Apple will continue including EarPods with iPhone 12 in France

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
In what's believed to be in order to comply with local regulations, Apple is to include a pair of wired EarPods with all models of iPhone 12 that are sold in France.

Apple will continue to include EarPods with iPhones in France
Apple will continue to include EarPods with iPhones in France

Following Apple's cost- and environmentally-driven decision to cease shipping power adapters and wired headphones in the box of every iPhone, one exception has now been revealed. Customers in France who buy any model iPhone will continue to receive wired EarPods with Lightning connector, seemingly due to local laws.

Apple has not commented, but it appears that the inclusion of the EarPods is part of complying with a series of laws passed by the French National Assembly in 2015. In particular, it relates to Article L. 5232-1-3, which regards protecting children.

"At the request of the purchaser," says the law, in translation, "for the sale of any mobile telephone device, the operator provides an accessory to limit the exposure of the head to radioelectric emissions suitable for children under the age of fourteen."

Presumably most iPhones are sold to, or used by, people over the age of 14. However, to be certain of always complying with a law, a company may well do more than is strictly necessary. It's the principle of the baker's dozen, where to be certain no mistake can mean selling a pack of just 11 buns, 13 are sold instead.

"What's in the Box" Top: France, Bottom: US

Apple does sell the iPhone for more in France than it does in the US, because of currency fluctuations and import costs. Currently, for instance, an iPhone 12 costs from $948 (809 euros), instead of $699.

Apple France's continuing to provide EarPods was first spotted by MacRumors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m surprised they don’t just ask the age of the user and hand them a set of EarPods if they’re under 14. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    € 809 is including tax where the dollar price is usually ex taxes. If I buy one in the Netherlands, as a business, the tax is returned and it costs € 668 netto.

Still a bit clumsy of Apple that in France you basically get the earPods for free, while others have to pay for them..
    edited October 2020 rotateleftbytechadbag
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The whole EarPods/adapter thing left me a bit disappointed.  It would have been nice to have an Apple Gift Card for $38 in there ($19/ea for EarPods/adapter) to buy what you wanted.  Cost to Apple:  not much; the box could have been the same size, and offer to shred the card when done.  Then, they could have used that to up sell to AirPods, or whatever...

I know its not a big deal, but the virtue signaling said to me:
    ”You’re losing $38 of value while we save the planet.  Any complaints, and you’re a planet killing pig.  Now, on with the show!”
    MplsPmobirdchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    The whole EarPods/adapter thing left me a bit disappointed.  It would have been nice to have an Apple Gift Card for $38 in there ($19/ea for EarPods/adapter) to buy what you wanted.  Cost to Apple:  not much; the box could have been the same size, and offer to shred the card when done.  Then, they could have used that to up sell to AirPods, or whatever...

”You’re losing $38 of value while we save the planet.  Any complaints, and you’re a planet killing pig.  Now, on with the show!”
    I completely agree. This would have been a win-win. Reduced packaging and waste that would also drive sales of apple accessories at the same time.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 8

Did you consider the fact that maybe you’re getting $38 or more of higher internal component cost compared to your equivalent phone last year?  I’ve got plenty of charging bricks and headphones plus AirPods.  I’d prefer they make a more amazing phone and not charge me extra for it.  They’re going to build 28% of net margin either way.  Would you prefer to pay $737 for your iPhone 12 mini instead of $699 so that you can have the charger and EarPods?
    mike1randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

Did you consider the fact that maybe you’re getting $38 or more of higher internal component cost compared to your equivalent phone last year?  I’ve got plenty of charging bricks and headphones plus AirPods.  I’d prefer they make a more amazing phone and not charge me extra for it.  They’re going to build 28% of net margin either way.  Would you prefer to pay $737 for your iPhone 12 mini instead of $699 so that you can have the charger and EarPods?
    I am sure they didn't. Their thought process is too shallow and self-centered.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Gotta love how the EU and its member states trip over and contradict themselves with all these silly rules.

edited October 2020 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    € 809 is including tax where the dollar price is usually ex taxes. If I buy one in the Netherlands, as a business, the tax is returned and it costs € 668 netto.

Still a bit clumsy of Apple that in France you basically get the earPods for free, while others have to pay for them..
    This.  Is there no simple investigation by the writer before publishing the story?  It has been known for years that European pricing generally includes the VAT and US prices do not include the sales tax?  This is generally the bulk of the price differences.  A small amount is elated to currency conversion and stuff like that.  
    watto_cobra