'iPhone 12' starts at 64GB storage, ships to sellers on October 5 says leaker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Contrary to previous reports, a new leak claims that the two lower-end "iPhone 12" models will come with the option for 64GB, instead of beginning at 128GB.

Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.
Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.

As expectation increases that Apple will unveil its new "iPhone 12" range on October 13, a new leak says that the company will be shipping phones to vendors from next week. The same leak also claims to confirm the capacities of the two lower-end models, the "iPhone 12 mini," and the "iPhone 12."

Apple's first shipment of final iPhone 12 units is going out to distributers on October 5th

The shipment includes:

iPhone 12 mini 5.4
(Definitely the final marketing name)
-64/128/256

iPhone 12 6.1
-64/128/256

Event on October 13, as I mentioned before.

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

Regular leaker Jon Prosser goes on to say that both the "iPhone 12 Pro" and the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" will start at 128GB.

As well as expectation that Apple's announcement of the "iPhone 12" will be on October 13, it's also being rumored that pre-orders will begin shortly afterwards on October 16. The new name "iPhone 12 mini," is also being repeatedly reported in different leaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Thats a bit of a bummer. Of course all of this is still just rumors. But some earlier rumors were suggesting it would start at 128 with a price of $650 (for the mini) which seemed like a dream come true (maybe too good to be true). Recently I think I saw a rumor of a $700 starting price and now this suggesting that could be for 64gb storage. Oh well, I guess we'll see soon enough. My 7 is barely hanging on these days and I'm really looking forward to that Mini. I was just hoping to get it for the best price possible.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    256GB is my sweet spot.   It’s just over double what I need, with room to grow.   Music, pictures, video, apps.   I’m good.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Still can’t figure out how it is Apple can order such a high volume of memory chips for its devices, but they never seem to get a price break that can be passed along to consumers.
    caladanianOfer
  • Reply 4 of 13
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Still can’t figure out how it is Apple can order such a high volume of memory chips for its devices, but they never seem to get a price break that can be passed along to consumers.
    Agreed. It’s a ridiculous ripoff how much of a premium Apple charges for memory and storage. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Ofer said:
    Agreed. It’s a ridiculous ripoff how much of a premium Apple charges for memory and storage. 
    It would be great if pricing were fair and transparent, but reality.  I'm sure the raw steel used by Ferrari is not actually 10x more expensive than the steel used by Ford, but brand.
    Oferwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Have they sent out the phones that far ahead of the launch before? My memory was that in the past, they didn't ship the phones to vendors until the week of release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    if it's too good to be true then Apple is going to charge extra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Sad that iPhone 12 5.4” Mini now is going be crippled with slower clock speed, no face ID, low quality OLED only 4GB RAM and 64GB storage!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    We're living in a golden age of cheap electronics. The markup isn't that high relative to other types of consumer products or relative to earlier eras of computing.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    That is where all the profit is made in RAM and storage for Apple!  The markup is astronomical as you can image!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    We're living in a golden age of cheap electronics. The markup isn't that high relative to other types of consumer products or relative to earlier eras of computing.
    I’ve been an Apple customer for more than 30 years. They have always charged a premium for their RAM and storage.
    Ofer
  • Reply 12 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Alger said:
    Ofer said:
    It would be great if pricing were fair and transparent, but reality.  I'm sure the raw steel used by Ferrari is not actually 10x more expensive than the steel used by Ford, but brand.
    This is the thought process of the entitled millennial who has heard a ridiculous political catchphrase and is trying to somehow make it fit Apples manufacturing and pricing.

People vote on the fairness with their wallet.  If you think the price is unfair, buy some other product like a dirt-cheap Android.  As far as transparency goes, why would Apple want to do that?  So that their competitors know even more specifics about Apples manufacturing and pricing structures?

I’m just glad that there is a company like Apple out there that gives my premium options on hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    A company's costs are among some of its most closely guarded secrets. No need to help its competitors.