Apple using 100 percent recycled magnets in iPhone 12, removing headphones and charger fro...

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2021
Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, announced during Apple's "Hi, Speed" event Tuesday some new environmental benchmarks for the new iPhone 12.

Apple's Lisa Jackson at the
Apple's Lisa Jackson at the "Hi, Speed" event

The new iPhone, Jackson said, will use 100 percent environmentally recycled magnets in the new iPhone lineup -- and that Apple will no longer include Lightning headphones or power adapters in the box.

"Many of iPhone 12's environmental features build on our past progress in removing harmful chemicals and using renewable and recyclable materials," Jackson said in a pre-taped segment from Apple Park. "And now, for the first time, we are using 100 percent recycled rare earth elements in all magnets, including the camera, haptics and MagSafe."

She added that Apple has been transitioning its iPhone manufacturing partners to renewable energy, and much like with Apple Watch, Apple has "looked for ways to cut waste and use less material."

Apple's recycling efforts, as pointed out during the
Apple's recycling efforts, as pointed out during the "Hi, Speed" event

On the removal of the items from the box, which had been rumored for months, Jackson noted that "customers already have over 700 million Lightning headphones, and many customers have moved to a wireless experience, with AirPods, Beats and other wireless headphones."

Removing the items, Jackson added, "reduces carbon emissions, and avoids the mining and use of precious materials. Removing these items also means a smaller, lighter iPhone box."

Apple announced in July that it had committed to a 100 percent carbon neutral footprint by 2030.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Fine, lower the price of the iPhone then since people will have to shell out more for chargers and earbuds. I’ve been using the 2016 iPhone SE and don’t have lightning earbuds. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    How can I give my old charger to the person who gets my old iPhone if there’s no replacement with the box?  This also seems like a really rotten trick to play on someone who is new to iPhone. 

This really stinks for people who want their friends to inherit their old devices.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Fine, lower the price of the iPhone then since people will have to shell out more for chargers and earbuds. I’ve been using the 2016 iPhone SE and don’t have lightning earbuds. 

Not unless they use the savings to pack more into the iPhone.
    jony0smiffy31watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    How can I give my old charger to the person who gets my old iPhone if there’s no replacement with the box?  This also seems like a really rotten trick to play on someone who is new to iPhone. This really stinks for people who want their friends to inherit their old devices.
    I'm fine with it. I have a drawer full of old chargers and earphones. No need to add to them. 

And what, your friend didn't already have a phone? No USB charger? No existing headphones? Were they destitute?

I think you're reaching for an excuse to criticize their decision.
    jony0welshdogfastasleepsmiffy31watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    How can I give my old charger to the person who gets my old iPhone if there’s no replacement with the box?  This also seems like a really rotten trick to play on someone who is new to iPhone. 

This really stinks for people who want their friends to inherit their old devices.
    I think your friend would understand if they had to go out and buy their own new charger and cable.  If not screw em. They’re getting a free or nearly free iPhone. Besides, some people treat their cables like crap. 

The only thing I would ask Apple to do is reduce the cost of the USB-C charging brick for customers who are upgrading from an 8 or older since they don’t have the right type of power brick. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,130member
    The chargers last a long time, but the cords don’t always. They include a USB-C cord, and sure I have a bunch of chargers, but not a single one that supports USB-C. I bet I’m not alone in this. Not the biggest deal, but it’s disingenuous to pretend lots of people have lots of spare USB-C chargers (although we do have it on our computers). And USB-A is still common/standard in a lot of places, like 2021 car models. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmlongco said:
    How can I give my old charger to the person who gets my old iPhone if there’s no replacement with the box?  This also seems like a really rotten trick to play on someone who is new to iPhone. This really stinks for people who want their friends to inherit their old devices.
    I'm fine with it. I have a drawer full of old chargers and earphones. No need to add to them. 

And what, your friend didn't already have a phone? No USB charger? No existing headphones? Were they destitute?

I think you're reaching for an excuse to criticize their decision.

No. He had Android. Got the point? Think out of the box rather than finding excuses for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

How are you charging your phone?  Give them that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Beats said:

Then where’s the Touch ID in the iPhone 12 like they did with new iPad Air because Face ID doesn’t work with masks. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Beats said:

Then where’s the Touch ID in the iPhone 12 like they did with new iPad Air because Face ID doesn’t work with masks. 
    It was developed for the Air's full screen design before COVID-19 was even a thing. iPhone had its main hardware feature set formalized before then as well.
    watto_cobra