Early MagSafe Charger, iPhone 12 accessory orders start arriving

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
A number of Apple cusomers are already seeing products announced during Apple's second special event arrive on their doorsteps, with MagSafe chargers, the 20W USB-C power adapter, and other items arriving ahead of the iPhone 12 range.

A MagSafe Charger attached to an iPhone 12
A MagSafe Charger attached to an iPhone 12

Announced on Tuesday alongside the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models, Apple revealed it was introducing improved versions of accessories for its devices, including major changes to its charging accessories. Based on social media reports, it seems some users are already getting their accessories in advance of an anticipated delivery of an iPhone.

One post from Mihir Joshi posted to Twitter shows both a MagSafe Charger and the USB-C 20W Power Adapter, both in and out of their boxes. While MagSafe uses a collection of magnets to align perfectly with the iPhone 12 and other supportive hardware, the customer observed that there's some alignment possibilities for wireless charging of older iPhone models, suggesting the charging pad "weakly sticks" to the iPhone 11 Pro where the charging coil is located.

The new Apple MagSafe charger and the USB-C 20W Power Adapter arrived early! A month to go before my iPhone 12 Pro Max arrives #MagSafe #magsafecharger #apple pic.twitter.com/PSDerNsgSg

-- Mihir Joshi (@riffola)

In a separate tweet by Filip Chudzinski, an order for an iPhone 12 Pro Silicone Case in Deep Navy and the MagSafe Charger are shown in a series of photos. The case is shown to have a white ring in the center, lining up with the charging coil position on the iPhone 12.

A shot of the packaging for the MagSafe Charger shows it is packaged in a fold-out container, with one half holding the charging puck in a pocket, while the other holds the coiled-up cable.

Snap! A first look at the iPhone 12 (Pro) Silicone Case in Deep Navy and the MagSafe charger. | #iPhone12 #iPhone12Pro #MagSafe #AppleEvent pic.twitter.com/oa8Lh8IlF6

-- Filip Chudzinski (@choreographics)

Preorders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro commenced on Friday, with the earliest deliveries anticipated to take place on October 23. Preorders for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini will start from November 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Does anyone know what happened to the dual charger shown in the keynote? It’s not listed on Apple’s online store now — I saved it as a fave last week...  
    mike1seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    For the iPhone 12 pro MagSafe charger does it need a 18w or 20w power brick???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    riciedd said:
     I’m pretty sure it has to be the 20w
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    riciedd said:
    I'd be interested to know as well, since I already have a 18W usb-c brick.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    insync88 said:
    riciedd said:
     I’m pretty sure it has to be the 20w
    I very much doubt it requires the 20w charger. That picture on the back of the box is most likely because that’s the charger Apple now sells, but there is no reason the 18w charger shouldn’t work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Looking forward to reviews of this MagSafe in about a year’s time.  Still skeptical of magnets being in the phones and then the phones being in pockets, etc.  I know,  they say it’s shielded?  Or is that only if you have a “special” phone case?
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 7 of 17
    riciedd said:
    Someone posted the list of power requirements for the MagSafe charger and it said it needed 20 watts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    drdavid said:
    riciedd said:
    Someone posted the list of power requirements for the MagSafe charger and it said it needed 20 watts. 
    There’s still the good old non MagSafe lightning to USB-C available as backup which works with both the 18 and 20 watt chargers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hope 3rd party manufacturers come out MagSafe(magnet + charging) car adapters. Many types of car adapters available but the easy viewing clip-on to air vent Magsafe can become popular alternative to those without CarPlay feature in car as Phone used extensively for navigation tool. Moreover, wireless charging in car is not a standard feature.
    Anyone would support or comment on this ?
    edited October 2020 johncalvinyoungwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bluefire1 said:
    drdavid said:
    riciedd said:
    There’s still the good old non MagSafe lightning to USB-C available as backup which works with both the 18 and 20 watt chargers. 

"Good Old" and "USB-C to Lightening" is a non-sequitor
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 17
    The MagSafe feature is a great addition, but it would have been better if it could also transmit audio to a connected speaker either at home or in a car. Sure Bluetooth works for that but it could switch automatically when connected to the MagSafe pad. I have a similar setup in my car using a lightning connector that charges the iPhone and plays audio to my car's radio.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    peterhart said:
    Does anyone know what happened to the dual charger shown in the keynote? It’s not listed on Apple’s online store now — I saved it as a fave last week...  

Me too. Where is the Duo??? LOL
    And leather cases? How long will I have my new phone without a case? Maybe I'll and order a silicone case if it's going to be a while.

edited October 2020 seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    The MagSafe feature is a great addition, but it would have been better if it could also transmit audio to a connected speaker either at home or in a car. Sure Bluetooth works for that but it could switch automatically when connected to the MagSafe pad. I have a similar setup in my car using a lightning connector that charges the iPhone and plays audio to my car's radio.
    More than that, with a couple of rare exceptions, CarPlay requires a wired connection.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mike1 said:
    peterhart said:

Me too. Where is the Duo??? LOL
    And leather cases? How long will I have my new phone without a case? Maybe I'll and order a silicone case if it's going to be a while.

Precisely why I'm waiting to order my new phone. I want a magsafe leather case, day 1. Last I heard those are expected in November, which I'd guess coordinating with the opening of mini/max preorders.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    wood1208 said:
    Hope 3rd party manufacturers come out MagSafe(magnet + charging) car adapters. Many types of car adapters available but the easy viewing clip-on to air vent Magsafe can become popular alternative to those without CarPlay feature in car as Phone used extensively for navigation tool. Moreover, wireless charging in car is not a standard feature.
    Anyone would support or comment on this ?
    Wasn't this Belkin charger in the presentation?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

It's wireless. So, that's what Bluetooth is for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That'd be a mess of wires; no thanks.