Power button Touch ID on the iPad Air 4 was an 'incredible feat'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    Stretches credibility since it’s not like Apple is the first to have this capability
    Nor was TouchID first. But it did work better, and that’s what matters most...not “first!” bragging rights. 
    razorpittmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,941member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Love all the armchair engineers claiming it was a simple task and all the iKnockoff morons thinking Android has TouchID. The internet gets dumber daily.
    You don't even have to be an armchair engineer to comprehend that the same functionality has been around for sometime now and working perfectly. Even as an off the shelf solution (which could be what Apple's is based off anyway). A teardown might shed some light on that. 

What are those people missing in their observations? 
    That it isn't the same.

Functionality is not the same as capability, so I would ask, is Apple's TouchID more capable, more secure?

Likely, as Apple has very high standards, this TouchID is better than the competition.

Someone's "good enough" is not the same as perfect.
    Believe me. If it's deemed secure enough for biometric authentication for high sensitivity data (like payment transactions), you don't need 'feats' to make it better. It will get better as the industry moves forward. 

Here's a very good podcast  on the iPad that discusses the new TouchID starting at 7:22;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8ez2i4Uf0&feature=emb_logo

Evolutionary, different form factor, but still non trivial, especially incorporating it with the cellular antenna subsystem. It's an innovation, despite what you think.

BTW, when you preference your posts with "believe me", which you've also done in the past, it's a tell that you aren't being completely honest.

Apple quotes a 1:50,000 chance of a non valid fingerprint unlocking the iPhone (original Touch ID sensor) and a 1:1,000,000 chance for a non valid face to unlock an iPhone with Face ID

Those aren't non zero chances of security failure, and I'd venture that the competition isn't all that much better. Yeah, improvements to security are warranted, and likely implemented in the newest Touch ID sensor.
    I will say it again. 

Believe me, this technology is now field tested. 1:50,000 has proved to be more than enough. If it wasn't, if it had failed that field test, that form of validation would have been withdrawn. 

One of the known problems with FaceID in spite of the numbers, is that for some people the security is actually less and as a result, it is advised that they don't even use it. 

Nowadays, AI is being implemented to further enhance security. Along with other elements that have nothing to do with the technology behind the sensor. 

More and more, security is being tied to multiple fronts and not dependent on one technology but a collection of measures. 
  • Reply 43 of 45
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Love all the armchair engineers claiming it was a simple task and all the iKnockoff morons thinking Android has TouchID. The internet gets dumber daily.
    You don't even have to be an armchair engineer to comprehend that the same functionality has been around for sometime now and working perfectly. Even as an off the shelf solution (which could be what Apple's is based off anyway). A teardown might shed some light on that. 

WTF?! TouchID is not an off-the-shelf part. I thought everyone knew this. If it was all the knockoffs would have TouchID.
    edited October 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,941member
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

WTF?! TouchID is not an off-the-shelf part. I thought everyone knew this. If it was all the knockoffs would have TouchID.
    TouchID is a branding name. 

This new version of TouchID is using a different hardware setup to current TouchID implementations. No one knows exactly what it is yet. 

That's why I said 'could' and mentioned a teardown.

Seeing as you quoted me, you should have known that. 

As for off-the-shelf components in general, I hope you're aware that iPhones are full of them as well as off-the-shelf components which have been tweaked by the manufacturer to bring them in line with Apple's requirements. 

The same applies to all the big handset manufacturers. 
  • Reply 45 of 45
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,452member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

TouchID is a branding name. 

This new version of TouchID is using a different hardware setup to current TouchID implementations. No one knows exactly what it is yet. 

That's why I said 'could' and mentioned a teardown.

Seeing as you quoted me, you should have known that. 

As for off-the-shelf components in general, I hope you're aware that iPhones are full of them as well as off-the-shelf components which have been tweaked by the manufacturer to bring them in line with Apple's requirements. 

The same applies to all the big handset manufacturers. 
    You spend so much of your time as a "armchair engineer", that you forget that many here are real engineers, as myself. 

I restate. Apple almost certainly did make a more secure Touch ID sensor, while at the same time changing the physical configuration, and the BOM of the assembly. I would argue that Apple also improved water resistance, shock and abrasion resistance, and improved the manufacturability, while at the same time, maintaining the same costing as the previous TouchID sensor. Why would any engineering team go to all of the trouble to create this new TouchID sensor, that will likely be used a range of future Apple iPads, and possibly even iPhones, without incorporating substantial improvements along the way?

Along with that, Apple has been steadily increasing the level of ML support that FaceID and TouchID have available, as noted with the huge increase in silicon devoted to ML in the A14. 

Your premise, is that Apple used a third party to design and develop this new TouchID, which is certainly false, as Apple has that expertise in house, and that even if Apple did do all of those engineering changes and improvements, it doesn't matter because the the competition's sensors are "perfect". In the engineering world, I doubt that there is ever a "perfect" as there are too many variables and constraints that must be achieved on a schedule, price point, and with available resources and manufacturing capability.

You would be best just to acknowledge that Apple did move the ball forward, and leave it at that.

You won't, of course.
    watto_cobrafastasleep