'HomePod mini' leak suggests spherical, compact design

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2020
Apple's rumored "HomePod mini" may take a more radical form than the existing HomePod, with the smart speaker being more spherical than its larger counterpart.

The 'HomePod mini' [via Evan Blass]
The 'HomePod mini' [via Evan Blass]

Rumors have pointed to the introduction of a "HomePod mini" for a while, with Apple thought to be introducing the extension to the product line in the relatively near future, potentially as part of today's "Hi, Speed" special event.

Image leaks from Evan Blass published on Voice are claimed to show the "HomePod mini" in Space Gray and White versions, matching the current product range colors. The big difference for the model is that it's quite spherical in shape, instead of being a cylindrical speaker that merely shrinks the size of the HomePod down.

It isn't entirely spherical, as the unit has a flatter bottom to place it on a table without rolling off. At the top, a cutout section houses the display, while the outside uses a similar fabric casing as its stablemate.

Current speculation has the "HomePod mini" priced at $99, and shipping sometime in November.

While AppleInsider cannot verify the provenance of the images, Blass has an outstanding track record across Apple and Android platforms.

So far, rumors have suggested the smaller device will be very similar to the original, albeit cheaper and more compact. Features relating to playback, Siri, and AirPlay are anticipated to remain intact and unchanged.

While it probably won't match the volume and sound modeling capabilities of the original, Apple is likely to be trying to get as close as possible. This would have to include limited versions of beamforming, bass management, and echo cancellation due to the size and price, as well as fewer microphones and a reduced speaker count.

Given the seemingly low cost, there is also an argument for users to acquire the mini version in pairs for cheaper stereo sound, or to buy higher quantities to put a HomePod in each room of a house.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.
seanj

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    At £99 each I’m ready to order two and throw out the Echo Dots, I’ve never liked Amazon having an always listening device in my home.
    supadav03igorskysvanstromchiadoozydozenkkqd1337StrangeDaysseanjDogpersonBeats
  • Reply 2 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Looks like a copy of the new echo announced a week or two ago?   Do they have Siri working better yet? Over priced by $50 if you have to use Siri.
    CloudTalkin
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Looking forward to buying two ASAP.
    svanstromdoozydozenDogperson
  • Reply 4 of 28
    k2kw said:
    Looks like a copy of the new echo announced a week or two ago?   Do they have Siri working better yet? Over priced by $50 if you have to use Siri.
    Ha! Yup.  Looks reminiscent of an Echo Dot flipped upside down.   

I wonder if the Mini will be a portable speaker?  It would make sense since the OG HomePod is stationary.  The Mini being portable could be accomplished with the new MagSafe "wireless" charger attached to the bottom.  Would be a plus if it was portable.  Also usable Bluetooth would be plus.  A 3.5mm i/o jack would be too much to ask, but usable BT is a reasonable expectation I think.
    doozydozenseanj
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Good-bye Echo Dots, Hello HomePods Mini 🙌🏻
    svanstromchiadoozydozenseanjBeats
  • Reply 6 of 28
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    k2kw said:
    Yep...Apple's designers were watching the hot and exciting Echo reveal and spent the last two weeks designing the Homepod Mini based on that.  Good call.
    george kaplansvanstromchiarandominternetpersonmike1doozydozenStrangeDaysforegoneconclusionseanjsupadav03
  • Reply 7 of 28
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    igorsky said:
    k2kw said:
    Yep...Apple's designers were watching the hot and exciting Echo reveal and spent the last two weeks designing the Homepod Mini based on that.  Good call.
    Well, it’s what is said when a device comes out a week or two later after  and looks similar. So it’s only fair. 
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I keep asking about wireless surround sound & home theater applications...
    Dolby Surround seems to decode via AppleTV via Airport Express to analogue output.
    ...and speaking of analogue or simply external connectivity...?
    Will all roads still lead to iCloud and Apple servers...?
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 9 of 28
    "It isn't entirely spherical, as the unit has a flatter bottom to place it on a table without rolling off."

Whew.  I was worried.
    doozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 28
    For those saying they are throwing out their Echo devices to get these are you nuts. Alexa is miles ahead of Siri. Miles.
    alphafox
  • Reply 11 of 28
    igorsky said:
    k2kw said:
    Well, it’s what is said when a device comes out a week or two later after  and looks similar. So it’s only fair. 

Not really. So Apple saw the release, designed, developed and started manufacturing in two weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    For those saying they are throwing out their Echo devices to get these are you nuts. Alexa is miles ahead of Siri. Miles.

Please. Exaggerate much? Why do you assume that Alexa/Siri is the only reason to buy one of these?
    Do you consider sound quality?
    Do you consider HomeKit compatibility?
    Do you consider integration with any other gear we might own?

Siri works just fine for everything I need it to do. Play music, control HomeKit devices, and respond to random queries.
    randominternetpersondoozydozenseanjsupadav03
  • Reply 13 of 28
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    mike1 said:

Please. Exaggerate much? Why do you assume that Alexa/Siri is the only reason to buy one of these?

Siri works just fine for everything I need it to do. Play music, control HomeKit devices, and respond to random queries.
    Also, data privacy. Many of us are not interested in giving Amazon or Google an open microphone or camera in our homes. 
    mike1doozydozenStrangeDaysseanjsupadav03bageljoeyDogperson
  • Reply 14 of 28
    AppleZulu said:
    mike1 said:

Also, data privacy. Many of us are not interested in giving Amazon or Google an open microphone or camera in our homes. 
    Yep. Forgot that.

doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mike1 said:

Agreed.  Siri gets better and better.  I wouldn't use Siri to order toilet paper or a pizza, but those aren't use cases where I want to use my voice.  Someday, when these devices can have a natural conversation with the user, sure.  But none of them is there yet, as far as I know.  
    mike1
  • Reply 16 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Looks like 2020 is the "Year of the Sphere" in many ways, some good, some not so good.
    mike1
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mike1 said:

Agreed.  Siri gets better and better.  I wouldn't use Siri to order toilet paper or a pizza, but those aren't use cases where I want to use my voice.  Someday, when these devices can have a natural conversation with the user, sure.  But none of them is there yet, as far as I know.  
    I do use Siri to order my coffee from Starbucks when I leave the house. The Shortcut works nicely.

• Reply 18 of 28
    wouldnt mind a $199 battery version
  • Reply 19 of 28
    These will be great HomeKit hubs at 99. For people wanting to start HomeKit without buying an ATV or the original HomePod.
    seanj
  • Reply 20 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Nonsense. The roundups routinely say they’re all similar; that is, they suck in different ways. 

Siri does exactly what I need - home automation, reminders, todos, appointments, short texts, minor trivia. And I don’t have to worry about Google or Amazon data mining, selling access to, being sloppy with privacy, etc etc. 
    edited October 2020 mike1supadav03