Face ID in 'iPhone 12' may gain speed alongside camera enhancements

Posted:
in iPhone
The "iPhone 12" could include a faster Face ID authentication than currently offered, a leaker claims, as well as an enhanced version of digital zoom that is assisted by advancements in computational photography.

Face ID

In the days before Apple is anticipated to launch a new collection of iPhones, more leaks about what to expect are surfacing by various sources. One such leak from a well-established leaker centers around the photographic capabilities of the inbound models.

According to a series of tweets from "@Pineeaks," a Twitter account operated by Max Winebach, Apple is still planning to ship a "dynamic zoning algorithm" for the TrueDepth camera array. The algorithm would enable the Face ID biometric authentication system to acquire a user's face at a faster rate, which will shave off fractions of a second from the entire Face ID unlocking process.

The tweet list, spotted by MacRumors also claims Apple won't be updating the design of the TrueDepth array at all for most of the models, with the exception of the "iPhone 12 mini." For that model, Winebach claims the notch will be narrower but taller to accommodate the smaller display.

https://t.co/EPj76hm9wZ
The "dynamic zoning algorithm" is shipping. The redesigned TrueDepth Camera System though, is not. Instead, a more "tightly" arranged TrueDepth will be shipped with the 5.4" iPhone. The notch shrinks horizontally, but increases slightly vertically.

-- Pine (@PineLeaks)

The digital and optical zoom capabilities will apparently get a "massive boost" for 2020, with a "significantly extended digital zoom" with improved distance and quality. The upgrade, which could enable a 10x digital zoom, would rely on the iPhone combining "several frames at different zoom levels, and stacking them together," forming a hybrid of optical zooming and cropping, which then uses an algorithm to handle alignment and sharpening.

The ability to focus on items closer to the iPhone's camera may also be on the way. The account claims a sort of "macro camera" is still on the way, with users able to get "closer to objects compared to the current iPhone 11 Ultra Wide."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    People certainly need Face ID to be a couple of milliseconds faster to have more time in their lives to waste on social media./s

Smartphones are fast at doing nearly everything we need but there are those who are never satisfied.  I don't really understand that much need for speed.
    edited October 2020 mac_dog
  • Reply 2 of 12
    People certainly need Face ID to be a couple of milliseconds faster to have more time in their lives to waste on social media./s

Smartphones are fast at doing nearly everything we need but there are those who are never satisfied.  I don't really understand that much need for speed.
    I agree gravytrain, I think Moore just should have smoked a doobie, say "F" it, and let it flow like Molasses. /s

On the other hand I contest the notion that Face ID's algorithm is getting better or worse. The Face ID mechanism on the 2018 iPad Pro did 3D scanning on the face from multiple planes and would work from any angle while in bed and scans of your chin, side of face, or top of head. Since iOS 14 I've been noticing similar passes on my iPhone, though not if the phone is held horizontally.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,684member

You are right but I suspect the increase is just a by-product of faster processing across the board and some other feature that will make use if the array. 

On the camera front it doesn't look like this rumour brings much 'new' to the table (when compared to what's already available on other phones) and doesn't mention low light noise which is where I think Apple truly suffers. Perhaps due to sensor size.

If they can improve that aspect it would really be a big jump. 

That said, a higher optical zoom factor would definitely be a plus. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    After 8 months of covid, I could care less about a slightly faster face-id.  I sure hope Apple planned and integrated TouchID-on-power-button for the iPhone 12.  They did so on the new iPad - and obviously its design was complete before covid too, so I don't buy the argument "it was too late to integrate it when covid hit".

TouchID and later FaceID caused me to be more security conscious and changed to much longer, more secure password - no problem, since I rarely have to type it.  But since covid hit and FaceID become useless, it's been hell (not enough to shorten it though).  Anyway, the addition of TouchID alone would be reason enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone X.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    With “ten fails and it’s wiped” I’m happy enough with the security of a shorter passcode: so FaceID with a mask, as infrequently as it occurs (grocery store, gas station...) is a better route than extra hardware I don’t need. Much like more chargers and earphones. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    JFC_PA said:
    With “ten fails and it’s wiped” I’m happy enough with the security of a shorter passcode: so FaceID with a mask, as infrequently as it occurs (grocery store, gas station...) is a better route than extra hardware I don’t need. Much like more chargers and earphones. 
    I constantly need FaceID with a mask. The entire time I'm at work, plus, I'm constantly opening my phone to look at the list when I go grocery shopping - I probably open my phone 20+ times during the 30-45 minutes I'm at the store.

