Apple now considers final iPod nano model 'vintage'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
Apple on Thursday added the seventh-generation iPod nano to its list of Vintage and Obsolete products, officially limiting active support for the venerable pint-sized music player.

iPod nano

Introduced on Sept. 7, 2005, the iPod nano was touted as the smallest iPod with a screen. Over the course of its nearly 12-year run, the stalwart music player took on a variety of shapes, sizes and formats.

The first generation was a tall, slim take on the traditional iPod design language. Featuring a Click Wheel and a 1.5-inch color screen, the device could be had in 2GB and 4GB configurations priced between the iPod Shuffle and iPod Classic.

Over the years, the nano went from tall and slender to short and squat, back to tall, down to an all-screen square shape, and finally something resembling a miniature iPhone with a home button. Each successive generation included a color screen, on-device controls (on-screen controls in later models), and a bevy of colorways. Apple also used the platform to experiment with new technologies like onboard cameras, unique chassis materials and custom finishes.

The final seventh-generation nano debuted in 2012 with a 2.5-inch, vertically oriented screen and home button. Apple later issued a minor refresh for the device in July 2015 by adding three new color options.

After years of service, and iPod touch taking over a lion's share of iPod sales, Apple axed the nano line in 2017.

Today's addition to the "vintage" list means seventh-generation iPod nano devices are eligible for repairs and service at Genius Bars and Apple Authorized Service Providers, but only when required parts are available. In two years the last nano is expected to become "obsolete" and will no longer be eligible for repair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    These were great.  I have it in green.  And one of the best features is non digital -  an FM radio tuner !   Although maybe HD radio these days might be digital? Would be great to see an FM tuner app and ability in future iPhones?  How many could be sitting around in bedroom dresser drawers?  
    edited October 2020 OutdoorAppDeveloperrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    It would be so easy for Apple to include a full set of radio features to the iPhone complete with SDK ... but how would they charge radio stations a fee for you to listen to their music and ads?
    razorpitmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Seeing as they sold this until only 3 or so years ago this is really crappy on Apple’s part. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    It would be so easy for Apple to include a full set of radio features to the iPhone complete with SDK ... but how would they charge radio stations a fee for you to listen to their music and ads?
    It may not be technically feasible to provide decent, clear FM in a phone that doesn't offer ONLY a 3.5mm jack for earphones, as the wire for the earphones is often used as the FM antenna. These iPods required ONLY wired earphones, so the FM antenna was always present. I'm not saying it's not possible, but that the audio quality would suffer without wired earphones.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    GG1 said:
    It may not be technically feasible to provide decent, clear FM in a phone that doesn't offer ONLY a 3.5mm jack for earphones, as the wire for the earphones is often used as the FM antenna. These iPods required ONLY wired earphones, so the FM antenna was always present. I'm not saying it's not possible, but that the audio quality would suffer without wired earphones.
    Good point. I would love to have an FM tuner, but I'm not giving up my AirPod Pros to have one.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Holy Moly. With so many ways to listen to your music on a device these days, Streaming, Sirius/XM App, personal library etc., you really want to inflict lousy FM sound quality, reception issues and commercials on yourself???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    mike1 said:

Holy Moly. With so many ways to listen to your music on a device these days, Streaming, Sirius/XM App, personal library etc., you really want to inflict lousy FM sound quality, reception issues and commercials on yourself???
    Disagree,  FM is not lousy quality.  In addition FM = Free Music (not just frequency modulation). For somebody that likes to travel like myself,  it is cool to have an FM tuner with you so you can listen to music and news around the world.  Those are the advantages.

edited October 2020 dewme
  • Reply 8 of 12
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    GG1 said:
    Sorry, but this isn’t true. The 7th gen Nano had Bluetooth and supported bluetooth headphones.

However, most notably, the iPod nano 7th Gen adds H.264 video playback support (720x576) and Bluetooth 4.0 for use with Bluetooth-enabled headphones, speakers, and compatible car stereos.”

