Microsoft's refreshes Outlook for Mac with new design, improved mail view

Posted:
in Mac Software
Microsoft has announced it will be bringing out the new Outlook for Mac in October, with macOS users set to receive an updated experience and a major redesign of the communications tool.

The mail screen in Outlook for Mac now includes My Day
The mail screen in Outlook for Mac now includes My Day

In November, Microsoft teased a revamp of Outlook for Mac, but issued it only to testers of its "Fast Ring beta program." Ten months later, Microsoft is now making the updated Outlook for Mac available to regular users, after receiving customer feedback.

The new version has been made to seem as native to macOS as possible, including rounded corners in buttons, the message list, and conversation pane that are said to be influenced by macOS Big Sur. The design uses white surfaces for increased contrast on text and icons, which also involves elements of Microsoft's design language to keep it looking familiar to existing Outlook users.

Claimed to be faster and more reliable, reduced email load times and faster syncing of accounts are said to be offered in the release, complete with a seamless launch into the updated layout after clicking the "New Outlook" toggle.

The main mail screen has My Day integrated, as well as a two-week calendar alongside the inbox. The sidebar and My Day panels are modifiable to match a user's preferences, such as the My Day having selectable calendars, while a new three-day view will show impending events.

Calendar events provide extensive details, as well as ways to join virtual meetings.
Calendar events provide extensive details, as well as ways to join virtual meetings.

Support for unified inboxes means users can access all their mail accounts in one place, with it compatible with Office 365 emails, Outlook.com, and Google accounts from the start, and iCloud and iMAP support arriving soon.

A centralized and upgraded search experience uses Microsoft Search, the same one that is used for other Outlook versions and in Office 365. The search can be used to find items across multiple accounts and folders at once, with results for contacts able to bring up extra information, such as an organizational chart. Advanced search filtering can select items based on importance, keywords, and attachments.

A new People experience will separate contacts and colleagues from messages and events, creating a central collaboration area. You can add notes to contacts, start a Teams chat, or mark them as a favorite within the People view.

Support for Dark Mode and personalized swipe gestures are also included in Outlook for Mac
Support for Dark Mode and personalized swipe gestures are also included in Outlook for Mac

The calendar is now more intuitive, with the ability to set up a meeting quickly by clicking and dragging over the calendar grid to create an event. A Teams toggle simplifies setting up a virtual meeting, with Outlook also suggesting times that work best for all participants.

Options are also available to customize Outlook for Mac further, affecting the messages list, calendar, and mail pages. This ranges from drag-and-drop account and folder arrangement to setting favorite contacts, to customizing the toolbar. The latter also houses add-ins, automations for tasks, which can include third-party services such as DocuSign, Salesforce, and Zoom.

Messages list can have alterations to message density, custom rules, and swipe settings for use when swiping email to one side or another using the Magic Mouse or trackpad. This includes a new snooze feature to temporarily ignore a message that can't be read or responded to immediately, allowing it to reappear at a more convenient time as an unread email.

The updated Outlook for Mac will be arriving in October for all users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    And will it use as much CPU as the current version? I ended up using the web version only...
    lkruppwatto_cobraPhilapalooza
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    old dog old tricks- re-mix the look and the whole world spends money and time to re-learn and forget the past. 
    This is how humanity waste resources and pollute the nature.
    lkruppOfer
  • Reply 3 of 12
    reroll said:
    And will it use as much CPU as the current version? I ended up using the web version only...
    I use it on an old MBP 2015 and using the "new-look" version runs just fine.  What were you running it on that you felt it was using too much CPU?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ivanh said:
    old dog old tricks- re-mix the look and the whole world spends money and time to re-learn and forget the past. 
    Yes, the new version of Outlook is the main cause of Global warming and pollution.  Thanks for pointing that out.  /s

Have you even used the new version or are you just commenting on it with zero hand-on experience?  

I was able to flick a switch in the old Outlook to start using the new Outlook on my MBP 2015 and I haven't had to re-learn anything.  It's not rocket science.

I do wish they had redesigned the Contacts to make it look like the Windows version.  I find Contacts in Outlook for Mac unusable.  Give us the Business Cards or Cards views.  The ridiculous list that looks like it's randomly sorted is not usable.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I know iCloud wasn't supported in the prerelease versions but it seems like an error to have failed to integrate it still with release in October. I certainly like many of the features of Outlook for iOS, particularly the unified and focused inbox.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ivanh said:
    God, isn't that the truth? I remember when MS revamped the Office suite and added in the Ribbon. Deadlines were missed because I had to figure out where everything went just to pump out my documents and spreadsheets. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ITGUYINSD said:
    reroll said:
    I use it on an old MBP 2015 and using the "new-look" version runs just fine.  What were you running it on that you felt it was using too much CPU?

2019 MacBook Pro, could be because I am keeping a couple of years worth of emails for work. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The only reason I haven't been using Outlook is for its lack of support to iCloud contacts. Sure, I know there are roundabout routes, such as pushing contacts through Exchange Server or third-party apps. But I am too conservative for such tweaks. An email client that doesn't have native support for my contacts is simply out of the question. I'd be delighted if iCloud contact support was added in the update though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ivanh said:
    I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your manifesto.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ITGUYINSD said:
    reroll said:
    I run Outlook 365 on a 2013 iMac all day every day and it never gives me trouble.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Excuse me, ”iMAP”? Okay....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Time machine support?