Spotify threatening developers over apps that transfer playlists to other services

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    Let me get this right, I create play list on Spotify's service and I'm no longer allowed to transfer it to another service. How is my play list Spotify content? Did Spotify tell users the play lists they created and shard of their sole peppery and they can keep you from transferring it.
    That's not what Spotify said, if I'm reading it correctly.  They said that developers (those who've agreed to the Spotify SDK) may not write a tool to transfer a play list to another service.  They said nothing about you moving your playlist to another service.

Entirely different thing than what you said.
    No, it means users can not use those developer utilities to transfer a playlist. Yes i could recreate the play list on any service by reentering all the information. These developer are providing a service or tool to allow user to transfer playlists this is what Spotify is blocking. Who else is transferring playlist other than users, it is not like Apple is some how using it to transfer all the playlists on Spotify to their service. I do realize Spotify curates their own play lists and others should not be able to copy and take them somewhere else. But Spotify is blocking the ability to transfer all playlists, they made no distinction over what kind of playlist can not be transferred. Kind in mind you either recreate what you created on Spotify or you use a service or tool to transfer it for you. Spotify is making it hard for user to move to another platform since they know the playlist if what keeps users from moving. 

Imagine if Apple would keep you form transferring your contacts and photo from an iPhone or iCloud to another competing phone or cloud service via a tool or services.
    Of course users can't use a tool that doesn't exist!  Irrelevant to my point.  Nothing is stopping you from moving your Spotify list to another provider.  Spotify is in no way, shape, or form obligated to facilitate that process.  Nor are they obligated to allow developers using their proprietary API to create any such facilitating tools.

If Apple were to forbid developers (and they might, I don't know) from writing automated tools that facilitated moving Apple Music play lists to Spotify, they would be entirely within their rights as well.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pretty lame Spotify, makes you look very weak.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    Let me get this right, I create play list on Spotify's service and I'm no longer allowed to transfer it to another service. How is my play list Spotify content? Did Spotify tell users the play lists they created and shard of their sole peppery and they can keep you from transferring it.
    That's not what Spotify said, if I'm reading it correctly.  They said that developers (those who've agreed to the Spotify SDK) may not write a tool to transfer a play list to another service.  They said nothing about you moving your playlist to another service.

Entirely different thing than what you said.
    No, it means users can not use those developer utilities to transfer a playlist. Yes i could recreate the play list on any service by reentering all the information. These developer are providing a service or tool to allow user to transfer playlists this is what Spotify is blocking. Who else is transferring playlist other than users, it is not like Apple is some how using it to transfer all the playlists on Spotify to their service. I do realize Spotify curates their own play lists and others should not be able to copy and take them somewhere else. But Spotify is blocking the ability to transfer all playlists, they made no distinction over what kind of playlist can not be transferred. Kind in mind you either recreate what you created on Spotify or you use a service or tool to transfer it for you. Spotify is making it hard for user to move to another platform since they know the playlist if what keeps users from moving. 

Imagine if Apple would keep you form transferring your contacts and photo from an iPhone or iCloud to another competing phone or cloud service via a tool or services.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. 

In a digital world, interoperability should be promoted when it comes to user created time saving functions (be they contact listings, bookmarks, chat histories etc).

This move by Spotify should be frowned on and formally remedied via legislation (if it doesn't already exist).

It's Spotify in this case but too many companies make interoperability a pain for users. 

The last time I looked at exporting my bookmarks from Chrome to a non-GMS device for example, the instructions involved using Chrome from a computer. That was a barrier at the time because I didn't have access to one. Often it is these little areas that go unnoticed to many users. Especially when, in the case of Spotify, the action is effectively shielded from end users. 
    muthuk_vanalingam