YouTube Music gets Apple Watch companion app

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 22

Google on Thursday released a new YouTube Music app for the Apple Watch that will let users control playback on their smartphones from their wrists.

Credit: Google
Credit: Google

The app, which requires watchOS 6 and an Apple Watch Series 3 or later to run, will allow users to stream tracks from YouTube Music on their wrists.

Like other streaming platforms on watchOS, the YouTube Music app is basically a remote for the full app on an iPhone. It allows users to perform basic functionality like control playback and browse their libraries.

It also comes with a complication that Apple Watch users can add to their watch faces, though not all faces support it, and a shortcut that lets users cast a song from a smartphone to a speaker.

There are some limitations, including the fact that the app doesn't currently support offline playback on the Apple Watch.

Users can download the YouTube Music app here.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yawn....

Neither my phone nor my watch has anything from Google on it.   That would eliminate one of the major reasons for having a product from Apple.
    Besides, Apple Music meets my needs.    I like how the watch gives me the option of selecting from 'recently played' stuff from my iPhone when I go for a run with just my watch while leaving my phone in my car.
    watto_cobra