iPhone 12 mini has 2,227 mAh battery, iPhone 12 has 2,815 mAh battery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    I’m switching to android. Been a iphone user since inception and so tired of its interface. So many things about it bug me. Not least  of which was apple deleted my entire music library a few tears ago and bricked my 2 yrs old max book pro when the keyboard broke  and they quoted me $900 to replace it . Looking at getting the rog3.  
    1) Didn’t you have your music library backed up to an external drive?

2) Why wouldn’t a broken keyboard be covered under Apple Care assuming you had it? 
  • Reply 22 of 54
    macgui said:
    neilm said:
    A 2,227 mAh battery will likely only last a few hours of normal use.  The mini is a nice size, but I could never deal with that small capacity battery.  I guess it could be good for some people, but with an A14 Bionic, they'd want to use it a lot and the battery will just poop out halfway through the day.  That's just crazy.  I would only be satisfied with the iPhone 12 Pro Max simply because that is the largest capacity battery available.
    Smaller screen also equals lower power consumption, other things being equal.

A little early for you to be making assumptions about battery run time, much less about other people's device usage patterns.
    Bingo.

Also, MagSafe with its 15W charging rate is going to be a game changer. Someone is going to make a battery pack that I can slap on my iPhone mini to recharge it quickly when it gets low on juice. That’s why I’m not worried about the mini’s small battery capacity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I’m switching to android. Been a iphone user since inception and so tired of its interface. So many things about it bug me. Not least  of which was apple deleted my entire music library a few tears ago and bricked my 2 yrs old max book pro when the keyboard broke  and they quoted me $900 to replace it . Looking at getting the rog3.  

2) Why wouldn’t a broken keyboard be covered under Apple Care assuming you had it? 

No, he has good points that shouldn't be marginalized.    Apple fell down in both of those areas.   Music libraries dissapeared when Apple released Apple Music and $800 for a keyboard is insane (and he obviously didn't have AppleCare+)
  • Reply 24 of 54

No, he has good points that shouldn't be marginalized.    Apple fell down in both of those areas.   Music libraries dissapeared when Apple released Apple Music and $800 for a keyboard is insane (and he obviously didn't have AppleCare+)
    Apple Music is a streaming service, you’re essentially renting music for a monthly/yearly fee. If you want to own the music then purchase it from the iTunes Store and back it up. Mac’s come with a 1 year warranty unless you buy the AppleCare+. You’re a fool not to add AppleCare+ for every Apple product you purchase. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    melgross said:
    fred1 said:
    Any idea why Apple doesn’t make known battery sizes? It seems like something people want (and deserve) to know. 
    Nobody “deserves” to know any of the specs. You can’t go by battery size to directly estimate battery life. That’s why Apple gives a much more useful set of battery life specs. By comparing them model to èmodel, and year to year, you know what to expect. Battery size isn’t helpful. We also know that iPhones need a substantially smaller battery than comparable Android phones for the same battery life. That’s mainly due to the known inefficiency of Android, due to decisions Google made way back in the development, which they’re finding very difficult to alter now.

also look at reviews at reliable sites such as Arstechnica and Anandtech. They have comparative battery life charts. Additionally, they make mention of the fact that Apple’s battery life specs are more accurate than competitors, and are often somewhat conservative.
    You somehow neglected to mention that this is your opinion, not a fact. In my view, if a person is buying a product, he or she “deserves” to know the technical specs of it. Whether that information is misinterpreted is another story. The same could be said about camera resolution or memory size. The information should be there and yes, the estimated battery life, with the slew of disclaimers, should be included as well. 
    Also, to say that it shouldn’t be given by Apple because other sites gives this information doesn’t make sense. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 54

Apple Music is a streaming service, you’re essentially renting music for a monthly/yearly fee. If you want to own the music then purchase it from the iTunes Store and back it up. Mac’s come with a 1 year warranty unless you buy the AppleCare+. You’re a fool not to add AppleCare+ for every Apple product you purchase. 

