Quibi lands on Apple TV as service fights to survive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
As it struggles to compete with industry titans Netflix and Amazon, streaming service provider Quibi this week jumped from the smartphone to the big screen with apps for set-top boxes like Apple TV.

Quibi

Announced with little fanfare, Quibi's living room apps and channels deliver the service to owners of Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Fire stick, and Android TV devices.

Users of Apple's platform will need an existing Quibi account and a fourth-generation Apple TV or Apple TV 4K running tvOS 12 or higher. After downloading the Quibi app for tvOS, subscribers have the option of signing in via an activation code or by inputting the email and password associated with their account.

Quibi's living room app debut arrives amid whispers that the company is trying to sell itself after initial subscriber numbers failed to live up to expectations. Founder Jeffrey Katzenberg is reportedly on the prowl for buyers and recently approached Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue to gauge Apple's interest in the short-form content provider. Cue declined.

Launched in April, Quibi touted itself as a breakthrough streaming medium for the on-the-go generation. Along with bite-sized episodes, the service's content is shot and delivered with mobile consumption in mind. For example, all Quibi shows can be viewed on smartphones in both portrait and landscape modes.

With some $2 billion invested, Quibi anticipated to reach seven million subscribers after one year. It is currently estimated to have between 400,000 and 500,000 paying subscribers, some of whom received a free subscription through a T-Mobile promotion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Finally. Perfect for those under 10 minute visits to the couch in between power lunch meetings. 
    spock1234StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Death knell. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Great, now I have to get a wall mount that flips to portrait mode.
    spock1234StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Kaput. Everyone involved in this service is going to lose their shirts.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Despite poor reviews, I actually rather enjoyed The Fugitive. There are other shows that look interesting, but I just don’t find the time to watch them. Ironic, considering the platform.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    They have a product no one wants and that cannot generate enough money to cover their expenses. You cannot compete against Netflix and others who have full length movies and series. Additionally their format already has a platform they could have used at little to no cost: YouTube. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    vertical video on the big screen? nah. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I am not sure what advantage they thought Apple would gain by buying it.

The streaming market is flooded with content and failed to gather enough eyeballs during a pandemic and lockdown. Apple is already dealing with a second tier streaming service that looks to be a perpetual also-ran.

I would say we are headed for shake-out and consolidation phase in the streaming video market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    loopychew said:
    Great, now I have to get a wall mount that flips to portrait mode.
    vertical video on the big screen? nah. 
    The video content works in both portrait and landscape mode. I haven't seen this to see how it works and frankly I don't care, but just saying.
    watto_cobra