Apple may adopt large-scale MagSafe technology for Apple Car charging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Is Apple going to ever build this mythical car?

No.

I'd complain about yet another incompatible charging standard (that will at least be illegal in Europe) but this won't ever exist.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    MacPro said:
    Brilliant.  No more absent-mindedly driving off, towing the charging station along behind!

... is a thing that nobody ever had happen.

Electric cars know when they're plugged in, they won't move.

My Ford PHEV will happily drive off with a gas hose in, but if the charge cord is connected it won't move an inch, won't even shift out of park.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    entropys said:
    Isn’t a better solution just a charging plate on the floor of the garage you just drive over and park above while charging? This seems very complicated.
    Or even better yet, a charging system that takes five minutes to “fill ‘Er up!”
    What? Your garage is not full of junk, kids toys, bikes and other ephemera?
    What? You have a garage?

Oh, how lucky some people are...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    Is Apple going to ever build this mythical car?

Beat me to it. The Legend lives. Relative to electronics, car assembly is orders of magnitude more complex. I just don’t see Apple getting in on their own. Much more likely to partner with legacy car makers, licensing Apple-developed systems. 

I think one of the reasons we’re seeing so many new electric car companies and at least one that seems to be doing pretty well, after many decades with very few new car companies, is that electric cars are a lot simpler, with fewer parts than “traditional” cars with internal combustion engines. There are still plenty of challenges, but not like entering the legacy car business. Profit margins on electric cars are also much better, at least for now, probably for the same reason. 
  • Reply 25 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member

MacPro said:
    Brilliant.  No more absent-mindedly driving off, towing the charging station along behind!
    Hah! Fortunately, my A3 e-Tron won't let me drive off if it is plugged in. (I know, because I've forgotten to unplug it a couple times when I first got it!) I imagine all PHEV and BEV have this feature.
    I wonder why gas-powered vehicles haven't included this innovation. I guess the cost/benefit ratio is too high.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    One must ask if Apple intends for its "iCar" to be sold in America only, or worldwide.

• Exactly one third of the world's population drives on the left side of the road; (mostly south-east Asia and south-east Africa.
    • Only the US/Canada/Ecuador/Liberia use 110V/60Hz; there are four other electrical systems in use world-wide;
    • Less than half of US car owners have garages in which they are allowed to install charging systems; worldwide the percentage would be less.
    • Only 1 in 25 people in the world live in the US. The market for cars is world-wide. Especially Europe and China. Also Japan, Australia, NZ & Argentina.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    One must ask if Apple intends for its "iCar" to be sold in America only, or worldwide.

• Exactly one third of the world's population drives on the left side of the road; (mostly south-east Asia and south-east Africa.
    • Only the US/Canada/Ecuador/Liberia use 110V/60Hz; there are four other electrical systems in use world-wide;
    • Less than half of US car owners have garages in which they are allowed to install charging systems; worldwide the percentage would be less.
    • Only 1 in 25 people in the world live in the US. The market for cars is world-wide. Especially Europe and China. Also Japan, Australia, NZ & Argentina.
    One has to wonder if any car maker would create a unique version of their vehicle just for the tiny US market, or the even less consequential California market.

Oh yeah, they all do. Huh.
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

One has to wonder if any car maker would create a unique version of their vehicle just for the tiny US market, or the even less consequential California market.

Who can imagine Apple shipping different power adaptors for computers in different regions, different language packs, or different keyboards for different alphabets?  It's surely impossible!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member

Actually quite common.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I've always wondered why gas stations don't "automate" for fueling. This is a good step. Way so many people are "slow" to get out of the car, fuddle with payments, and so on wasting a lot of time. 

Automation of gas and electricity delivery will speed up the service significantly. 

• Reply 31 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    zimmie said:
    NotoriousDEV said:

Beat me to it. The Legend lives. Relative to electronics, car assembly is orders of magnitude more complex. I just don’t see Apple getting in on their own. Much more likely to partner with legacy car makers, licensing Apple-developed systems. 

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."
    There are meaningful differences between the industries. Most importantly, a phone, tablet, or desktop computer generally doesn't pose a risk to life when something goes wrong. The assembly methods and techniques also don't pose nearly as much of a risk to the workers. It's extremely easy to get grievously injured on a car production line.

The problems are not insurmountable, but building a safety culture is a lot harder than designing their own processors. It takes time and a lot of blood to get right.
    I understand it's different than building a smartphone. I'm just saying they have the drive (heh) and resources to do it, and they're clearly working hard on it for many years now as we can see with myriad patents on every level of what makes up a vehicle. My main point, though, is that they're not going to simply license some system to another vehicle maker. Of course they'll partner with manufacturers for parts and assembly just like they do with every other single product they design. But, it'll be an Apple vehicle top to bottom. Whether it comes sooner or later is another story.
  • Reply 32 of 33

Good grief. Are you seriously suggesting they wouldn't be able to adapt their products to different markets? Do you know how many countries Apple operates in? Give me an effing break.
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 33
    entropys said:

Actually quite common.
    /woosh