Yeh, that's true about Apple Music.  But the other part is that when you subscribe your music library disappears -- which is what he is talking about.

And, I agree that smart people always add AppleCare+.   But those who aren't up on Apple & how it works may think its just another of those extra warranties that are generally a rip off and not a smart buy.   They're not fools.   They're just not well informed.   Plus, until recently you could only get it for the first 2 or 3 years on a brand new product (usually not an "open box" or used).   So, even if he was able to and did take AppleCare+ out on his Mac, it may have expired.

Apple expanding AppleCare+ out to an ongoing subscription is one of the best things they ever did.
    But, designing $800 keyboards is one of the stupidist (at least in my book) --- Thinkpads have better keyboards and I can replace mine in 10 minutes for $40)

No, I wasn't trying to trash Apple.   But even Steve Jobs knew that they were not a perfect company always doing the perfect thing.   And these are two of the things that prove that.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 54
    fred1 said:
    melgross said:
    fred1 said:
    Any idea why Apple doesn’t make known battery sizes? It seems like something people want (and deserve) to know. 
    Nobody “deserves” to know any of the specs. You can’t go by battery size to directly estimate battery life. That’s why Apple gives a much more useful set of battery life specs. By comparing them model to èmodel, and year to year, you know what to expect. Battery size isn’t helpful. We also know that iPhones need a substantially smaller battery than comparable Android phones for the same battery life. That’s mainly due to the known inefficiency of Android, due to decisions Google made way back in the development, which they’re finding very difficult to alter now.

also look at reviews at reliable sites such as Arstechnica and Anandtech. They have comparative battery life charts. Additionally, they make mention of the fact that Apple’s battery life specs are more accurate than competitors, and are often somewhat conservative.
    You somehow neglected to mention that this is your opinion, not a fact. In my view, if a person is buying a product, he or she “deserves” to know the technical specs of it. Whether that information is misinterpreted is another story. The same could be said about camera resolution or memory size. The information should be there and yes, the estimated battery life, with the slew of disclaimers, should be included as well. 
    Also, to say that it shouldn’t be given by Apple because other sites gives this information doesn’t make sense. 

I think its complicated.  While I generally agree that all specs should be public,  a good example of why they can be misleading is from years ago when Apple went to the PowerPC processor from IBM and Motorolla.   At the time (and still today) processor power was measured in Ghz.   But the RISC based PowerPC processor ran at much lower Ghz but still put out more work.

Comparing the PowerPC to an Intel processor using conventional means would have been very misleading.

The truth is that it is complicated.   The quality of computer screens for instance depend on far more than just resolution.  But most just look at resolution to decide which is the better screen.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Knowing the battery size is relevant but far from the only factor. Battery Size can give an idea of how different iPhone models compare but as everyone knows software and hardware design play a bigger role.

As far as Apple’s specs go, you can’t completely trust those, either. Companies in many different sectors are notorious for overstating capabilities or performing the tests in such unrealistic conditions that they are unachievable in real life. 

@Anilu_777 is correct - mm wave is meaningless for virtually everyone. The problem is there are presently no other benefits to 5G that the average user will notice in routine use. mmWave speeds give a wow-factor; without that people wouldn’t be willing to pay extra for devices of service. Additionally, as GeorgeB states, there may well be a power cost to 5G. Wouldn’t that be lovely if your battery life dropped 10-15% because of 5G and all you got was a 10% increase in speeds, or worse yet, no benefit. 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    MplsP said:

@Anilu_777 is correct - mm wave is meaningless for virtually everyone. The problem is there are presently no other benefits to 5G that the average user will notice in routine use. mmWave speeds give a wow-factor; without that people wouldn’t be willing to pay extra for devices of service. Additionally, as GeorgeB states, there may well be a power cost to 5G. Wouldn’t that be lovely if your battery life dropped 10-15% because of 5G and all you got was a 10% increase in speeds, or worse yet, no benefit. 

Quick!  You better tell all those companies betting their company and sinking billions of dollars into it that they're wasting their money!   And the poor Chinese!  They covered their whole country in it! 

