Under-display Touch ID on an iPhone is still coming, leaker claims

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,407member
    I got something in my eye the other day and I could not use FaceID since my eye was closed. My finger was busy rubbing my eye so touch was out of the question. I couldn't look up on how to get it out of eye. Apple almost caused me to go blind.

I need a LAWYER!!!!

(100% sarcasm)
    There’s a setting for that. Under accessibility, you can turn off the requirement for open eyes. Someone could unthought phone while you slept, but it would have solved your short-term problem. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    vision33r said:
    What Was wrong with having touchID home button?  Why take that out and replace the space with a notch?

Form? Function?  
    Imagine not knowing why the notch is there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Also, even though I kind of hate FaceID, I find myself missing TouchID most when I'm in a checkout line and trying to use Apple Pay. But you know what works better than an iPhone for that? The Watch. I want TouchID back too but really it's not that big a deal.

Whenever I hear this complaint, it seems that the user is under the mistaken impression that you need to be looking at the phone while you are holding it against the terminal. That is not necessary. You can double press the side button while the phone is against the POS terminal and then authenticate your face. Much more convenient.

Agree that the Watch is the best way to handle it, though.

Face ID is not a lot of use when you are trying to pay for fuel while wearing a full face crash helmet especially the retro AGV ones. OTOH, taking one glove off is easy.
    And there are scenarios when taking bulky winter gloves off isn't easy, or your hands or wet. Trade-offs. The primary use case isn't designed for people wearing motorcycle helmets, lol
    Face ID also does not work for Apple Pay while wearing a mask indoors at any retailer. I have to enter my passcode twice. Once to unlock and then again to initiate the OK to pay. Very annoying compared to the previous phone’s very reliable Touch ID.
    I just tested this. I do not have to “unlock” with a passcode then enter it again for Apple pay. A double click of the power button, with phone locked, with a mask on, almost immediately offers you to enter passcode to pay. 

Oops, three others have already debunked the double passcode complaint. 
    edited October 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 44 of 48
    darkvader said:
    What's wrong with a BUTTON??????

I know it's trendy to have the display go to the edge, but it's also stupid.  Bezels are great, they give you something to hold. 

The home button is simply a better design than the up swipe.
    Weird, everyone I've ever seen use a phone holds them by the sides, not pinching the chin bezel.

Also, it sounds like you haven't used a full screen model. The X-onward gestures are far, far, far superior to the home button behavior ever was — faster for app switching/multitasking as well. I will never, ever want to go back.
  • Reply 45 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Also, even though I kind of hate FaceID, I find myself missing TouchID most when I'm in a checkout line and trying to use Apple Pay. But you know what works better than an iPhone for that? The Watch. I want TouchID back too but really it's not that big a deal.

Whenever I hear this complaint, it seems that the user is under the mistaken impression that you need to be looking at the phone while you are holding it against the terminal. That is not necessary. You can double press the side button while the phone is against the POS terminal and then authenticate your face. Much more convenient.

Face ID is not a lot of use when you are trying to pay for fuel while wearing a full face crash helmet especially the retro AGV ones. OTOH, taking one glove off is easy.
    And there are scenarios when taking bulky winter gloves off isn't easy, or your hands or wet. Trade-offs. The primary use case isn't designed for people wearing motorcycle helmets, lol
    Face ID also does not work for Apple Pay while wearing a mask indoors at any retailer. I have to enter my passcode twice. Once to unlock and then again to initiate the OK to pay. Very annoying compared to the previous phone’s very reliable Touch ID.
    A technology for scanning your face doesn’t work when your face is behind a mask? Shocking!

Also, you’re doing it wrong. You don’t need to enter it twice to use Apple Pay. With device locked, double-click the side button to initiate Apple Pay mode (works even if locked). Input passcode and wave over POST. 
    Yes, I do click twice to initiate the pay mode. Then I must input my password twice. That’s just how it works at the retailers I frequent.
  • Reply 46 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

I just tested this. I do not have to “unlock” with a passcode then enter it again for Apple pay. A double click of the power button, with phone locked, with a mask on, almost immediately offers you to enter passcode to pay. 

It’s not “debunked” it’s a higher security setting preference. It’s more inconvenient, but it is, in fact more secure.
  • Reply 47 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

It’s not “debunked” it’s a higher security setting preference. It’s more inconvenient, but it is, in fact more secure.
    And what setting would that be? I think you're doing it wrong. I don't have any security turned off and I enter my passcode precisely once when using Apple Pay on my iPhone. Usually I just use my Watch though which requires neither Face ID or a passcode.