Apple customers have the most emotional connection to the brand versus others, study shows...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple has ranked first in a listing of the most intimate brands during the coronavirus pandemic, based on emotional factors such as fulfillment and ritual.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

That's according to the MBLM "Brand Intimacy COVID Study," which surveyed a series of brands and the emotional connections consumers had with them during the global health crisis. Apple also ranked highly in a broader 2020 brand intimacy study released by MBLM in May.

In addition to Apple, Amazon and Google took second and third place, respectively. Apple ranked as the top pick among women and millennials, while Amazon ranked as the top pick among men. Rounding out the top five were Walmart and Google subsidiary YouTube. Here's a full list of the ranking:

• First: Apple

• Second: Amazon

• Third: Google

• Fourth: Walmart

• Fifth: YouTube

• Sixth: Toyota

• Seventh: Disney

• Eighth: Netflix

• Ninth: Chevrolet

• Tenth: PlayStation

Of those, Walmart, YouTube, Disney, Netflix, Chevrolet, and PlayStation remained in the top 10 from previous rankings. Google, YouTube, and Toyota were new entrants during the coronavirus pandemic.

"There has also been a shift in focus with more media & entertainment brands in the top 10 and fewer automotive brands, suggesting consumers turned to the enjoyment provided by media & entertainment brands, and became less reliant on their cars," MBLM wrote of the new findings.

Other findings include a 23% increase in the number of brands users connect with; Zoom becoming the top brand that consumers used during the pandemic, followed by Purell and Netflix; and brands that are a part of the smartphone ecosystem increasing in strength.

MBLM carries out its studies by examining a consumer's emotional connection to a brand, including bonds like fulfillment, nostalgia, ritual, and identity. According to the firm, brands that rank highly in intimacy outperformed leading companies in the Fortune 500 and S&P 500 indices across revenue growth, profit growth, and stock price in the first quarter of 2020.

The Brand Intimacy COVID Study was carried out over late summer 2020 and surveyed 3,000 consumers across the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's notable that, for the most part, those organizations gained their loyalty less through glitzy, fancy features and more through ongoing dependability and reliability.

Two analogies come to mind:
    In its heyday it was said:   "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".   That's because their products didn't break and, if they did, an IBM technician was right there to make it unbroken.  It wasn't only about having a great product up front but how it was supported to make it reliable - something you could rely on, hang your job on.

And, while taking dog training lessons at a local animal shelter they told us:
    "The alpha dog is not always the biggest or the toughest.   It's the one that makes the rest of the pack for secure and comfortable."

These companies, and particularly Apple, fit both analogies.
    rotateleftbytemuthuk_vanalingamfotoformatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Judging by the folk round here, I’d say Android users have the greatest emotional connection to Apple. 
    randominternetpersonjedwards87kiltedgreenretrogustolkrupptmaypscooter63ForumPostfotoformath4y3s
  • Reply 3 of 24
    ROFL.
    Of that top 10 Apple is the only one that I do business with (if at all). I refuse to use Google, Avoid Amazon and Walmart (ASDA here but not for much longer). I only visit YouTube 3 or 4 times a year. The rest are a no-no.

kiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Apple has ranked first in a listing of the most intimate brands during the coronavirus pandemic, based on emotional factors such as fulfillment and ritual.

Maybe we can share the rituals we each individually perform to demonstrate intimacy with our Apple products.  I'll start...  oh, never mind.  Not safe for work.
    pscooter63prismaticswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    Judging by the folk round here, I’d say Android users have the greatest emotional connection to Apple. 
    LOL. You got that 100% correct. Actually visit any Android community/forum and regardless of topic Apple is always mentioned. They love Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I can definitely say that Android trolls and iHaters have more of a connection with Apple, than Apple users do.  It's downright embarrassing actually.  It's almost like they're closet Apple fans but too embarrassed to admit it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    You can’t beat a good ritual ... but Apple products have never featured in any of mine. That would be very weird.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Rayz2016 said:
    LOL. You got that 100% correct. Actually visit any Android community/forum and regardless of topic Apple is always mentioned. They love Apple.
    They do. The better Android forums rarely post articles intended to be critical of Apple and there's a significant number of forum members in those communities with both Apple and Android devices who can speak with authority on the comparisons between the two. FUD rarely gets passed around without challenge. 

In general I'd personally say major Android sites appear more tolerant of iOS users than certain iOS fansites are of Android users, of course with some exceptions (MacRumors perhaps), at least based on the ones I regularly visit. 

As for regular mentions it's kinda rare here for articles opining on Apple not to somehow drag Google or Android into the discussion too, either within the article itself (DED for example always does so) or in comments from Apple fans, but in the past couple of months I think it's mellowed out some.

To me some of the worst squabbling occurs on general tech sites when they report on Apple and Google and Microsoft and.... 
    Ars and The Verge seem to bring out the worst of the worst from both sides.
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamfotoformat
  • Reply 9 of 24
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

"The alpha dog is not always the biggest or the toughest.   It's the one that makes the rest of the pack for secure and comfortable."