Such fools!  They listened to the experts! 

(As for additional power drain, we need information on that.  And I've seen very little.  Mostly conjecture.   But, since 5G involves adding a sophisticated processor then it is reasonable that it could use power faster.   But, then so does every other hardware enhancement in an iPhone or Apple Watch.  The question is:   how much and is does the benefit out weigh the cost?  Since you claim that there is no benefit then that equation should be easy for you.  But too, there is no one simple answer to that because the benefit will be increasing as providers roll out 5G across the country).
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 30 of 54

Yeh, that's true about Apple Music.  But the other part is that when you subscribe your music library disappears -- which is what he is talking about.

And, I agree that smart people always add AppleCare+.   But those who aren't up on Apple & how it works may think its just another of those extra warranties that are generally a rip off and not a smart buy.   They're not fools.   They're just not well informed.   Plus, until recently you could only get it for the first 2 or 3 years on a brand new product (usually not an "open box" or used).   So, even if he was able to and did take AppleCare+ out on his Mac, it may have expired.

Apple expanding AppleCare+ out to an ongoing subscription is one of the best things they ever did.
    But, designing $800 keyboards is one of the stupidist (at least in my book) --- Thinkpads have better keyboards and I can replace mine in 10 minutes for $40)

No, I wasn't trying to trash Apple.   But even Steve Jobs knew that they were not a perfect company always doing the perfect thing.   And these are two of the things that prove that.
    Correct, just like when you rent a Kindle book or rent an iTunes movie when the rental period is over it disappears from your device. Same principle with Apple Music. Everything Apple makes is expensive, do you really think a keyboard is going to cost $40 from Apple? Anyone that’s going to drop at least $1300 on a new or refurbished MBP have done their research. He also stated that he’s been an iPhone user since it’s inception so he would of been up on Apple. Besides Apple has had a problem in the past with the MacBook Pro keyboard and launched the Keyboard Service Program. That alone would warrant the purchase of AppleCare+. 
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Eric_WVGG said:
    neilm said:
    A 2,227 mAh battery will likely only last a few hours of normal use.  The mini is a nice size, but I could never deal with that small capacity battery.  I guess it could be good for some people, but with an A14 Bionic, they'd want to use it a lot and the battery will just poop out halfway through the day.  That's just crazy.  I would only be satisfied with the iPhone 12 Pro Max simply because that is the largest capacity battery available.
    Smaller screen also equals lower power consumption, other things being equal.
    ehhhh not really. The Max screens is only 5% larger than the regular Pro, the battery is 30% larger, and the battery life is 25% more. The larger screen might take a trivially larger amount of power (again, that screen is only 5% larger), but the battery is a LOT bigger and that gets turned into time, not screen. 

There's a lot of speculation that the Android world kicked off the phablet thing because they simply couldn't make a phone or OS that was as power-efficient as the iPhone 3gs, so instead they went big, which gave them equivalent battery time (thanks to much larger batteries) at the cost of only a little more power requirements (the screen doesn't make much of a difference.)

All of which is to say, I expect the battery life of the Mini to be really bad. Which is fine, I don't sit around glued to it all day.

iPhone 11 Pro Max’s display area is 21% larger than the iPhone 11 Pro... I don’t know where you get 5% from, even the diagonal is 12% larger?

iPhone 11 Pro: 134,9 x 62,3 mm = 8404
    iPhone 11 Pro Max: 148,9 x 68,8 mm = 10244 (121% of 11 Pro)
    supadav03MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    I have been advocating for small full featured iPhones for years, buying with both SEs and refusing to use phablets. Now I will put the money where my mouth is and then take it out and hand over to Apple for maxed-out iPhone 12 mini
    GeorgeBMacboomer0127watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 54

Correct, just like when you rent a Kindle book or rent an iTunes movie when the rental period is over it disappears from your device. Same principle with Apple Music. Everything Apple makes is expensive, do you really think a keyboard is going to cost $40 from Apple? Anyone that’s going to drop at least $1300 on a new or refurbished MBP have done their research. He also stated that he’s been an iPhone user since it’s inception so he would of been up on Apple. Besides Apple has had a problem in the past with the MacBook Pro keyboard and launched the Keyboard Service Program. That alone would warrant the purchase of AppleCare+. 

