Apple launches iPhone 12 with 5G, A14 Bionic processor, higher resolution display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Jonny K said:
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed

DetnatorRayz2016mortarman81mmBeatsjony0StrangeDaysrazorpituraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 58
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,016member

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    That's a bit rude. Some people don't own 17. Most don't. And when I give an old iDevice away, I give away the USB charger, so I think I have only ONE charger in my house, and one headphone. Who on earth would give away an iDevice without giving away the charger/headphone too?
    I have, and without a thought about it. The recipients also already had multiple chargers, buds, etc. Plus, unless the buds are virgin, nobody wants the ones you've been using to collect bits of your earwax. While I would agree that some people don't own 17, many or most do. Again, Apple has hard data on rates of return customers. It's likely at this point that a definite minority of their customers are first-time buyers. 
    jony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,254member
    Does anyone who the manufacturer of the drone carrying an iPhone? If so, any experience with it?
    llamarazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    dewme said:
    The leakers pretty much spoiled the entire present unwrapping ceremony. It's like kids who find out where their parents hide all the Christmas presents and peak ahead of time. It just kind of ruins the fun. What do these "leakers" really get out of their antics, other than to spoil the fun of so many others just to prove that they are "special" in some way because they have some lowlife on the inside feeding them proprietary information? Makes me want to stay away from these kind of web sites in the first place. With so few good things to look forward to in 2020 a little surprise would have been a much needed change of pace. Oh well. Bad leaker, bad bad leaker that needs to be housebroken.  
    You know you’re not forced to read those articles.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Bottom line - Apple needs to keep secrets like the old days, start REALLY innovating rather than these snowflake upgrades, and most importantly - get the excitement going again!

I have a iPhone XS MAX, skipped the 11, and now I'm skipping the 12.

Mass market will be like "no charging block?" "still a lightning connector?"

Another year of mild evolution...... I'll put my XS MAX against all this new stuff and come away happy and not regretting a thing.

Watch - They'll be giving these away to get you to sign up for unlimited

JosephAU
  • Reply 26 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    That's a bit rude. Some people don't own 17. Most don't. And when I give an old iDevice away, I give away the USB charger, so I think I have only ONE charger in my house, and one headphone. Who on earth would give away an iDevice without giving away the charger/headphone too?
    You pass on used headphones?  Gross.
    jony0razorpituraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 58
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Jonny K said:

Um, dude, that's not what vaporware means.
    jony0DetnatorStrangeDaysdysamoriarazorpituraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 

We don't know if there was a price drop. I doubt there was with expensive features like 5G and Magsafe.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Apple’s doing some good things, like getting rid of rounded edges, OLED screens, etc. but I can see why people don’t get very excited. It’s because you pay too much: let’s see them up the starting storage to 128 GB and drop the price to $650, and you’ll see people get excited about buying iPhones again. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 58
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,933member
    "[The iPhone 12] has the ultra wide camera that people love,” - everyone I know would rather have a telephoto lens than a wide angle. IME, I need to get closer to something far more often than I need to get farther away from it. I have and Xs and my wife has an 11. Nine times out of ten we end up using my camera because of the telephoto lens.

I also see they went back to the 4s style case. The one thing I remember about that model was I seemed to drop it all the time There was something about the sharp corner that made it harder to hold on to.
    muthuk_vanalingamJosephAU
  • Reply 31 of 58
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,583member
    Detnator said:

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Not sure "rude" is fair.  But whatever we want to call it, the sarcasm and snark in the post I was replying to warranted it I think.

And yes, often we give the chargers away with the phone, but often we don't.  I've nearly always just traded my phone back into the carrier I was on a payment plan with and they don't want or give any credit for including the charger or headphones with the traded in phone. so I really do have at least 17 of those Apple USB charger bricks.  It's ridiculous.

