waiting for more reviews and likely the 14.1 release. Thankfully, there are a whole lot of people out there testing it for me!
    I haven't seen many bugs. Lots of cool new features and fixes though.

Occasionally messages seems to freeze while typing, but it still captures the whole sentence. Appears to be when there's a message incoming.

A friend who was playing with Widgets had her phone dump all 300+ apps out of their folders. One per home screen page… Not sure what happened there! She restored from the last backup to fix.

The battery seems to be draining a bit faster, but that's not unusual with the first release.

"Hey Siri, open AnyList and add **** to Grocery" now works again. Siri in iOS 13 insisted on opening the Lists app.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Problems with Apple Watch data not being completely synced in the iPhone health app now appearing on the Apple support forums. 
    Problems with steps, gps, vo and workouts going missing. Apple admit their engineers have acknowledged a number of related issues including high battery usage in the iPhone health app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,910member
    mknelson said:
    MplsP said:

I haven't seen many bugs. Lots of cool new features and fixes though.

Occasionally messages seems to freeze while typing, but it still captures the whole sentence. Appears to be when there's a message incoming.

A friend who was playing with Widgets had her phone dump all 300+ apps out of their folders. One per home screen page… Not sure what happened there! She restored from the last backup to fix.

The battery seems to be draining a bit faster, but that's not unusual with the first release.

"Hey Siri, open AnyList and add **** to Grocery" now works again. Siri in iOS 13 insisted on opening the Lists app.
    Good to hear - 13 was a pretty buggy release, even for a ‘.0’ version. Sounds like 14 is better
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Installed it today. I was greatly delighted by a new feature that even Apple does not talk about it. I have ten home screens. It was great pain to flip screen by screen to find an app in iOS 13. Now when you touch and hold the dots near the bottom of the screen a slider show up. I can easily slide to the desired screen. 
    BeatsJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I have no idea how Apple manages to get more users to update faster every release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    It may be related to the new iWatch 6. iWatch 6 requires iOS 14 on the device to pair.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Beats said:
    I have no idea how Apple manages to get more users to update faster every release.
    It’s got more new stuff that people want. I think the smart widgets are a big deal. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Mia_13 said:
    It may be related to the new iWatch 6. iWatch 6 requires iOS 14 on the device to pair.
    What is an “iWatch?”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MplsP said:
    red oak said:
    Remarkable 
    You'll likely wait forever for 14.1.  Beta 14.2 is out, and most likely what current devices will receive.  

Most are betting 14.1 is what's shipping on new, unannounced iPhones, and newly announced (not shipping) iPads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15

ch4d said:
    Apple admit their engineers have acknowledged a number of related issues including high battery usage in the iPhone health app. 
    Apple engineers admitted this where?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15

tzeshan said:
    Installed it today. I was greatly delighted by a new feature that even Apple does not talk about it. I have ten home screens. It was great pain to flip screen by screen to find an app in iOS 13. Now when you touch and hold the dots near the bottom of the screen a slider show up. I can easily slide to the desired screen. 
    For many versions of iOS, you slide screen to screen with the dots at the bottom - just no slider appeared.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    nicholfd said:

tzeshan said:
    For many versions of iOS, you slide screen to screen with the dots at the bottom - just no slider appeared.
    No, the UI is completely different. In the older versions you touch the dots to move to the NEXT screen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Overall, some nice improvements but the bugs that are there are showstoppers for me. There’s a severe problem in GarageBand which resets Audio Unit extensions which ruins critical song file information. This is a productivity killer.