Microsoft contributes to Java port for Apple silicon Macs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    All of JetBrains IDEs, Eclipse, SQL Developer by Oracle used for SQL development for their databases, beyond that I have noticed a number of specialized cross platform Swing based apps that might look native as an exe on windows or macos Application but it is not (including our companies UI for their large system).....  but for the bulk of users this would not be an issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Microsoft, along with a number of other major developers, are working to port Java to ARM-based Mac and Windows machines, including upcoming Apple silicon Macs.

Project collaborators Microsoft, Azul, and others, hope to have a working port of OpenJDK ready for Apple's ARM-based Macs when the machines begin to hit store shelves in 2021, reports InfoQ.

JVM performance expert Monica Beckwith is spearheading the initiative for Microsoft. A self-proclaimed "Java champion," Beckwith is an experienced Java performance engineer with a specialization in ARM architecture. She previously handled similar projects at Oracle and Sun.
    Hi all - I'm the Group Engineering Manager for Java at Microsoft. I did want to comment on the quote above about Monica. She did not 'self-proclaim' herself as a Java Champion, that's not the sort of person Monica is! That title was given to her by her peers in the Java community for services to the Java ecosystem, it's a rare honour which has only been handed out ~250 times since Sun/Oracle started the program decades ago.

We looks forward to making Java on Mac OS X Silicon a first class citizen for you all!
    edited September 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Can you imagine going back to the late 1990s and telling people that Microsoft would be helping to build a JVM for an open source project that would help Mac users?
    Haha yeah, or that an Apple designed programming language would be running on Windows machines.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Will this port of JRE be available through the App Store? And if not, will installation of this JRE through manual downloading and installation be accompanied by any warnings from Apple, perhaps like the Digital Signature from Apple being absent? And will it require admin privilege to install?
    Hopefully it will be available in Homebrew, along with ports of all the other apps available in homebrew. If the ecosystem closes up, like iOS, it is a 100% no-go for me, and many others, I guess. I'm pretty sure Apple is aware of Microsofts struggling with ARM, so they won't make it more difficult for themselves than they need, in the beginning. But who knows later, when Intel is being phased out.
  • Reply 45 of 45

True, but on the other hand, millions of developers aren’t using iPhones, iPads and the Apple Watch to run the IntelliJ toolset, Docker, Eclipse, Git clients, static website builders …
    Actually, if I could get away with just one Apple device, instead of iPad AND Mac, I'd consider it. Actually, if they're opening up for iPad/iPhone apps on the Mac that could be an option to drop the iPad (which I've already dropped, in fact, in favor of an Android device, due to cost. I use it mostly for navigation at sea), but the MacBook isn't as portable and doesn't have a touch-screen, so for some purposes it wouldn't work. But an iPad Pro, with a bash-shell and ability to run java apps with gui, like Idea/Eclipse etc., would work as an all-in-one-option. You can attach a keyboard on the iPad, but you can't detach the Mac keyboard.