Delivery dates already slipping for iPhone 12 Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion
A seemingly very busy pre-order period for Apple is being reflected in how the iPhone 12 Pro, in particular, is already seeing its estimated delivery dates moving back across the world.

While you can still pick up the iPhone 12 in UK stores on October 23, you can't get the iPhone 12 Pro there at all.
While you can still pick up the iPhone 12 in UK stores on October 23, you can't get the iPhone 12 Pro there at all.

The Apple Store didn't start taking pre-orders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro until some minutes after the advertised 08:00 ET time. Then it appears to have immediately been hit with more orders than can be fulfilled by the earliest delivery date of October 23.

Customers in the UK report that within three to four minutes, some models and configurations saw delivery dates slipping back one and then two weeks. US customers appear to have fared better, but worldwide it appears that Apple is already unable to keep up with initial demand on time.

AppleInsider has taken a snapshot of the delivery times as they stood two hours after pre-orders began. Different configurations of model, capacity, and so on will be different.

For a comparative sample, though, we've checked out delivery dates for the iPhone 12 in blue with 128GB, and the iPhone 12 Pro in blue with 256GB. These are both the middle configurations available, and we checked them across the US, UK, France, and Australia.

iPhone 12

The good news for US customers is that it's still possible to get the iPhone 12 delivered by October 23, assuming you order soon. There is also an option for collecting in-store and a random sampling of possible stores from New York to Los Angeles is showing the same October 23 date, as of October 16, 10:40 AM. ET

In France and Australia, the date is no longer shown as October 23, but instead listed as 5-7 working days. That "working days" part is key, as it means the date may actually have slipped to Monday 26.

That's still better than the situation in the UK. There the iPhone 12 is now available for delivery on November 2-9 at the earliest.

However, across France, Australia, and even the UK, the iPhone 12 remains officially available to be picked up in-store on October 23. For the moment.

Stores in France are still showing October 23 availability. Delivery has slipped back, however.
Stores in France are still showing October 23 availability. Delivery has slipped back, however.

iPhone 12 Pro

Again, American customers are fine. An iPhone 12 Pro ordered at time of writing will still arrive for delivery on October 23, and will also be in stores then.

Curiously, the iPhone 12 Pro in this middle configuration cannot be picked up at all from any of 20+ the UK stores we checked. It's not clear whether it ever was, but right now the only way to get this model in the UK is to order it delivered.

And when you do that, currently the quoted delivery date is November 2-9. That's between just over two weeks and just over three weeks later than October 23.

Both France and Australia are showing in-store pickup available on October 23, again in the stores we checked. However, delivery times for this model are now quoted as 2-3 weeks.

There's no obvious reason why some territories will list specific dates, such as November 2-9, and others will state a number of weeks. It's possible that it's purely how each country prefers to show dates, or it could be that weeks are shown when it's not yet precisely clear when an order will ship.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    So, while I have sympathy with those whose phones will be late, it’s good news overall. Just the other day, one of these “analysts”, or whatever he is, said that only 10% of people he, or the company he’s with, would buy iPhones this year, or possibly, early next year. So if there are delays already, the likely means that the 10% number is low.
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Expect Apple to sell around 80,000,000 iPhones this quarter.

That is about 900,000 iPhones per day or about 10 iPhones per second. Ten per SECOND!

They are still design, manufacture, ship, and sell boatloads of iPads, millions of Macs, tonnes of Watches, TVs, AirPods, HomePods, accessories and so much more.

This is something to consider when you hear anyone complaining about she does slipping a wee bit.