Not including it in the box gives us the choice - and choice is better, surely?  Anyone who doesn't have one can still buy one separately (they're not exactly expensive), but those of us who do have them don't have to pay for them again. I'll bet a lot of them start showing up on ebay or whatever.  Those of us who have 17 can make a few extra bucks and those who need them can get them cheap if desired.  They last a VERY long time before failing.  As StrangeDays says above, it just seems to be win win win all round I think.
    I would call it more "spin" than "win". I'm not a winner, I'm a loser. What Apple should have done was make it a free option. People who say they need one should get one for free. People like you who are honest would decline one, and I'm sure lots of people are honest like you. Right? You really do have 17, I trust. That's an odd number to be tracking mentally in your head.
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 58
    dewme said:
    The leakers pretty much spoiled the entire present unwrapping ceremony. It's like kids who find out where their parents hide all the Christmas presents and peak ahead of time. It just kind of ruins the fun. What do these "leakers" really get out of their antics, other than to spoil the fun of so many others just to prove that they are "special" in some way because they have some lowlife on the inside feeding them proprietary information? Makes me want to stay away from these kind of web sites in the first place. With so few good things to look forward to in 2020 a little surprise would have been a much needed change of pace. Oh well. Bad leaker, bad bad leaker that needs to be housebroken.  
    He has, what we call, "first world problems."

• Reply 33 of 58

crowley said:
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

You pass on used headphones?  Gross.
    Who said I used my headphones? I don't. Never assume.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 58
    dewme said:

That's why I stay away from Apple news after the event announcement date.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Jonny K said:

Ahh! haha beat me to it. I didn't even get to the second page yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Detnator said:

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Not sure "rude" is fair.  But whatever we want to call it, the sarcasm and snark in the post I was replying to warranted it I think.

And yes, often we give the chargers away with the phone, but often we don't.  I've nearly always just traded my phone back into the carrier I was on a payment plan with and they don't want or give any credit for including the charger or headphones with the traded in phone. so I really do have at least 17 of those Apple USB charger bricks.  It's ridiculous.

Not including it in the box gives us the choice - and choice is better, surely?  Anyone who doesn't have one can still buy one separately (they're not exactly expensive), but those of us who do have them don't have to pay for them again. I'll bet a lot of them start showing up on ebay or whatever.  Those of us who have 17 can make a few extra bucks and those who need them can get them cheap if desired.  They last a VERY long time before failing.  As StrangeDays says above, it just seems to be win win win all round I think.
    I would call it more "spin" than "win". I'm not a winner, I'm a loser. What Apple should have done was make it a free option. People who say they need one should get one for free. People like you who are honest would decline one, and I'm sure lots of people are honest like you. Right? You really do have 17, I trust. That's an odd number to be tracking mentally in your head.
    You're kidding about the 17, right?  It's a figure of speech.  I'm pretty sure you don't believe my point only applies to people who have exactly 17.

Why?  Why should Apple give them away for free?  Why should anyone give anything away for free?  I'm sorry but that just screams entitlement.

I really don't understand how you're a loser in this. These new phones have a crap load of new tech in them and that stuff doesn't come cheap (especially the 5G). That they put all that stuff in, left out <$100 worth of accessories, and kept the prices the same seems pretty darn reasonable to me.  And if you really don't see any value in the new tech in these phones, then they're still selling the 11, XR, and SE for you to choose from.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,389member
    dewme said:
    It was tongue in cheek, but I was waiting for Tim to say ... "One more thing" nonetheless. 
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Detnator said:
    Detnator said:

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

You're kidding about the 17, right?  It's a figure of speech.  I'm pretty sure you don't believe my point only applies to people who have exactly 17.

Why?  Why should Apple give them away for free?  Why should anyone give anything away for free?  I'm sorry but that just screams entitlement.

I really don't understand how you're a loser in this. These new phones have a crap load of new tech in them and that stuff doesn't come cheap (especially the 5G). That they put all that stuff in, left out <$100 worth of accessories, and kept the prices the same seems pretty darn reasonable to me.  And if you really don't see any value in the new tech in these phones, then they're still selling the 11, XR, and SE for you to choose from.
    Because they've been giving them away for free, included at no cost, since forever. You sure like to gripe about things. You're funny. Can we be best friends?

You've used several of the techniques in this video, you should watch it:

edited October 2020
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Bullshit. In the Pro I’m buying they doubled the base storage, for the same price. That’s a direct reallocation and savings to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 58
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It’s irritating that they did not put TouchID in these new phones. Why is iPad the ONLY new device that gets TouchID returned?
    muthuk_vanalingam