Apple releases macOS Mojave Supplemental Update, Safari 14 with bug fixes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple on Friday released a macOS Mojave Supplemental Update with fixes for bugs introduced by a prior security update, as well as a re-release of Safari 14 for the operating system.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Earlier in the week, Apple pulled the buggy macOS Mojave Security Update 2020-005 and Safari 14 for macOS Mojave after they were discovered to have caused problems for users who downloaded them. Issues included system sluggishness, slow boot times, high fan speeds, and memory problems.

The macOS Mojave 10.14.6 update released Friday should fix those issues for users who installed the Security Update 2020-005. Apple also re-released the Safari 14.0 update to macOS Mojave users, also presumably with bug fixes related to issues reported on the last release.

As Apple notes, it also introduces the security features that the buggy prior did.

The macOS Mojave Supplemental Update is available to download from the System Preferences menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    OferOfer Posts: 237unconfirmed, member
    My old iMac has Catalina installed on it with the new buggy safari. Will they be releasing a fix for this as well?
    lkruppcaladanianHank2.0
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    The macOS Mojave 10.16.6 update released Friday

10.16 is what Big Sur would have been if it hadn't been turned up to 11.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bonobob said:

And they hadn’t changed the UI
    And they hadn’t recompiled it for the new chipset
    And they hadn’t added support for iOS apps on the new chipset. 

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    i had my fair share of issues with .0 versions, so i skipped the Safari 14 individual update on my Mojave systems (until a later version)..

..then Apple issues a Mojave Security Update with the extraordinarily uncommon ability to totally unbalance a perfectly stable system - some viruses couldnt cause as much trouble. finally Apple issues a fix for their own update now coupled with Safari 14 - if we want to fix their system-wrecking update we are forced to install Safari 14. There may be ways around this but as far as the System Update is concerned suddenly Safari 14 became mandatory.

i wonder how long it will take for Apple System Updates to go the Windows 10 way.. Next generations will likely think it is normal to buy something and having whomever decide what we can do or not with it and how to use it - [“Kindly let me help you or you will drown,” - said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree.] - Please stop forcibly-protecting me Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    bonobob said:

And they hadn’t changed the UI
    And they hadn’t recompiled it for the new chipset
    And they hadn’t added support for iOS apps on the new chipset. 

Yosemite got an entire new UI and it was still 10.10.  Big Sur is 10.16 because it is just eye-candy.  The OS is still the same UNIX-based kernel.  OS X also ran on two chipsets...PowerPC and Intel, from the very beginning.  iOS apps on the Mac are pretty much a disaster if you read any reviews.
    elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The new patches still do not work.  The problem with Safari 14 on Mojave is that you cannot attach any files to upload to a website.  Clicking on 'Choose File' on any website does nothing.  The Finder window to select a file never appears.  Works fine with FireFox and Chrome, but not Safari 14.  Only way to resolve it is to re-install Mojave over itself and that will revert back to Safari 12.  Then do not install the security updates or supplemental update that forces you to install Safari 14.  
  • Reply 7 of 7
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    The new patches still do not work.  The problem with Safari 14 on Mojave is that you cannot attach any files to upload to a website.  Clicking on 'Choose File' on any website does nothing.  The Finder window to select a file never appears.  Works fine with FireFox and Chrome, but not Safari 14.  Only way to resolve it is to re-install Mojave over itself and that will revert back to Safari 12.  Then do not install the security updates or supplemental update that forces you to install Safari 14.  
    You might be able to drag the file onto the choose file button instead.