Wrong and wrong
    Neither he not I were talking about rented songs but purchased songs.
    And there have been plenty of people surprised at an $800 charge to replace a keyboard.    And, as I said, the $40 Thinkpad keyboard is superior to the $800 MacBook keyboard.   One was designed well.  The other wasn't.

Again, that's not to trash Apple.  But again, as I said, even Steve admitted that Apple wasn't perfect.
    supadav03muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:

Quick!  You better tell all those companies betting their company and sinking billions of dollars into it that they're wasting their money!   And the poor Chinese!  They covered their whole country in it! 

(As for additional power drain, we need information on that.  And I've seen very little.  Mostly conjecture.   But, since 5G involves adding a sophisticated processor then it is reasonable that it could use power faster.   But, then so does every other hardware enhancement in an iPhone or Apple Watch.  The question is:   how much and is does the benefit out weigh the cost?  Since you claim that there is no benefit then that equation should be easy for you.  But too, there is no one simple answer to that because the benefit will be increasing as providers roll out 5G across the country).
    ...and what benefits does 5g currently have for smartphone users? We’re all waiting for you to answer that with something besides a straw man argument or some over exaggeration about LTE being obsolete 1900’s technology that is useless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    There is no good reason not to reveal the information.

It is a specification and is useful for comparative purposes even if the variables in play make it hard to draw definitive conclusions. 
    Hmm, we agree. It’s like the old days of the megahertz wars. Different speeds when comparing different processor families wasn’t useful. Battery size isn’t useful either, other than for general size trends.
  • Reply 36 of 54

melgross said:
    fred1 said:

No they don’t. The specs given out are by the manufacturer’s choice. And by the way, that’s just YOUR opinion. And when specs can be misleading, the manufacturer shouldn’t give them out at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54

MplsP said:
    Knowing the battery size is relevant but far from the only factor. Battery Size can give an idea of how different iPhone models compare but as everyone knows software and hardware design play a bigger role.

As far as Apple’s specs go, you can’t completely trust those, either. Companies in many different sectors are notorious for overstating capabilities or performing the tests in such unrealistic conditions that they are unachievable in real life. 

Apple’s battery life specs are pretty accurate. Just go to the review sites and look up the history of manufacturers battery life estimates. You’ll see that Apple’s are always very close to what they state, and that the sites will mention that as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 54

MplsP said:

I doubt the Chinese, or anyone else, is covering their entire country with mm wave 5G. Regular 5G, yes, eventually. But mm? Not a real possibility.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    Most phones have good battery management systems onboard and are (were) also giving users what they wanted - all day battery life for most use cases. Those systems can also be heavily tweaked by the user. 

It is only recently that Apple has entered that club and they did it by increasing capacities. Those smart battery cases were a necessity for many. 

Once your use habits are established you start looking at how quickly you will begin to see a drop off in performance and that is partly down to capacity. The lower the capacity, the sooner you are likely to hit full cycles and by extension, see a hit in battery performance. 

Yes, the variables involved make it difficult to compare but you will likely get more out of a phone with a higher capacity than a lower one with two users of similar habits. 

But, as I said, there is no valid reason NOT to provide this information. At least from a user perspective. From Apple's perspective, they clearly don't want users comparing their capacities to competing flagships. That's a marketing angle though and has an easy solution : increase capacities to rival those of competing phones. 

muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 40 of 54
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    There is no good reason not to reveal the information.

It is a specification and is useful for comparative purposes even if the variables in play make it hard to draw definitive conclusions. 
    Hmm, we agree. It’s like the old days of the megahertz wars. Different speeds when comparing different processor families wasn’t useful. Battery size isn’t useful either, other than for general size trends.

I guess you disagree with Avon then. He mentioned no good reason NOT to reveal the information.