Under Tim Cook, Apple has become a global supply-chain, manufacturing, distribution, and sales LEVIATHAN.
    equality72521Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    melgross said:
    So, while I have sympathy with those whose phones will be late, it’s good news overall. Just the other day, one of these “analysts”, or whatever he is, said that only 10% of people he, or the company he’s with, would buy iPhones this year, or possibly, early next year. So if there are delays already, the likely means that the 10% number is low.
    Anal-list are hiding shamelessly but they won’t stop
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I’m waiting until 3am (or 8am) EST on November 6th for the iPhone12 Pro Max.
    napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Let’s all shoot from the hip and see who ends up being accurate with their wild guess. The winner gets the title of “Apple Analyst”.
    bakerzdosenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Not all varieties can be delivered in the US by October 23rd—as of 8:52AM EST, a blue IPhone 12 Pro 128gb had an estimated delivery date of November 6-13th, and that’s still true as of 2:40PM EST. But in-store pickup was available for the 23rd. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I was "late" to the party because I really wasn't intending to upgrade (AT&T offering $800 for my iphone X just seemed too good to be true, but once I confirmed that, it was difficult to resist.) AT&T is currently quoting the 26th-2nd for arrival times for all but the Silver 128GB pro. We'll see if it's closer to the beginning or end of that window.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I’m in the upgrade program so I’m unsure if it counts, but as I was busy I didn’t get around to placing my order till around 6pm or so. I have a blue 256 pro to pick up in store on launch day. In all likelihood it will get returned for the pro max but I thought I’d test it out and see what I thought. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Let’s all shoot from the hip and see who ends up being accurate with their wild guess. The winner gets the title of “Apple Analyst”.
    Or loser.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    19 minutes after the start of the preorder this morning, the Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro w/256GB for AT&T I order had already slipped to 3 Nov.  So in the US, it may be different by service provider, too.  I was not surprised how quickly they were being ordered today.  At least I know I have one coming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    What analysts (and a lot of people here) don't understand is that Apple doesn't expect people with the last version of the iPhone to rush out and buy the next version of the iPhone. My last phone was the X, so I'm going get this one and hang on to it for a couple of years (unless we're still in a pandemic and TouchID makes a reappearance). 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    What analysts (and a lot of people here) don't understand is that Apple doesn't expect people with the last version of the iPhone to rush out and buy the next version of the iPhone. My last phone was the X, so I'm going get this one and hang on to it for a couple of years (unless we're still in a pandemic and TouchID makes a reappearance). 

The three of us buy new phones every two years. We’re due this year. There was a lot of pull to me last year with the improvement on photography, and quite frankly, the mid nite green, which I think is great. I’m disappointed, but not surprised it’s not here this year, but I’ll likely get the blue. The new Max, which is what we get, has significantly better photo quality and features.  We’re all stoked over them. I have my Canon 5Dmk IV, and lenses, but use my iPhone for most of my picture taking.

about that so called survey, well, who exactly were they talking to? Apple is expected to have a 15% iPhone sales lift with the new phones. That puts them comfortable above 200 million phone sales again. So if just 10% express an interest in buying a new one, who are these oeople?
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I woke up at 5 am on Friday to order, and my order was placed by 5:07. My confirmation email is stamped 5:09 am.

When I ordered, I was promised 10/23 delivery, and that’s what it said on the confirmation screen.  But in the order acknowledgement email, it says “November 3-6.”  I am pissed, because I wouldn’t have ordered that way if I’d known they were going to delay it (I’ll be out of town when it arrives now.)

So I’m not sure how you can say that U.S. folks were okay for launch day delivery, when orders at 5:07 am we’re already being delayed. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    daviator said:
    I woke up at 5 am on Friday to order, and my order was placed by 5:07. My confirmation email is stamped 5:09 am.

When I ordered, I was promised 10/23 delivery, and that’s what it said on the confirmation screen.  But in the order acknowledgement email, it says “November 3-6.”  I am pissed, because I wouldn’t have ordered that way if I’d known they were going to delay it (I’ll be out of town when it arrives now.)

So I’m not sure how you can say that U.S. folks were okay for launch day delivery, when orders at 5:07 am we’re already being delayed. 
    As a veteran iPhone order-er since 2007 within minutes -- if not seconds -- of order open, I have many such wounds. Many of us here do. 

Don't give up hope. Often, it arrives much sooner.

edited October 2020 watto_cobra