Third-party magnetic 'iPhone 12' wireless charger debuts ahead of Apple event

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
MPOW Japan, a third-party accessories manufacturer, debuted a magnetically attached wireless charging system for "iPhone 12" late Monday, bolstering rumors that Apple's next-generation handset will support the feature.

MPOW

Announced in a press release, the as-yet-unnamed charger is built to support a new magnetic charging specification that will see introduction with "iPhone 12."

According to MPOW, the charger incorporates a "specially processed" ring-shaped magnet that is positioned strategically around a central charging coil. A similar arrangement is disposed in "iPhone 12," the company says, allowing for firm attachment to compatible accessories.

The magnetic mechanism addresses drawbacks of existing wireless solutions like misalignment of inductive coils, which can cause power transfer issues or halt charging. MPOW expects to release the charger in December.

Apple previously attempted to solve the problem of wireless charger "sweet spots" with AirPower, an ovaloid pad with multiple overlapping coils and advanced power delivery algorithms that allowed for simultaneous, free-placement charging of two iPhones and one Apple Watch. The project was officially cancelled in early 2019 due to engineering hurdles, though rumors claim development of a successor device is underway.

In the interim, third-party manufacturers like Nomad have stepped in to deliver free placement wireless charging options for Qi-enabled handsets.

Mac Otakara reported on MPOW's release earlier today.

Apple is rumored to launch a branded magnetic wireless charging puck alongside "iPhone 12" at tomorrow's special event. Recent leaks suggest the accessory will resurrect the MagSafe name, though it remains unclear how the charging mechanism relates to device safety. The original MagSafe was a much-beloved wired Macbook charging system that allowed an attached cable to disengage with a tug, the idea being passersby might trip over the cable and pull the computer with it.

Whether the anticipated charging puck and rumored AirPower device are one and the same is not clear.

AppleInsider will be covering Tuesday's "Hi, Speed" event live starting at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I really don't see the point of that over just plugging in a lightning cable. I mean, look at the size of it.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Rayz2016 said:
    I really don't see the point of that over just plugging in a lightning cable. I mean, look at the size of it.
    Rumors are that next year's phone will have no lightning port, so get used to the size of it  :D
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Qi charging doesn't make it terribly difficult to put the phone (or AirPods case, or Android phone, etc) in the right place, but if you don't pay attention you might wake up the next day to an uncharged device, which can be annoying. This solves that issue, but only for the iPhone. I would hope Apple has added this innovation to the existing Qi standard rather than coming up with something that is exclusive to one (family of) Apple products and useful for nothing else. I guess we'll see soon enough.

PS. What I would really like to see happen is Apple come up with a new standard that reduces or eliminates the inefficiency of current systems of wireless charging. It seems likely that in order to make phones more resilient and waterproof, ports are eventually going to be a thing of the past -- so let's find a way to make wireless charging nearly as efficient as plug-in charging.
    edited October 2020 entropyslkruppdewme
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I wonder how well this works with a cover.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    chasm said:
    Qi charging doesn't make it terribly difficult to put the phone (or AirPods case, or Android phone, etc) in the right place, but if you don't pay attention you might wake up the next day to an uncharged device, which can be annoying. This solves that issue, but only for the iPhone. I would hope Apple has added this innovation to the existing Qi standard rather than coming up with something that is exclusive to one (family of) Apple products and useful for nothing else. I guess we'll see soon enough.

PS. What I would really like to see happen is Apple come up with a new standard that reduces or eliminates the inefficiency of current systems of wireless charging. It seems likely that in order to make phones more resilient and waterproof, ports are eventually going to be a thing of the past -- so let's find a way to make wireless charging nearly as efficient as plug-in charging.
    it would seem so. Of course what would be more useful than a power plug or this magnetic Qi solution would be wireless charging anywhere in the vicinity of the charging point, say within two or three feet.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I agree. I’ve never had my lightning connected charger get misaligned or disconnect, and it charges faster than wireless and more efficiently.  
    I’ll get used to wireless charging when it’s the only option. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chasm said:

Wireless charging stands basically remove the need to pay attention to placement.   Also, multi-coil pads are becoming more ubiquitous as the tech develops.  This magnetic puck solution only solves that placement issue from a go-forward perspective.  It isn't backwards compatible to 11 series and earlier phones; at least not without an additional accessory for the accessory.  The charging puck could also be for the HomePod Mini, making it a portable speaker instead of stationary like the original HP.

Slow wireless charging speed is a conscious choice by Apple.  They may be concerned about possible accelerated battery degredation, idk.   It isn't a limitation of the technology though.  I know it sounds trite, but fast wireless charging has been a thing on Android for some time now.  One Plus is pushing 30W fast wireless charging.  30W... with claims of tech that mitigates higher battery degradation.  That's faster than wired iPhone charging.  Apple doesn't need to come up with a new standard.  We need another new standard like we an extra hole in the head.  Apple can simply do what it's famous for doing.  Taking existing tech and refining it to work in their ecosystem.  Fast charging already exists.  Apple just has to make it exist in their world.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I like it. This is obviously an extension of the magnetic wireless charging puck method used by Apple Watch, which I've found to be extremely reliable. There's no reason why this magnetic puck cannot be incorporated into a stand, pad, or vehicle console. I currently have both a charging cradle and a charging pad for my iPhone and have found that the pad style is very sensitive to phone placement, the cradle is much better, but the magnetic alignment method used with Apple Watch is still the best and most assured means of getting the alignment just right for wireless charging. It's about time they learned a lesson from one product to improve another product.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I wonder how well this works with a cover.
    Probably depends on the cover. A lot of covers/cases have a hole to display the Apple logo, which I find kind of goofy, so if the charging puck isn't too large there's no reason why a cover/case couldn't have a recessed hole in it to accommodate the charging puck. I'm of the opinion that covers/cases are primarily there to protect the phone edges and screen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Rayz2016 said:

I called this years ago. The reason is to charge while still being able to use the iPhone. Apple will remove the port. "Wireless" charging pads suck becasue the iPhone has to be stationary.

Except I called that iPhones would use the Apple Watch cable and the port would be removed during the announcement.