Google and Amazon make you feel secure and comfortable?  :D 
    retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    flydog said:

Google and Amazon make you feel secure and comfortable?  :D 

From a privacy standpoint -- hell no!
    And, although I've been using Amazon during the lock down, I generally do what I can to avoid both of them.

But, regardless, both perform their stated jobs well and millions and millions depend on them, rely on them and trust them  -- and are seldom, if ever, disappointed.  That's what makes them Alpha Dogs in the dog eat dog corporate world.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    It's notable that, for the most part, those organizations gained their loyalty less through glitzy, fancy features and more through ongoing dependability and reliability.

In its heyday it was said:   "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".   That's because their products didn't break and, if they did, an IBM technician was right there to make it unbroken.  It wasn't only about having a great product up front but how it was supported to make it reliable - something you could rely on, hang your job on.

The IBM analogy may hold for IT folks and AppleInsider readers, but Apple does much more to connect with a much broader and diverse range of customers than IBM ever did. Just look at the comments when a story is posted on AI regarding something that isn’t specifically targeted at techy geek Apple fans, say the current story about supermodels or past ones about Lady Gaga. We aren’t Apple’s only customers and they know it. They also know that we are sometimes the ones who influence purchase decisions for our friends and family so they need to maintain credibility with us as well. It  sounds like they are doing a pretty good job of keeping a wide range of customers engaged and connected, which is outstanding for their future prospects. .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dewme said:

The IBM analogy may hold for IT folks and AppleInsider readers, but Apple does much more to connect with a much broader and diverse range of customers than IBM ever did. Just look at the comments when a story is posted on AI regarding something that isn’t specifically targeted at techy geek Apple fans, say the current story about supermodels or past ones about Lady Gaga. We aren’t Apple’s only customers and they know it. They also know that we are sometimes the ones who influence purchase decisions for our friends and family so they need to maintain credibility with us as well. It  sounds like they are doing a pretty good job of keeping a wide range of customers engaged and connected, which is outstanding for their future prospects. .

Very true!
    But my point was not to compare the two but to point out that that kind of loyalty doesn't come from flash and glitzy features or even from having the biggest & fastest.   It almost always stems from grinding it out to be a reliable business partner (whether your are selling to a Fortune 500 company or a grandma).   But can your customer feel comfortable that they can depend on you and your product?  In the case of both Apple and IBM the answer is a definite "YES!".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    How can anyone have an emotional attachment to Walmart? God, the world's definitely coming to an end. 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    netrox said:
    How can anyone have an emotional attachment to Walmart? God, the world's definitely coming to an end. 
    Yeah, that one and Chevrolet surprised me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    You can take my Apple products...from my cold, dead hand!!!
    I’m also surprised to see Google ranked so high. I certainly don’t have an emotional attachment to my copy of the yellow pages. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I understand an emotional connection to Apple. Some of us have used their product for decades, watched dozens of keynotes throughout the years, witnessed them revolutionize multiple industries, the saga of SJ, have taken joy and delight in so many of their products, etc. They have an insanely rich history and legacy, from so many angles, and top of class in almost every category, from design, to technology, to software. 

But how the fuck can someone have an emotional connection to companies like Amazon, Walmart, and Google? Sorry, can't understand that one. 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    slurpy said:
    I understand an emotional connection to Apple. Some of us have used their product for decades, watched dozens of keynotes throughout the years, witnessed them revolutionize multiple industries, the saga of SJ, have taken joy and delight in so many of their products, etc. They have an insanely rich history and legacy, from so many angles, and top of class in almost every category, from design, to technology, to software. 

But how the fuck can someone have an emotional connection to companies like Amazon, Walmart, and Google? Sorry, can't understand that one. 

As I said above:

"But my point was not to compare the two but to point out that that kind of loyalty doesn't come from flash and glitzy features or even from having the biggest & fastest.   It almost always stems from grinding it out to be a reliable business partner (whether your are selling to a Fortune 500 company or a grandma).   But can your customer feel comfortable that they can depend on you and your product?  In the case of both Apple and IBM the answer is a definite "YES!"."

Amazon, Walmart & Google developed business models where people learned that they could rely on them and depend on their products.   Trust.   Trust is important.   And it's a thing that many rising (mostly tech) companies talk about but never develop.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:

As for regular mentions it's kinda rare here for articles opining on Apple not to somehow drag Google or Android into the discussion too, 
    Yeah, but it's you who brings up Google when trying to stick in a point that Google did it first.

edited October 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    Google is on here because of Google Classroom for all the kids schooling at home. There has also been an increase in their other apps - Meet, Duo, Chat - but it is mostly Google Classroom.

Also, since Google owns YouTube, what does merging #3 and #5 get you? 

Finally, where is Facebook/Instagram?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

As for regular mentions it's kinda rare here for articles opining on Apple not to somehow drag Google or Android into the discussion too, 
    Yeah, but it's you who brings up Google when trying to stick in a point that Google did it first.

No, he is ALWAYS responding to misinformation, FUD and outright falsehoods brought up by others. Of the Android devotees on this site, Gatorguy - a very long timer - NEVER trolls or thread-jacks. He doesn't even respond to the vast majority of the anti-Android nonsense! So you owe him an apology for that false accusation. 
    muthuk_vanalingam