iPad Pro will be Apple's first Mini LED device, Kuo says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30

foregoneconclusion said:
    ProMotion 120 Mhz display

Wow, that's about a million times faster than I even hoped.

edited September 2020 CloudTalkinbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30

foregoneconclusion said:
    ProMotion 120 Mhz display

Wow, that's about a million times faster than I even hoped.

Underated and funny.  +1  That has to be the fastest refresh rate in the history of mankind.  Makes those 240Hz gaming monitors seem glacial by comparison.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 23 of 30
    I would hope Apple will add Thunderbolt capability to the next iPad Pro.  Some software/circuitry changes?   I like the idea of supporting external monitors full screen, supporting the Magic Mouse, and hoping for useful enhancements to SIRI.  
    watto_cobrajuji yin
  • Reply 24 of 30
    OOOH AHHH UHHH WAHHH.
    The last overhyped screen tech after OLED - that didn’t get supported with always-on functions and hardly turned out to have any benefit at all. Apple always buys itself in some ultra-expensive screen dependency on 3rd parties without competitive benefits and then more or less drops it after a few years.
    Mini-LED isn’t a replacement for OLED, it’s a less expensive alternative still reliant on backlighting. 
    Mini-LED is basically the final straw for the dying LCD display technology. I'm hoping within the next few years or so, we will see a microLED iPad. 
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    An iPad Pro that could also run Mac OS would be a dream machine for developers. Just saying.
    I second this. If they can port macOS to Arm, they must be thinking about how they can virtually run MacOS on iPadOS (non-developer talking here). 

Also, WHEN will the new iPad Pros be released? The latest we’ve heard is spring 2021 but I can’t imagine Apple wants the iPad Air to sit there with the A14 and better specs than the Pro for 6 months. That’s a long time to be cannibalizing your Pro line. I still think there’s a chance we could see new Pros this year. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    ne1 said:
    An iPad Pro that could also run Mac OS would be a dream machine for developers. Just saying.
    I second this. If they can port macOS to Arm, they must be thinking about how they can virtually run MacOS on iPadOS (non-developer talking here). 

Also, WHEN will the new iPad Pros be released? The latest we’ve heard is spring 2021 but I can’t imagine Apple wants the iPad Air to sit there with the A14 and better specs than the Pro for 6 months. That’s a long time to be cannibalizing your Pro line. I still think there’s a chance we could see new Pros this year. 

I think maybe they are hoping to transition non-developer users off macOS to padOS long term.
    padOS gives a clean slate to slowly replace all the functions of a mac now they have finally unshackled it from iOS.

ne1
  • Reply 27 of 30
    flydog said:
    OOOH AHHH UHHH WAHHH.
    The last overhyped screen tech after OLED - that didn’t get supported with always-on functions and hardly turned out to have any benefit at all. Apple always buys itself in some ultra-expensive screen dependency on 3rd parties without competitive benefits and then more or less drops it after a few years.
    Apple Watch does in fact have an always-on display, though that's not the sole reason to adopt OLED, nor something most people would care about when using a MacBook or iPad.  Among other benefits, OLED displays produce deeper blacks and consume less energy. 

Maybe you should spend a bit of time researching before saying dumb things. 

So again - where’s the always-on or battery improvement on iPhone X that was the first to have OLED ?
    Was it worth all the fanfare ?
    Before you blatter about situations that you don’t have a minimalist understanding about yourself, answer the strategic questions on souvereign screen production at Apple
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 28 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I seem to recall AI doing a comparison of battery life for an OLED model with regular vs dark mode and there was some improvement. I haven’t seen a direct comparison with LCD and suspect it would be difficult to accurately compare the two because of other differences in the phones. 

OLED definitely has a better contrast ratio, mainly due to deeper blacks, but back when the Xr came out, I compared it side by side with the Xs, and for routine use, the majority of people would be hard pressed to notice a difference. For some people it makes a difference. For many others, the spec makes a difference, even if they don’t notice if, and for the rest (I.e. the majority of consumers,) LCD looks just fine. 

I ran into a similar phenomenon when buying. New TV a few years back. I researched, looked at reviews, ratings and specs, then went to Best Buy and compared models. Then I realized that for the viewing I and my family do, it wouldn’t matter. Sure, I could see the difference when they were side by side in the store, but once we had it at home in our family room we wouldn’t notice the difference so I saved myself $600 and went with a cheaper model. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    MplsP said:
    I seem to recall AI doing a comparison of battery life for an OLED model with regular vs dark mode and there was some improvement. I haven’t seen a direct comparison with LCD and suspect it would be difficult to accurately compare the two because of other differences in the phones. 

OLED definitely has a better contrast ratio, mainly due to deeper blacks, but back when the Xr came out, I compared it side by side with the Xs, and for routine use, the majority of people would be hard pressed to notice a difference. For some people it makes a difference. For many others, the spec makes a difference, even if they don’t notice if, and for the rest (I.e. the majority of consumers,) LCD looks just fine. 

I ran into a similar phenomenon when buying. New TV a few years back. I researched, looked at reviews, ratings and specs, then went to Best Buy and compared models. Then I realized that for the viewing I and my family do, it wouldn’t matter. Sure, I could see the difference when they were side by side in the store, but once we had it at home in our family room we wouldn’t notice the difference so I saved myself $600 and went with a cheaper model. 
    Yup, I was rather nonplussed with the OLEDs in iPhone X style models when comparing them to my 6S Plus while at the Apple Store, and, I think I could tell that the OLEDs had lower subpixel density to boot. Also didn't like that the color temperature on the OLEDs seemed too daylight or bluer.

However, I expect the OLEDs to look a lot better in dark rooms compared to bright Apple Stores. So, watching video on an OLED or miniLED in bed is going to be a pretty good experience while it will be a wash compared to LCDs in bright environments.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    OOOH AHHH UHHH WAHHH.
    Mini-LED isn’t a replacement for OLED, it’s a less expensive alternative still reliant on backlighting. 
    It would be more accurate to say that mini-LED is the backlight for the LCD panels that we are talking about here. Or that mini-LED is still reliant on LCD.

Also, I don't know how much less expensive mini-LED based LCD panels are than OLED for a laptop or iPad size screen, but it should be possible to get higher brightness than OLED and black levels very close to OLED, so even if they are not less expensive, it would still be worth doing. (And if they are less expensive, so much the better). I think we can expect a better price/performance ratio with the mini-LED approach...

...at least for the time being, until micro-LED takes over.
    edited September 2020