Apple TV app beta available to some Microsoft Xbox software pre-release testers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple is reportedly working with Microsoft on a controller-friendly version of the Apple TV app for Xbox consoles, but a launch date isn't clear.

Apple TV coming to Xbox
Apple TV coming to Xbox

Microsoft offers an early preview of its Xbox system software to select users, and an Apple TV app has been discovered within the preview. The app appears to be identical in form and function to its set-top box and smart TV counterparts.

Once available, users will be able to download the app, sign-in with an Apple ID, and use their existing Apple TV+ subscription and iTunes content. Apple has debuted the app on smart TVs and Roku devices, but this would be the first appearance on a console.

There is no information about the app's launch window or availability, though Windows Central is citing sources saying that it could launch alongside the upcoming Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on November 10. Users with access to the Apple TV app report that it appears to be a finished product, thus signaling release may be soon.

On other fronts, Apple and Xbox have been at odds over Xbox Game Pass. The game streaming service was blocked from the iOS platforms due to Apple's allowable content policies.

A recent revision to the App Store rules will allow services like the Xbox Game Pass to work on iOS, but with some restrictions. Rather than download a single app to stream all games, each game on the service needs its own shell app on the App Store, which would then launch into the streaming service to play.

Apple is set to release an updated "Apple TV 6" sometime this fall, and some speculation says it will be more competitive with the console market. Though, the presence of an Apple TV app on game consoles will likely reduce the need for a separate Apple TV set-top box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Thats cool that Apple is releasing TV+ for the Xbox. Would really love to see AirPlay, but that is probably asking too much.

I hope we also see an Xbox streaming app for the Apple TV. I've wanted a way to stream the Xbox to other TVs at home. There are a lot of Apple users with Xbox's so it would be great to see things integrate well in both directions.
    edited September 2020 gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 5
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Damn. I misread the headline to mean Xbox software developers were testing game streaming on a beta version Apple TV App.

I think adding game streaming and services to the TV App may be cool and uniting if Apple can figure it out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Sheesh. About time. 

Should be on ps5, Xbox one series x (dang that is a long, stupid name), and the next Nintendo console. 

No reason not to. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am happy that Apple and Microsoft seem to cooperate so much these days.  I hark back to the bad old days so remember when this was not the case. I even own MSFT these days!
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gc_ukgc_uk Posts: 110member
    Have Microsoft asked Apple to submit an app for each show being streamed on the service?