Microsoft delivers Xbox One game streaming to iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iPhone
Microsoft on Monday released a refreshed version of the Xbox app that allows users to stream Xbox One games to iPhone and iPad.

Xbox App

The latest version of the official Xbox app for iOS and iPadOS enables remote gaming from an Xbox One console. A hotly anticipated feature, remote gaming was teased in September.

Not to be confused with xCloud, Microsoft's cloud-based gaming service, remote play requires a host console from which games and streamed to compatible iPhone and iPad models. Like Sony's Playstation 4 remote play solution, Xbox mirroring facilitates a direct connection to an Xbox One, not the cloud.

According to The Verge, users can connect to their Xbox over Wi-Fi or cellular. Remote functionality extends to the Xbox system, allowing users to turn the device on while away from home. The console will boot without visual or audio alerts, and will enter standby mode after a period of inactivity, the report says.

In addition to Xbox One mirroring, today's app refresh delivers the ability to set up new consoles and queue games, view and share game clips and screenshots, and chat with friends across devices.

Citing security concerns, Apple currently restricts cloud gaming services from operating on iOS. The company loosened restrictions in September, opening the door to products like xCloud, Google's Stadia and Amazon's Luna, albeit with a few substantial hurdles.

Apple policy dictates cloud-based game streaming providers are allowed to market their wares in a "catalog" app as long as each game listed includes a link to an individual App Store pages. Alternatively, companies can create a browser-based solution that relies on web apps to stream gaming content to iPhone and iPad users, a solution adopted by Amazon.

The Xbox app is a free download from the App Store.
razorpit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    When I click the free download link it goes to OneCast not Xbox
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Pretty huge. Have been able to do that with my PS4 but been wanting it for Xbox forever. Huzzah! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It's a remote app. MS could have done this years ago just like Sony and other companies. They just chose not to bother until now. 
    aderutterEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It's a remote app. MS could have done this years ago just like Sony and other companies. They just chose not to bother until now. 
    And now they have, so it's news.  Why such a downer?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    crowley said: Why such a downer?
    It probably has been a downer for Xbox users that wanted the same remote functionality as Playstation. 
    EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    It probably has been a downer for Xbox users that wanted the same remote functionality as Playstation. 
    Microsoft is under no more obligation to provide any particular apps and services to any particular platform than Apple is. That you feel otherwise is par for the course for how entitled Apple device owners are.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Microsoft didn't want to do this at all.  They wanted to have the superior solution (XCloud) available on all platforms.  Apple's prohibition meant they had to fall back to this old feature as a compromise.  This feature requires the user to already own an XBOX. ←That's a far, far more limited potential audience than the audience of almost anyone with an Apple device.  XCloud has no prerequisite of console ownership.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    And now they have it, so great!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cloudguy said: Microsoft is under no more obligation to provide any particular apps and services to any particular platform than Apple is. That you feel otherwise is par for the course for how entitled Apple device owners are.
    I clearly said that Microsoft chose not to provide it. Obviously, if they think users will like it now, then users probably would have liked it then as well (i.e. around the same time that the Playstation remote app was released for iOS). Nothing that I've said involves entitlement or assigning obligation to MS. 
    EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12

CloudTalkin said: Microsoft didn't want to do this at all.  They wanted to have the superior solution (XCloud) available on all platforms.
    But they've already said that they will bring Xbox cloud gaming to the browser in iOS next year. IMO, that makes it very likely that MS knew that a cloud gaming app wouldn't be approved for the App Store but did some due diligence on it anyway. That also probably means the browser version was already in progress.
    EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Microsoft didn't want to do this at all.  They wanted to have the superior solution (XCloud) available on all platforms.  Apple's prohibition meant they had to fall back to this old feature as a compromise.  This feature requires the user to already own an XBOX. ←That's a far, far more limited potential audience than the audience of almost anyone with an Apple device.  XCloud has no prerequisite of console ownership.
    Apple provided rules that Microsoft (and Google & other)s had to follow to bring their game streaming apps to Apple's App Store.  Microsoft did not like them and Microsoft chose not to create an app for their game streaming service.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12

CloudTalkin said: Microsoft didn't want to do this at all.  They wanted to have the superior solution (XCloud) available on all platforms.
    But they've already said that they will bring Xbox cloud gaming to the browser in iOS next year. IMO, that makes it very likely that MS knew that a cloud gaming app wouldn't be approved for the App Store but did some due diligence on it anyway. That also probably means the browser version was already in progress.
    Bringing XCloud to the browser for iOS was their fallback.  Their primary desire was for XCloud to work exactly the same regardless of platform.  Which is what I've already stated, but for some reason you parsed to remove the context.  I'm sure they did realize there was a chance the streaming app wouldn't make it to the app store.  That doesn't change my contention that the streaming XCloud app (not web app) was their primary desire.  
    nicholfd said:
    Apple provided rules that Microsoft (and Google & other)s had to follow to bring their game streaming apps to Apple's App Store.  Microsoft did not like them and Microsoft chose not to create an app for their game streaming service.  
    Did you think my point not clear enough that you had to rephrase what I already said? Or do you think you've stated something different than I did?