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/ipod-faq/differences-between-7th-gen-ipod-nano-6th-gen-ipod-nano.html
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 12
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    M68000 said:
    mike1 said:

Disagree,  FM is not lousy quality.  In addition FM = Free Music (not just frequency modulation). For somebody that likes to travel like myself,  it is cool to have an FM tuner with you so you can listen to music and news around the world.  Those are the advantages.

HD Radio over FM may not be lousy quality but regular FM is certainly lousy quality. You can easily see the difference when you’re in a car and as you’re driving the FM signal gets weak and falls back to standard FM.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    payeco said:
    GG1 said:
    Sorry, but this isn’t true. The 7th gen Nano had Bluetooth and supported bluetooth headphones.

However, most notably, the iPod nano 7th Gen adds H.264 video playback support (720x576) and Bluetooth 4.0 for use with Bluetooth-enabled headphones, speakers, and compatible car stereos.”

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/ipod-faq/differences-between-7th-gen-ipod-nano-6th-gen-ipod-nano.html
    I stand corrected. But now that you got my interest, I found a teardown of this iPod, and there was no mention of the FM antenna found, even though there was a Broadcom chip for Bluetooth+FM. The full aluminum body also isn't good for an internal FM antenna (if Apple were hiding it in the printed circuit board).

But can you actually use Bluetooth headphones while listening to FM? The link you gave didn't explicitly say so, but I found that they both work simultaneously only if you have something plugged into the audio jack (wired earphones or AUX cable) in order to complete the FM antenna. Without something plugged in, the FM won't work. That makes sense based on the teardown, but it is a bit cumbersome when trying to go wireless.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I've wanted an update for almost a decade. I got bored and mocked up a concept on paper. it was a 3"x3" all screen FaceID model with bezels like iPad Pro. Wish they'd release it with an iOS Mini to support a knew dimension of apps.

GG1 said:
    payeco said:
    GG1 said:

“However, most notably, the iPod nano 7th Gen adds H.264 video playback support (720x576) and Bluetooth 4.0 for use with Bluetooth-enabled headphones, speakers, and compatible car stereos.”

I stand corrected. But now that you got my interest, I found a teardown of this iPod, and there was no mention of the FM antenna found, even though there was a Broadcom chip for Bluetooth+FM. The full aluminum body also isn't good for an internal FM antenna (if Apple were hiding it in the printed circuit board).

But can you actually use Bluetooth headphones while listening to FM? The link you gave didn't explicitly say so, but I found that they both work simultaneously only if you have something plugged into the audio jack (wired earphones or AUX cable) in order to complete the FM antenna. Without something plugged in, the FM won't work. That makes sense based on the teardown, but it is a bit cumbersome when trying to go wireless.

I have one of these. The antennae IS the wired headphones so no, you CANNOT use FM with Bluetooth. Apple would have to invent a new FM antennae.

With that said, don't you guys know Apples philosophy of moving away from analog and mechanics? Adding FM to them would be like adding a headphone jack or hardware keyboard to the iPhone.
    edited October 2020 GG1
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Beats said:
    I've wanted an update for almost a decade. I got bored and mocked up a concept on paper. it was a 3"x3" all screen FaceID model with bezels like iPad Pro. Wish they'd release it with an iOS Mini to support a knew dimension of apps.

GG1 said:
    payeco said:
    GG1 said:

“However, most notably, the iPod nano 7th Gen adds H.264 video playback support (720x576) and Bluetooth 4.0 for use with Bluetooth-enabled headphones, speakers, and compatible car stereos.”

I have one of these. The antennae IS the wired headphones so no, you CANNOT use FM with Bluetooth. Apple would have to invent a new FM antennae.

With that said, don't you guys know Apples philosophy of moving away from analog and mechanics? Adding FM to them would be like adding a headphone jack or hardware keyboard to the iPhone.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

For FM frequencies, which are much lower than cellular/Bluetooth/WiFi/UWB, a physically larger antenna is needed to pick up the FM signal reliably (wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency). If the iPod body were plastic, maybe an internal antenna could be used, but the long wire of corded headphones is fairly good at FM. Compare the iPod body length to the corded headphones length, and you see the problem.
    watto_cobra