I agree with @gmgravytrain, though- FaceID is already pretty danged fast. Most of the time it's done before I have a chance to swipe up (assuming I don't have a mask!) Bringing back touchID along with FaceID would be awesome, though!

pulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,339member
    avon b7 said:

You are right but I suspect the increase is just a by-product of faster processing across the board and some other feature that will make use if the array. 

On the camera front it doesn't look like this rumour brings much 'new' to the table (when compared to what's already available on other phones) and doesn't mention low light noise which is where I think Apple truly suffers. Perhaps due to sensor size.

If they can improve that aspect it would really be a big jump. 

That said, a higher optical zoom factor would definitely be a plus. 
    The rumors that I saw and heard (Rene Ritchie video), is that the 6.7 inch Pro model, will get a 4x telephoto, and a much larger wide angle sensor, giving it a higher working ISO range, and lower noise. Together with the LIDAR sensor, this would lead to a much improved image, especially with the improved computation of the A14. 

As well, the range of new iPhones are rumored to include Dolbyvision, which will lead to the best expression of HDR at 4K and 120P, again, leveraging the A14, Playback likely supported on all Apple Silicon Macs in the future.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 8 of 12
    “Faster everything” would be a good bet. A more advanced processor usually does that.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    tjwolf said:
    After 8 months of covid, I could care less about a slightly faster face-id.  I sure hope Apple planned and integrated TouchID-on-power-button for the iPhone 12.  They did so on the new iPad - and obviously its design was complete before covid too, so I don't buy the argument "it was too late to integrate it when covid hit".

TouchID and later FaceID caused me to be more security conscious and changed to much longer, more secure password - no problem, since I rarely have to type it.  But since covid hit and FaceID become useless, it's been hell (not enough to shorten it though).  Anyway, the addition of TouchID alone would be reason enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone X.
    I am not terribly worried about my short (4) alphanumeric passcode, mainly because there is no way to know how long it is, let alone what it is when the alpha keyboard pops.  4 characters certainly helps when wearing the mask!
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tjwolf said:

They removed the touch ID button on the iPad able to make the screen larger. What would the practical reason be for them to include this on this year's iPhone prior to COVID and mask wearing? They obviously didn't start to design the soon to be released iPhone in the past few months. I would love this feature to be included as well, but I just don't see it making it to this year's phone. Maybe they will surprise us after all tomorrow .. we shall see. B)

• Reply 11 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

I haven’t updated iOS on my iPhone 6s and iPad Pro 1st gen, because iOS is NOT fast enough and every version gets slower (and buggier). There’s considerable lag in accepting typing when I change from app to app. The worst part about it is that it’s still getting WORSE. This is remarkable because my phone is on iOS 12.x, whatever the last version was. It has not been changed since. The lag, however, keeps getting worse. The only thing I can guess about as to why is that Apple’s using internet service that is slowing.

As for FaceID... I don’t want it. I’m happy for others to have it if they like it, but NOT if that means I can’t have TouchID. I’m hoping it comes back in new devices.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    dysamoria said:

I haven’t updated iOS on my iPhone 6s and iPad Pro 1st gen, because iOS is NOT fast enough and every version gets slower (and buggier). There’s considerable lag in accepting typing when I change from app to app. The worst part about it is that it’s still getting WORSE. This is remarkable because my phone is on iOS 12.x, whatever the last version was. It has not been changed since. The lag, however, keeps getting worse. The only thing I can guess about as to why is that Apple’s using internet service that is slowing.

As for FaceID... I don’t want it. I’m happy for others to have it if they like it, but NOT if that means I can’t have TouchID. I’m hoping it comes back in new devices.
    Actually the old code is forced to convert the new incoming content and that gets harder and harder as distance grows between your app generations and the content providers expectation of what is receiving their information. Apple doesn’t provide internet service, that’s your phone or household service provider. Simple Connection speed can be checked independently as well. FCC speedtest is a nice one. And there’s others. Ookla. 
    edited October 2020